crossover parts

doors666

Hi Guys,

Where do you guys get the crossover parts from. I am looking to build a speaker soon and wanted to get cheap parts if possible for crossover, specially the expensive caps and inductors. I am on a really tight budget as I exceeded the costs in drivers:lol:. My friend will bring the drivers in dec end. If there is not much of a difference in costs or if india is more expensive for these, I might as well order from parts express/madisound itself. I can replace the cheap parts later with botiuqe stuff as and when budget allows.:)

thanx

crisscross got his inductors wound recently in Hyderabad from a local vendor, worth checking from him.

thanx george. is it a complicated process using a machine or it can be done by hand if you have an LCR meter. i will ping crisscross also for this. anyone in bangalore who does this.

what about the caps. i know u get caps at sp road, not sure how good/bad/suitable those are for crossovers.

Check with crisscross. I know that it can be done with a proper winder etc, but there is some trial and error involved in making them, and also one has to source good copper wire to do it.I suspect it is much easier to order them if one needs only a couple.

thanx guys for all the info. liked all the suggestions, the russian pio, erse etc are all good sources, but shipping ended up killing everything. eventually, I just ordered everything from parts express, with free shipping. Going by other routes, I probably would have saved 5 bucks, not worth the headache. The original BOM was also from PE, so atleast I know I am using what the designer used. Got to know some good resources though.

Please feel free to add more suggestions. I have a feeling I am going to need these for future projects, specially amps etc. Buying cheap parts for crossover has a distinct advantage of better utilizing money on drivers, and then later upgrading to better parts when budget allows. also takes care of upgraditis at a lesser cost.

using jack hidley's foster plate amp. 110w into 4 ohms.
got 8" tang band w8-1363sb. needed a small sub. room is pretty small. only for music, so no need for insane spl levels or extreme low end. if it does 35hz decently, thats good enough for me.

TM, didnt want mtm, kinda big. limited space on the desk, weird design (of desktop). can put 4 small speakers, but cant put 2big ones.

Hello doors....

Hi Guys,

Where do you guys get the crossover parts from. I am looking to build a speaker soon and wanted to get cheap parts if possible for crossover, specially the expensive caps and inductors. I am on a really tight budget as I exceeded the costs in drivers:lol:. My friend will bring the drivers in dec end. If there is not much of a difference in costs or if india is more expensive for these, I might as well order from parts express/madisound itself. I can replace the cheap parts later with botiuqe stuff as and when budget allows.:)

thanx

I recently built a pair of speakers using Easttech woofer and a 'dainty' metal dome tweeter...and now trying out the much better Peerless SR10DT fabric dome tweeter...

Well, for cross over - I have been lazy and gone with a single Capacitor ( MKP ?? 4.7 uF 100V/film type ) - These are available at SP Road ... you can try Amar / or other shops... I don't remember the names right away.... I don't know how good these are sonically compared to Parts-express kind of ones... ( Shiva ? Others -- Help !! )

Check with crisscross. I know that it can be done with a proper winder etc, but there is some trial and error involved in making them, and also one has to source good copper wire to do it.I suspect it is much easier to order them if one needs only a couple.

Well, George is right, finding inductor winders has been difficult. I however found out that winding your own is quite easy.... So, went and bought some inductor winding wire from SP road... There is a shop diagonally opposite Amar -- don't remember his name -- a Jain guy I think who stocks all kinds of Winding wires all gauges... I bought about 1/2 Kg of 19guage and 1/2 Kg of 20guage I think..... This came to about 500 Rs...

Well the plan is to wind my own inductors... 700 - 1000 turns -- I can count manually.... I remember winding Kite thread when I was young.... :))

I am planning to use Inductor Designer / Calculator to calculate and Inductors

I have been lazy in making these for two weeks now... So, if you are game, I am more than happy to share some of the material with you :) Atleast this way my own crossover circuits will also get moving :) PM me and we can talk..

BTW: Thanks !:eek:hyeah: You got me back on track with the project :)

Cheers
venu

Hello doors....

I recently built a pair of speakers using Easttech woofer and a 'dainty' metal dome tweeter...and now trying out the much better Peerless SR10DT fabric dome tweeter...

Well, for cross over - I have been lazy and gone with a single Capacitor ( MKP ?? 4.7 uF 100V/film type ) - These are available at SP Road ... you can try Amar / or other shops... I don't remember the names right away.... I don't know how good these are sonically compared to Parts-express kind of ones... ( Shiva ? Others -- Help !! )

Well, George is right, finding inductor winders has been difficult. I however found out that winding your own is quite easy.... So, went and bought some inductor winding wire from SP road... There is a shop diagonally opposite Amar -- don't remember his name -- a Jain guy I think who stocks all kinds of Winding wires all gauges... I bought about 1/2 Kg of 19guage and 1/2 Kg of 20guage I think..... This came to about 500 Rs...

Well the plan is to wind my own inductors... 700 - 1000 turns -- I can count manually.... I remember winding Kite thread when I was young.... :))

I am planning to use Inductor Designer / Calculator to calculate and Inductors

I have been lazy in making these for two weeks now... So, if you are game, I am more than happy to share some of the material with you :) Atleast this way my own crossover circuits will also get moving :) PM me and we can talk..

BTW: Thanks !:eek:hyeah: You got me back on track with the project :)

Cheers
venu

Please post us whether you have been able to wind nearly 1000 turns or whatever close. Just mind you, that one cannot wind haphazardly. You need to make sure there is very little air gap between adjacent windings as well between layers. I could not wind more than 100-150 turns. All the best.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back