Cosmic Lab Series

I listened to 3 cosmic system around 12 to 15 years ago. I loved them the first time I heard them in a cassette recording shop being driven by a Sansui amp and placement being non stereo - was blown by the tonality.

Then again I listened to an all Cosmic setup with a T-Series CDP at a friend's place. The speakers were 3-way and had white plastic like woofers which my friend claimed was higher end than the cassette shop speaker. Still the memories of this system audition is embedded in my memory.

Then ~9 years ago when I was ready to buy my own system the Cosmic brand was not available. I googled and found the contact of the manufacturer. I gave him a call and he said he still has stock of parts and could put together a pair for 8k but mentioned that I should listen to a pair he recently made for his friend near Basavanagudi in Bangalore if I wanted a demo. So, I went to the place with my favorite tapes(they had mentioned they did not have a CDP). Though the system sounded good, that magic was lost. So I was undecided for a while .... saved up more and went in for a Jamo E570.

Would like to listen to a Cosmic system again if anyone has it. Will check with my friend as well if he still has them.

Hi guys,
my cosmic lab 5000 mk II has finally decided to take a break afterall...emiting this buzzing sound as soon as its switched on even though the vol in on low....any suggestions where i can give it a good repair/servicing...???

Hi guys,
my cosmic lab 5000 mk II has finally decided to take a break afterall...emiting this buzzing sound as soon as its switched on even though the vol in on low....any suggestions where i can give it a good repair/servicing...???

Since you are in mumbai & as per your location, closer to dadar, contact Sanjay Raut on 9820008982 who is based in shivaji park area.

He will put you cosmic back into order. Do post your experience post rectification :)

i own a lab 3000 cosmic amp and cosmic 10 channel equalizer purchased from SEEPZ cosmic Mumbai factory arounf 1997-98, but now it needs servicing any service centres or technician who can repair it in chennai

hii folks when i born my dad bought cosmic .i grow up listening in cosmic Lab 3000 solid state and the finest speakers ever made covax 5000 & cogram 4k turntable i still remember dancing with the diamond needle...i never used to eat until unless they allow me to play 'We are the world from u.s.a for africa in early 80's i pray and wish those days come back ... :mad:

Hi to all,
Though this thread is quite old, i have stumbled across it today only. I also owned Cosmic Co 100 & Preowned Cosmic Lab 5 amplifier. Since it was my first music system, i liked it' SQ it was around 1994. However as my knowledge regarding the sound improved i found the speakers COVOX 4500 very much brighter with too much emphasis on the mid & high frequencies with very little bass. I tried using equiliser but it only increased the boomyness. I also tried diff. amplifiers, eg Sony Ta Ax 44, Yamaha RX 570 & a vintage sony receiver but i did not get any improvement in the bass section. I still have those speakers, i now use it with Yamaha RX 570. But the end result is the same very annoying high frequency response.

Prasad,
If possible try checking the value of parts in speaker crossover. Specially the bigger value resistor/s and capacitor/s. If values don't measure as mentioned on them change them. Also check physical condition of all the drivers.
Regards

Hi
i vikramjain need cosmic Lab 5000 or 6000 amp
MB 8817023459

hi folks
nice to c cosmic amp lovers today in this forum
i use cosmic amp spk from 1979 i still use it
early i had cosmic co 40 with covox 1500 spk basic 15 watts rms at 4 ohms per channel with 6500 deck my dad bought it
later i got cosmic lab 5000 with covox 6000 spk huge enough 26 kg weight per spk from the company andheri -e nr paper box in 2001 with good discount. rms of 75 watts per ch 4ohms spk 12 inch woofer / 2 - 6 inch mid / 2 dome twetter.
i wanted phono for the amp . co stooped giving phono input for lab concert series
they gave me provision for phono pre on aux2
still i was not satisfied with the sound quality which they gave in old 80s
i got a co 100 amp old steel dial amp connected to my piooner cs 405 spk. fantastic sound quality on phono and other inputs
i heard form lot of people that cosmic made lab 3000 amp old with samll vu meters , that is the best model in amp with covox 4500 spk
early days cosmic use to make wooden body top . good quality controls inside . cosmic had a collabration with akai in 80s that time cosmic made 39 deck which was a hot choclate cake 7500 rs and they gave in one month time period. very good for recording
with glass head with akai collabration. most of the people used for recording on cassete.
that was a diff era of music old times of 70s 80s.
the era has gone with the winds. music is more digital now micro chips carry digital signals to listen to music .analog world of music is gone.
but still world is round and round.

