DAC cum network player

mayukh80

Hello members,

I am getting a CD transport since my existing CDP is dead ( it was SA 7001 :(). Am toying with CA- CXC / Audiolab ( can suggest some more).

Please suggest a DAC preferably with feature to stream from wireless device (phone/tablet etc)

I can stretch max up to 65K for the DAC.

Arcam IR DAC-II

Hello members,

I am getting a CD transport since my existing CDP is dead ( it was SA 7001 :(). Am toying with CA- CXC / Audiolab ( can suggest some more).

Please suggest a DAC preferably with feature to stream from wireless device (phone/tablet etc)

Audiolab 6000N available on the mart. Plenty of features, good DAC. Well under your budget as well.
Do check out Audiolab CDQ series as well.

Last edited:
Audiolab 6000N available on the mart. Plenty of features, good DAC. Well under your budget as well.
Do check out Audiolab CDQ series as well.
Thanks for the inputs Mr. Shah :)

I understand that 6000 N beside streaming will be a decent DAC for a CD transport too.

Any idea where I can check for the CDQ series?

Thanks for the inputs Mr. Shah :)

I understand that 6000 N beside streaming will be a decent DAC for a CD transport too.

Any idea where I can check for the CDQ series?
Yes, the 6000N is a network player with good inbuilt DAC and can be hooked up with an external CDT.
Many may find the connection options to be sparse, but its good gear for the price and fit for purpose.
CDQ was listed on the mart but I don't see it anymore. You could probably try and contact them.

For around 99k (last I enquired a few months back), the Arcam CDS50 is an SACD player / DAC / Network Streamer - you should look into that if you want a 1 box solution. Available at Decibels in Chennai. (No affiliation whatsoever).

Last edited:
Yes, the 6000N is a network player with good inbuilt DAC and can be hooked up with an external CDT.
Many may find the connection options to be sparse, but its good gear for the price and fit for purpose.
CDQ was listed on the mart but I don't see it anymore. You could probably try and contact them.

For around 99k (last I enquired a few months back), the Arcam CDS50 is an SACD player / DAC / Network Streamer - you should look into that if you want a 1 box solution. Available at Decibels in Chennai. (No affiliation whatsoever).

Although 1 box solution is very catchy and tempting but i would prefer dedicated systems.

Somebody whose ears I trust a lot...voucher for the Cambridge audio CXN v2. Maybe just a little stretch from your stated budget. But Iam sure nothing around this price mark, comes close. All the best :)
any idea where to get hold of CA products these days?

Hello members,

Suggest you to keep the chain discrete if you are going the transport way

would you please elaborate a bit on this !!
Buying a dedicated DAC would be a better considering it does only digital to analog conversion. Components and design used would be much better in a dedicated player than a device which is stuffed with everything at that price point. Since you are planning to use a transport I presume you still use CDs/SaCds, a dedicated DAC would perform far batter than a dac inside a streamer sharing the same power supply doing multiple tasks. Again considering the choice of streamers with great DACs that are available in the market today.

Purists prefer that way.. you can add a good streamer to your chain with the streamer doing only streaming.

Even a buying a very good CD/SACD player with digital inputs, and later adding a streamer, eliminating a transport would be a good idea to achieve signal short path.

Sorry if the above dint make any sense.

Buying a dedicated DAC would be a better considering it does only digital to analog conversion. Components and design used would be much better in a dedicated player than a device which is stuffed with everything at that price point. Since you are planning to use a transport I presume you still use CDs/SaCds, a dedicated DAC would perform far batter than a dac inside a streamer sharing the same power supply doing multiple tasks. Again considering the choice of streamers with great DACs that are available in the market today.

Purists prefer that way.. you can add a good streamer to your chain with the streamer doing only streaming.

Even a buying a very good CD/SACD player with digital inputs, and later adding a streamer, eliminating a transport would be a good idea to achieve signal short path.

Sorry if the above dint make any sense.
Thanks for the lovely writeup.
i have a few queries
1. A Dedicated DAC has always been in my mind but i am literally confused with the options. I cannot afford Luxman and their compatriots. So making the right choice is more confusing.
2. I have almost decided on CA-CXC for the transport. Does it make sense to use the DAC of CXN?

Thanks for the lovely writeup.
i have a few queries
1. A Dedicated DAC has always been in my mind but i am literally confused with the options. I cannot afford Luxman and their compatriots. So making the right choice is more confusing.
2. I have almost decided on CA-CXC for the transport. Does it make sense to use the DAC of CXN?

i personally would look at the below points before buying any hifi gear.

1.) "The heavier the better" is good when choosing amps/DAC/cd player. This has the effect of greatly reducing any and all vibration that could adversely affect audio quality. The construction of the gear with heavy chassis and bullet proof body doesn't allow any external vibrations like floor noise and the music being played itself pass thorough the body and hit the components. You can find a lot of resources on this topic in internet.

2.) The company and the location where it is manufactured. i avoid "Made in China", for the simple reason that it reflects the company's mind set of building a product using cheap labour and earning high revenues. Even though a big brand designs a product elsewhere and manufactures in china, the components are still procured internally. That said, i don't say everything made in china is bad, but i avoid "china".

I simply choose products made in Japan, Germany, UK , US ( not in that order of choice though).

For buying a DAC, i suggest don't look at just the DAC chip being used. The DAC chip manufacturers sell their chips to OEM manufacturers who design and implement these DAC chips in their product. Look out for manufacturers who pay attention to the analog stage, power stage, DAC stage, output stage, jitter, master clock used.... etc., and overall how they have implemented the chip in their DAC itself. For example PS audio, Musical fidelity, Metrum acoustics, make great DACs.

