Customizing Audyssey Curve

haisaikat

I have a question around customizing the Audyssey Curve that is set up after doing the Audyssey setup. Although my amp is Denon 1911 but I guess this applies to everyone who has an amp that lets you customize the base Audyssey curve.

In the Audyssey curve I checked that there are two specific ranges for 63Hz and 125Hz for lower frequencies (next one at 250Hz). I manually increased the default dB (was around -2dB) to around +4dB for these 2 ranges but even after that I do not see a significant increase in the bass of the movie I was watching. My bass settings were LFE + Main and I made the bass settings of the fronts to --Full Range-- even then no increase in bass.

Will this not increase the bass?

My bass settings were LFE + Main and I made the bass settings of the fronts to --Full Range-- even then no increase in bass.

I am not sure what this audyssey curve is....
....but more importantly...is your speaker capable of playing bass :D

You can't customize the Audyssey target curve on consumer gear (only if you are doing an Audyssey Pro calibration using a laptop). When you engage the Manual EQ (63Hz, 125Hz, 250Hz, etc) you are turning off Audyssey room correction.

To increase the bass, try going into Audio Adjust and turning up the Tone control.

I have a question around customizing the Audyssey Curve that is set up after doing the Audyssey setup. Although my amp is Denon 1911 but I guess this applies to everyone who has an amp that lets you customize the base Audyssey curve.

In the Audyssey curve I checked that there are two specific ranges for 63Hz and 125Hz for lower frequencies (next one at 250Hz). I manually increased the default dB (was around -2dB) to around +4dB for these 2 ranges but even after that I do not see a significant increase in the bass of the movie I was watching. My bass settings were LFE + Main and I made the bass settings of the fronts to --Full Range-- even then no increase in bass.

What are the cross over settings for Fronts, Center and Surrounds?

Best thing is to re-run audyssey and then check the sound. Do it a couple of times till you get the best results. Also experience the movie by putting Audyssey Settings Off. Maybe you will like them w/o Audyssey.

You can't customize the Audyssey target curve on consumer gear (only if you are doing an Audyssey Pro calibration using a laptop). When you engage the Manual EQ (63Hz, 125Hz, 250Hz, etc) you are turning off Audyssey room correction.

To increase the bass, try going into Audio Adjust and turning up the Tone control.

I know that in case of Manual EQ the room correction is turned off but this feature also allows you to use the base curve plotted by Audyssey as starting point and make manual adjustments to it.

I did not try changing Tone Control but will surely give it a try however my experiment was to increase the bass from my fronts, my sub is already doing a great job when turned on. Do you think that I should need to rerun the Audyssey without sub or else set Sub to No and then check the difference?

According to his signature, the OP has a "subwoofer ka baap".

Try turning up the volume control on your sub woofer.

I am already getting a good output from my sub. However I wanted to experiment with the settings to get good bass from the fronts itself.

The basis of my experiment are two observations made by me with my speakers avianos. There is a scene in the movie "Dare Devil" Extended Director cut Blu Ray where Jack the Devil Murdock is going to the ring for the fight, as he proceeds towards the ring there is a humm+music happening in the background.

The same scene I watched during the demo of my Aviano 6 before I purchased them at the dealer shop playing via Cambridge Audio AZUR 650R 7.1 channel avr that is capable of delivering 100 Watts per channel RMS @ 8 ohms all channel driven simultaneously. During this scence the diaphragms of the Avianos were jumping up and down as if big ripples of water. However when I play the same scene on BD using my Denon 1911 (90Watts per channel but not all driven at the same time at 90Watts) driving the aviano 6 I see a very minor ripple effect on the diaphragms.

So I wonder is it only because the two amps having different power delivering capability or more of settings. So I was trying to tweak the Audyssey settings to find an answer.

my experiment was to increase the bass from my fronts, my sub is already doing a great job when turned on
You have to stop thinking of your sub and fronts separately and start thinking of them as a single system. If you want more bass, then the goal should be to get more bass, irrespective of whether it is coming from the speakers or the subwoofer.