lp records ar made after 14 yrs analog music , vinyl records nice to c cum back .
people still use amp spk for music.
sound good for 2 ch stereo on amp better than av receiver only good for movies.
cosmic is a ragad piece solid state amp last for yrs generation to gen
only thing is most music lovers dont like indian sys for music
but i like it i am proud to use it .
bye thanks enjoy all

Hi mrunalrane its vikram from BHopal
I want cosmic Lab 5000 amp in good condition
My contact no is 8817023459

Came across a LAB5000MKII on sunday due thanks to Hemant, was quite taken back when I saw it as it reminded me of my dad's LAB3000. Wasted no time in connecting it to my DIY speakers & hear how it performs. Was trying hard to recollect how it sounded vis-a-vis the LAB3000 but could not make any recollection :( yes I was quite sad but as of that moment did not much like its pairing with my DIY's. Maybe a case of speakers/amp mismatch, maybe i'm spoilt by the sound of my HK6550, but thats frankly what I felt.
Anyway, I took a couple of pics for the benefit of my fellow HFV Mates suffering from Cosmic Nostalgia , enjoy mates :)

511.jpg

611.jpg

710.jpg

810.jpg

910.jpg

112.jpg

212.jpg

312.jpg

412.jpg
Hi iam vikram from bhopal
Lab 5000 is a very nice amplifier
Its sound is osam & it has very deep and soft bass

Came across a LAB5000MKII on sunday due thanks to Hemant, was quite taken back when I saw it as it reminded me of my dad's LAB3000. Wasted no time in connecting it to my DIY speakers & hear how it performs. Was trying hard to recollect how it sounded vis-a-vis the LAB3000 but could not make any recollection :( yes I was quite sad but as of that moment did not much like its pairing with my DIY's. Maybe a case of speakers/amp mismatch, maybe i'm spoilt by the sound of my HK6550, but thats frankly what I felt.
Anyway, I took a couple of pics for the benefit of my fellow HFV Mates suffering from Cosmic Nostalgia , enjoy mates :)

511.jpg

611.jpg

710.jpg

810.jpg

910.jpg

112.jpg

212.jpg

312.jpg

412.jpg
Hi cosmic Lab 5000 is a very nice amplifier
I want one cosmic lab 5000 in a good condition

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi to all,
Though this thread is quite old, i have stumbled across it today only. I also owned Cosmic Co 100 & Preowned Cosmic Lab 5 amplifier. Since it was my first music system, i liked it' SQ it was around 1994. However as my knowledge regarding the sound improved i found the speakers COVOX 4500 very much brighter with too much emphasis on the mid & high frequencies with very little bass. I tried using equiliser but it only increased the boomyness. I also tried diff. amplifiers, eg Sony Ta Ax 44, Yamaha RX 570 & a vintage sony receiver but i did not get any improvement in the bass section. I still have those speakers, i now use it with Yamaha RX 570. But the end result is the same very annoying high frequency response.

Hi I want cosmic Lab 5000/6000 Amp
Mb 8817023459

Recently I got a semi-functioning COSMIC Lab 3000, MK-II for one of my friend who wanted it very badly for nostalgia sake. Got it recapped and refurbished completely. And now it's sounding fabulous. Even the inbuilt phono-stage is quite good IMO. Once the top wooden cover is veneered it'll be as good as new one.

The only problem with this amps are their controls. These are of custom built type and not available nowadays. Otherwise there is nothing in them that is not replaceable. All the transistors(or their substitutes) are easily available. The main board is nice and big for easy access to all the components.

Im Looking For Cosmic Covox 5000 speakers let me know if anybody got ..

