Custom Speaker Cabinet - GR Research X-LS Encore

manjulaltn

Hello,

Is there anyone or anyplace in India who accepts custom orders for cutting speaker cabinet panels using CNC based on supplied measurements/box plan? For example https://www.think3d.in/ (This place is currently affected by Corona lockdown, so very less staff now for support :rolleyes:)

I am looking at someone who can cut the 20 MM MDF panels (flat packs) for me for a pair of GR Research X-LS Encores and ship them to me. Due to this Corona issue, all these shops in my area are in lockdown for the past 3+ months, otherwise I could've just bought the panel and did everything myself.

Getting the flat packs from US is not feasible as the shipping cost alone exceeds the cutting cost!

I am based out of Trivandrum, Kerala.

I got my GRR Cabinets done while at Trivandrum by very competent pro cinema box makers based out of Trivandrum. They don't own CNC but the finish is as good if not better. You can check out my build thread on HFV.

Let me know if interested and I'll ping their contact details.

I got my GRR Cabinets done while at Trivandrum by very competent pro cinema box makers based out of Trivandrum. They don't own CNC but the finish is as good if not better. You can check out my build in a thread on HFV.

Of course I am interested. Do you still have the contact information of those guys? Maybe I can also try and contact them if they are open?

Please get in touch with FM @sadik
He is the man who can work miracles when it comes to building stuff.
Cheers,
Raghu
Sure. Thank you. I have sent a message to him...waiting for replies

Hello,

Is there anyone or anyplace in India who accepts custom orders for cutting speaker cabinet panels using CNC based on supplied measurements/box plan? For example https://www.think3d.in/ (This place is currently affected by Corona lockdown, so very less staff now for support :rolleyes:)

I am looking at someone who can cut the 20 MM MDF panels (flat packs) for me for a pair of GR Research X-LS Encores and ship them to me. Due to this Corona issue, all these shops in my area are in lockdown for the past 3+ months, otherwise I could've just bought the panel and did everything myself.

Getting the flat packs from US is not feasible as the shipping cost alone exceeds the cutting cost!

I am based out of Trivandrum, Kerala.
Hello there, it is so exciting to see someone building the XLS Encore here in India. Danny is a genius and I have been wanting to listen to his speakers here in India. I was almost set to get the NX-Oticas or Xtremws build started but the issue is that the shipping of the flat packs alone will cost $2000 and it just goes out of bounds. Danny says even the cnc design file can’t be supplied for these designs as it is proprietary.
Please do keep us posted on the build and its progress.

I got my GRR Cabinets done while at Trivandrum by very competent pro cinema box makers based out of Trivandrum. They don't own CNC but the finish is as good if not better. You can check out my build in a thread on HFV.

Hello Captain, did you also build the encores or did you attempt the larger builds offered by GRR? Do you know of anyone in India who has made the NX series speakers?

Hello there, it is so exciting to see someone building the XLS Encore here in India. Danny is a genius and I have been wanting to listen to his speakers here in India. I was almost set to get the NX-Oticas or Xtremws build started but the issue is that the shipping of the flat packs alone will cost $2000 and it just goes out of bounds. Danny says even the cnc design file can’t be supplied for these designs as it is proprietary.
Please do keep us posted on the build and its progress.
Yeah, even I tried getting the flat packs for the X-LS Encore from US, but they quoted shipping as $280/- which is far far greater than the cost of the flat packs alone. Danny himself suggested getting them made in India to save costs

Hello Captain, did you also build the encores or did you attempt the larger builds offered by GRR? Do you know of anyone in India who has made the NX series speakers?
I made the 5.1 comprising of the X-SLS X-CS, A/V1RS & Rhythmic 12" sealed subwoofer. I don't think anyone ordered the NX series in our group buy. You can refer to the thread for details of what the participating members bought.

I think Danny provides PDF drawings of the cabinet cutout plans. CNC is good but a good wood worker will be able to make the cabinets without much difficulty using accessible power tools. The internal support structures would be a bit more challenging but do-able using a jigsaw and router roundover bits.