Remember two manufactures taking the same dac chip and implementing them in their DACs will sound totally different. one may sound better.
Its really not what DAC chipset that is being used in the DAC that matters, but how its implemented.

Avoid head phone DACs and anything else merged into the DAC apart from its job of a DAC.

Finally You need to choose a DAC thats matches your other equipments in the chain and the speaker, maintaining synergy, which is more important than choosing the best DAC from the best company.

As far as cambridge audio CXN is concerned, just connect with your local dealer and find out if he can provide you a demo. A demo at your place with your room acoustics and your gear and not in their place.
CXN uses a dual wolfson dac chipset, and its a 24 bit dac, and those specs cannot determine its quality of music. You need to personally audition it to like it or hate it :)

I would consider Yamaha's streamer which is decently built and costs less, again i would use this for only streaming and not for its DAC. i would feed the digital out of it to a good DAC.

I am not a fan of streaming at all, and still prefer SACD player and CD/SACD as the source, & of course Vinyl.
even if its the same content on both streaming or a stand alone player, jitter and noise are considerably low in a stand alone player.

I understand big brands cost huge, but you still have the option of picking up a great used DAC from a credible source.

There are lots of things to discuss on this topic and its difficult to articulate everything here in one go.

:)

i personally would look at the below points before buying any hifi gear.

1.) "The heavier the better" is good when choosing amps/DAC/cd player. This has the effect of greatly reducing any and all vibration that could adversely affect audio quality. The construction of the gear with heavy chassis and bullet proof body doesn't allow any external vibrations like floor noise and the music being played itself pass thorough the body and hit the components. You can find a lot of resources on this topic in internet.

2.) The company and the location where it is manufactured. i avoid "Made in China", for the simple reason that it reflects the company's mind set of building a product using cheap labour and earning high revenues. Even though a big brand designs a product elsewhere and manufactures in china, the components are still procured internally. That said, i don't say everything made in china is bad, but i avoid "china".

I simply choose products made in Japan, Germany, UK , US ( not in that order of choice though).

For buying a DAC, i suggest don't look at just the DAC chip being used. The DAC chip manufacturers sell their chips to OEM manufacturers who design and implement these DAC chips in their product. Look out for manufacturers who pay attention to the analog stage, power stage, DAC stage, output stage, jitter, master clock used.... etc., and overall how they have implemented the chip in their DAC itself. For example PS audio, Musical fidelity, Metrum acoustics, make great DACs.

Remember two manufactures taking the same dac chip and implementing them in their DACs will sound totally different. one may sound better.
Its really not what DAC chipset that is being used in the DAC that matters, but how its implemented.

Avoid head phone DACs and anything else merged into the DAC apart from its job of a DAC.

Finally You need to choose a DAC thats matches your other equipments in the chain and the speaker, maintaining synergy, which is more important than choosing the best DAC from the best company.

As far as cambridge audio CXN is concerned, just connect with your local dealer and find out if he can provide you a demo. A demo at your place with your room acoustics and your gear and not in their place.
CXN uses a dual wolfson dac chipset, and its a 24 bit dac, and those specs cannot determine its quality of music. You need to personally audition it to like it or hate it :)

I would consider Yamaha's streamer which is decently built and costs less, again i would use this for only streaming and not for its DAC. i would feed the digital out of it to a good DAC.

I am not a fan of streaming at all, and still prefer SACD player and CD/SACD as the source, & of course Vinyl.
even if its the same content on both streaming or a stand alone player, jitter and noise are considerably low in a stand alone player.

I understand big brands cost huge, but you still have the option of picking up a great used DAC from a credible source.

There are lots of things to discuss on this topic and its difficult to articulate everything here in one go.

:)
I have a option of adding SA8005 CDP. Built quality and DAC is descent at the price range.
You have opened a new world to me altogether.
Would like to interact with you in future to share my search journey

I have a option of adding SA8005 CDP. Built quality and DAC is descent at the price range.
You have opened a new world to me altogether.
Would like to interact with you in future to share my search journey
Sure you can interact with me.
And there is one more area which i would like to stress upon which is music listening.
Its an art.
I keep my music very selective, and i avoid too much of choice.
With too much of choice we have got to a stage of wanting to listen to everything, and thats where streaming wins, everything stored locally or online.
keeping it very selective will give you the option of buying great source in the form of a SACD or a CD and enjoy it.

The marantz SA8005 CDP has decent specs but weighs only 7 kGS and has a single transformer. :)
I can't comment on its performance as i have never heard on it.

Sure you can interact with me.
And there is one more area which i would like to stress upon which is music listening.
Its an art.
I keep my music very selective, and i avoid too much of choice.
With too much of choice we have got to a stage of wanting to listen to everything, and thats where streaming wins, everything stored locally or online.
keeping it very selective will give you the option of buying great source in the form of a SACD or a CD and enjoy it.

The marantz SA8005 CDP has decent specs but weighs only 7 kGS and has a single transformer. :)
I can't comment on its performance as i have never heard on it.
So i will come to the next phase
Recommend a SACD with a price range of around 80-85K.

So i will come to the next phase
Recommend a SACD with a price range of around 80-85K.

for a new one in that price bracket is very difficult.
you can try sony SCD-XA5400ES if you can source it form the US . with 230V

i own the denon dcd-a100, and am absolutely happy with its awesome performance, which helped me let go off my PS audio DAC and CHORD DAC.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back