You have to stop thinking of your sub and fronts separately and start thinking of them as a single system. If you want more bass, then the goal should be to get more bass, irrespective of whether it is coming from the speakers or the subwoofer.

As I wrote in the last post, I am trying to figure the reason behind the way the speakers are driven. The added objective is to play around a bit with the Audyssey curve with guidance from the HFV members.

The basis of my experiment are two observations made by me with my speakers avianos. There is a scene in the movie "Dare Devil" Extended Director cut Blu Ray where Jack the Devil Murdock is going to the ring for the fight, as he proceeds towards the ring there is a humm+music happening in the background.

The same scene I watched during the demo of my Aviano 6 before I purchased them at the dealer shop playing via Cambridge Audio AZUR 650R 7.1 channel avr that is capable of delivering 100 Watts per channel RMS @ 8 ohms all channel driven simultaneously. During this scence the diaphragms of the Avianos were jumping up and down as if big ripples of water. However when I play the same scene on BD using my Denon 1911 (90Watts per channel but not all driven at the same time at 90Watts) driving the aviano 6 I see a very minor ripple effect on the diaphragms.

So I wonder is it only because the two amps having different power delivering capability or more of settings. So I was trying to tweak the Audyssey settings to find an answer.

How old your speakers are? They need break in time for atleast 100 hrs.

I almost regreted my speaker purchase for first 50 hrs. But now after 100 hrs, (Company hass suggested 400 hrs for mine), they are really rocking and i dont need a subwoofer anymore for 2 CH Music / Movies.

How old your speakers are? They need break in time for atleast 100 hrs.

I almost regreted my speaker purchase for first 50 hrs. But now after 100 hrs, (Company hass suggested 400 hrs for mine), they are really rocking and i dont need a subwoofer anymore for 2 CH Music / Movies.

My speakers are around 5 months old so considering average of 6 hours a week that is more than 100 hours (~ 130 - 140 hrs at least). However manufacturer manuals said 36 hours of break in.

My speakers are around 5 months old so considering average of 6 hours a week that is more than 100 hours (~ 130 - 140 hrs at least). However manufacturer manuals said 36 hours of break in.

Although AZUR 650R 7.1 channel and Denon 1911 are from very different league, still 1911 is a decent AVR.

Is your room acoustically treated? Was the place you auditioned acoustically treated? Room Acoustics make a hell of a difference.

I was also not happy with Audyssey settings, Bass was almost lost. I found Audyssey very impressive with Surounds but not with Bass.

Now try these settings:
1. Set Audyssey Off
2. Set Front Speakers to Large.
3. Set Crossover Frequencies for all speakers to 80 / 90 hz (Assuming your Center and Surrounds an handle that range)
4. Set Crossover Settings to Sub+Main.

I found these settings to be the best for Bass Reproduction. Try it and let us know the results.

Although AZUR 650R 7.1 channel and Denon 1911 are from very different league, still 1911 is a decent AVR.

Is your room acoustically treated? Was the place you auditioned acoustically treated? Room Acoustics make a hell of a difference.

I was also not happy with Audyssey settings, Bass was almost lost. I found Audyssey very impressive with Surounds but not with Bass.

Now try these settings:
1. Set Audyssey Off
2. Set Front Speakers to Large.
3. Set Crossover Frequencies for all speakers to 80 / 90 hz (Assuming your Center and Surrounds an handle that range)
4. Set Crossover Settings to Sub+Main.

I found these settings to be the best for Bass Reproduction. Try it and let us know the results.

No my room is not acoustically treated. However I think that is not going to affect the rippling effect of the speakers.

No my room is not acoustically treated. However I think that is not going to affect the rippling effect of the speakers.

Based on Room Acuostics, Audyssey sets the Crossover, Distance and EQ. The Rippling effect of the speaker will get affected if Audyssey is set on.

However, you can try the settings I suggested and let us know your experience.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back