I actually still have a pair of Cosmic speakers and a working LAB 3000 series amp, though I haven't used either in years. I've changed the tweeters over time to much smaller 2 inchers. But I can say the sound pales in comparison to what I have today. That's probably because the caps in the amp and speakers have dried out. It's been too expensive to have them replaced at todays prices. Guess time takes its toll on everything.

hi good to know u got cosmic speakers want to see them if u can upload pics :licklips: please will wait for your response .
thank you

I actually still have a pair of Cosmic speakers and a working LAB 3000 series amp, though I haven't used either in years. I've changed the tweeters over time to much smaller 2 inchers. But I can say the sound pales in comparison to what I have today. That's probably because the caps in the amp and speakers have dried out. It's been too expensive to have them replaced at todays prices. Guess time takes its toll on everything.

Which speakers Covox 7000 or 5000

hii folks when i born my dad bought cosmic .i grow up listening in cosmic Lab 3000 solid state and the finest speakers ever made covax 5000 & cogram 4k turntable i still remember dancing with the diamond needle...i never used to eat until unless they allow me to play 'We are the world from u.s.a for africa in early 80's i pray and wish those days come back ... :mad:

Sure they will keep praying:)

hi mrunalrane do you still have Cosmic Covox-1500 speakers if so pls send me the pics.

cosmic imho is not easy to rpair

:sad:Absolutely True:mad:

511.jpg

Hi Denom Felt nice that Mr.Hemant helped you with Cosmic Product:confused: you were right abt the speakers/amp mismatch because All Cosmic amps produce

their rated/peak output at 4 Ohms only you must have connected 8 Ohm speakers I have Cosmic LAB 3000/5000 MK II Owners manual the RMS Power

{Continuous Sine Wave } at Clipped Point is :75 watts at 4 Ohms / 55 watts at 8 Ohms these power ratings are only for single channel

both channel power ratings are :60 watts at 4 ohms / 50 watts at 8 Ohms [50 watt HK6550] Same & Cosmic LAB Mk II amplifiers had vents wher as LAB

stereomaster series did not had so even after three four decades if one ever opens it they will be stunned because they look almost brand new I cant say this

abt MK II's they get dust inside them pretty quickly even moisture too

Hi to all,

Hi Prasad I too suffered with the things you mentioned with Cosmic covox:mad:4500 after losing :sad: my Dad's Covox:licklips:5000 so recently I got Covox:licklips:7000 so I sold Covox 4500 & Covox 2500 Also

Danieljohn;628441 >>>> so recently I got Covox:licklips:7000 <<<<[/QUOTE said:
Please could you put up pictures of the Covox 7000 with and without the grills?
TIA

Hi SDK

Wish i knew your name. it seems you too are fond of Cosmic Products, I too have Cosmic CO-60 [working], LAB-3000: stereomaster & MK II [dead]

which speakers you paired with Cosmic CO-100 & 60, Pls post few pics of them.

Originally Covox 7000 & 5000 came with White Dual Cone 12" & 10" Fullrange drivers

the person who sold them to me said they are of 90's Cosmic product line

I belived him but they dont sound as good as My Father's Covox 5000 with Frd's

so I'm still searching for original condition Covox 7000 & 5000

The speakers on my Covox 7000 are original condition Cosmic-JBL's

DSC02079.jpg

DSC00007.jpg

DSC00006.jpg

DSC00005.jpg

DSC02073.jpg

TIA (Transient Ischemic Attack) ?

Last edited:
I am a huge Cosmic fan, to the utter disgust of my friends.

These johhny come latelys who critisize Cosmic and Arphi products all the time have no clue about the sound they produce nor about the sacrifice that our parents made to buy them as well as the sentiment attached to them.

I think in 1981 when my dad bought our cosmic system, consisting of the Tape Deck, CO-60 and Covox 2500 speakers, it must have cost him about two months of salary.

Currently i have 4 Cosmic amps, 2 CO-60 one silver and one black as well as two CO-100, both black. All are currently lying with Mr. Gopi for refurbishment following a FM's refferal. Hopefully they will all come back fully functional. Spares are a major problem not to mention expertise to repair these old beauties.

I am on the lookout for a reasonably priced Stereomaster amp.

Currently i have Covox 4500, secondhand with one speakers rebuilt with new drivers. As well as Arphi Mini Monitors, Super Challengers and Aquarius.

Gopal

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back