On my X/LS Encore I used double layer for the front baffle only and the rest are 18 mm MDF. If I were to do it again I would use double everywhere.

I think Danny provides PDF drawings of the cabinet cutout plans. CNC is good but a good wood worker will be able to make the cabinets without much difficulty using accessible power tools. The internal support structures would be a bit more challenging but do-able using a jigsaw and router roundover bits.

On my X/LS Encore I used double layer for the front baffle only and the rest are 18 mm MDF. If I were to do it again I would use double everywhere.
Danny might be providing it for the Encores but has refused to do so for the NX series. Recently exchanged emails with him and discussed in detail. If one can estimate and replicate it here otherwise, that’s a separate matter.

Also, the flat packs are being shipped to the NX buyers separately from Danny’s partners in Canada.

I didn't share their details openly as they were earlier reluctant to accede to too many requests, being fully busy in pro speaker box making, which was their main business. Courtesy Wuhan origin Covid19, they now have some free time and welcomed requests for custom box building for individuals as well. Since I'm getting PMs seeking their names, I called them and sharing their details after their consent:

They are two brothers named Gopakumar & Santosh. They predominantly make pro cinema boxes for theatres in Kerala, Tamilnadu, Karnataka & even AP and also undertake installation of Snooker & Billiards tables. The former manages the show and the latter does the core techical work. Gopakumar's No. is +919895670008.

Guys,

I just want to bring in some pointers to those of you who might be considering building the X-LS Encores during year 2020 and beyond. This is not a cheap DIY project. Period.

Here are the facts:

The original kit link is http://gr-research.com/x-lsencorekit.aspx
  1. Cost of just the X-LS Encore kit with Sonicap & Mills resistor upgrades - $399 (The basic kit cost is $249, but since you are building it, it is better to take it up one notch and go for the upgraded components)
  2. Cost of Tube Connectors - $59 (Danny says, this is a must for those planning upgrades, but then again, you can even consider soldering the speaker wires directly to the cross over components and make that as a permanent one if you wish...at the cost of aesthetics and a lot of other inconveniences)
  3. Cost of No Rez Sheet - $45/sheet (You will need one for a pair)
  4. Shipping Cost - $80 minimum
Overall cost for importing all the above - $583

5. Now, if you want to take all the above things to an even next level, you can consider adding the Miflex capacitors to your crossover circuit. According to Danny, this will add a little more clarity and space between notes in the upper region. Imaging and layering is also improved. Danny is asking for an additional $80 for this upgrade and that will again bump up the cost to $663/-

If you convert this to INR, it will come to Rs. 50,000/- based on today's conversion rates!

So now comes the remaining expenses: :D

6. Cost of 18 MM MDF
7. Cutting charges (CNC, Labour, etc.)
8. If you plan to procure woodworking tools like Router, Drill, etc. the charges will add up.
9. Cost of finishing up (Veneer, Glue, etc.)
10. Time investment (Priceless)

Realistic cost will easily exceed Rs. 60,000/- o_O

So this is a REALLY EXPENSIVE premium bookshelf speaker build and you need to apply your mind and use LOTS of wisdom before you decide to take the plunge. The X-LS Encores are no doubt great bookshelf speakers and offers much more value than the other premium branded speakers out there, but is this really worth all the effort and money? I am leaving this up to you. Good day everyone.

Last edited:
We have got a very good GB deal from Danny, thanks for all the efforts by @captrajesh . The total cost was approx rs 12k including beautiful cabs with veneer. Omishra helped me to build cabs. I didn't go for any upgrade like Sonicaps, No Rez etc.
I sold me speakers later at Rs 11k to my friend as I didn't intend to earn profit. Here is the build thread https://audiokarma.org/forums/index...for-gr-research-x-ls-encore-bookshelf.499658/

Regards
Sachin
You guys got lucky that time because of the GB deal. Now the asking price has gone up. Oh and BTW, now there is no PCB option for the crossover and we need to build everything ourselves.

I have already seen your build thread earlier. Great.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back