Converting Vinyl to Digital Format...where to go?

soulforged

One of my relatives wants to convert his entire Vinyl collection into digital format (MP3). Do you know of anybody who provides this as a service?

The person is located in Ahmedabad, so it would be greate if the conversion can be done there. If not, Mumbai, Bangalore, Mysore or Delhi are the other prefered locations (in that order).

:signthankspin:

One of my relatives wants to convert his entire Vinyl collection into digital format (MP3). Do you know of anybody who provides this as a service?

The person is located in Ahmedabad, so it would be greate if the conversion can be done there. If not, Mumbai, Bangalore, Mysore or Delhi are the other prefered locations (in that order).

:signthankspin:
Narendra, here is a simple solution:

• PM me all the titles and your relative's address
  • I will give him all the titles in 320kbps MP3 format
  • Courier the hard-disk\data DVDs back to your relative with my address
  • Your relative to send all the LPs:licklips: to me in exchange:eek:hyeah:

Last edited:
Hi soul. The above mentioned idea is great. Please tell your relative that if he loves lps n is ready to spend a little on the rig, he can still maintain and enjoy vinyls. If he has a decent system, vinyl sound is much better than the digital varsions. Still if he feels its cumbersome to maintain all lps, he can enlist all the titles he has. We guys will give you the music in mp3 or wav format in return for the same lp.
Denon usb turntable is tailormade for this purpose only and costs around 15k
Its available in india.
However, its better to get music on company original titles like other posters have suggested. Conversion of analogues to digital on denon will be at best mediocre. Its suggested only when you have you personal/family recordings or videos which arent in market. Vinyl titles are as a rule available in digital formats already.
Still if its rare titles u have, and only select few titlez for which buying ur own denon usb aint feasible, I d love to do it for you for free provided u have titles I desire to own. Else, oblige other posters .
Ps. Denon usb will only work for 33 and 45 rpm lps not 78 rpm ones

I am totally surprised at sudden interest in 'GUJARATI' LPs :lol:
just kidding.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As digitizing being tedious process I would recommend to digitize only songs/albums which are not available easily. Depending on titles popular songs/albums should be available easily.
Regds.

Guys, do you really think I'd hand over the LPs on a platter??? :D :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

I have my eyes firmly planted on them...he has promised me the LPs only if he can get them in digital format...

Stupid me did not think of the idea of replacing them with CDs :mad:

But I'd still be interested in knowing if there's such a service available...

Stupid me did not think of the idea of replacing them with CDs :mad:

Since I gave this idea, its ethical you share 40-50% of the vinyl you get :)

I dont think anyone good enough who offers this service in India. In fact, I remember Shaiza (might have got his name wrong) was saying he might think of starting one since no one is offering it. And trust me you dont want that Denon USB nonsense, the quality is bad and your friend will run hearing the mp3

Better bet wuold be to contact those video cassette to vcd conversion guys that are present by the dozen. ask if they convert the cassettes to mp3 or wav. If yes, befriend one of em, take ur own tt and phono pre to him with all the lps. Signal generated by phono over rca cable would be same as that by any other source a la cassettes. The sq will depend on your vinyl rigz output. U may get the digital file in wma or wmv or mp3 format. Same could be achieved at home if any nerdy guy has pc with right wares.
Since I gave the idea and mbr has already claimed 40-50% titles, its imperative that you give another 40-50% titles to me. U can keep the remaining stuff.....:):)
Well at least tell us what titles are there.

:lol:

you guys are cracking me up :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

I agree...royalty has to be paid...like the dialog in Sholay "aadhey idhar jao, aadhey udhar jao..." :D

His collection is mainly old hindi films and some classicals...

Get a Asus Xonar ST card for your desktop and plug the phono out into this and encode the analog into digital WAV/FLAC masters. Then transcode into mp3.

You will have to find a good application that does this and learn the settings with some trial and error after listening tests of digital output burnt on CD on your audiophile gear.

What say?

Cheers

there is a company in chennai called CD Tech who told me that they do conversion of LPs to CDs when I asked them a few years ago. the company is on pantheon road, next to fountain plaza in egmore. will hv to check if they still do the conversions

:lol:

you guys are cracking me up :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

I agree...royalty has to be paid...like the dialog in Sholay "aadhey idhar jao, aadhey udhar jao..." :D

His collection is mainly old hindi films and some classicals...

Both Santol and MB Ram deserves share from the LPs. Play fair ;)

Enjoy the LPs once you get that :licklips:

sorry to butt in guys... I don't want to play spoilsport when you've got a good thing going.

@ soulforged,

I've tried ripping with audio cassettes with some success (haven't managed to get hold of a decent TT yet), and I believe the technique is more or less the same -
You need some audio grabber software like dBpoweramp (a paid software) or an opensource software like EAC (Exact Audio Copy) or CDex. You need to connect your source to the comp.'s sound input socket (not mic.) and begin recording. The output is in WAV format and I'm sure you can take it up from there onwards! Just ensure that the sound level remains below 0 db while recording. This can be achieved by trial & error - a few dummy runs to get the sound level correctly.

If your relative can spare some time for this, he can do the whole conversion thing himself and save himself from these guys in the bargain!

sorry to butt in guys... I don't want to play spoilsport when you've got a good thing going.

@ soulforged,

I've tried ripping with audio cassettes with some success (haven't managed to get hold of a decent TT yet), and I believe the technique is more or less the same -
You need some audio grabber software like dBpoweramp (a paid software) or an opensource software like EAC (Exact Audio Copy) or CDex. You need to connect your source to the comp.'s sound input socket (not mic.) and begin recording. The output is in WAV format and I'm sure you can take it up from there onwards! Just ensure that the sound level remains below 0 db while recording. This can be achieved by trial & error - a few dummy runs to get the sound level correctly.

If your relative can spare some time for this, he can do the whole conversion thing himself and save himself from these guys in the bargain!

P.S: I think your relative can think in terms of sharing some of his goodies with me for a change.... and I come reasonable!! :lol:

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back