DAC for Topping TP20 & JBL Control one

Ragin_Ice

Hey Guys,

Consider this part introduction and part question :). After spending almost a month on HifiVision, this is my second thread (the first one didnt even get a single reply ;)). I have searched and read innumberable threads and thank the Forum members for their priceless contribution to the Indian HiFi Audio/Video scenes. Having said that, I have long way to go and am very excited and enthusiastic to learn more each day.

Existing Setup
1. I have purchased (and delivered) a Topping TP20 Amp and will most probably be going for JBL Control 1 or Usher s520 or CA S30 speakers.

2. I will be feeding the optical out of my TV- Samsung LA40C530 to the DAC. The Samsung can read mp3s and various other formats like MKVs using a USB port as the interface.

Query
1. What DAC do you recommend? (will need the an optical input)

2. I assume the optical out of the tv will directly pass the digital data (bits of 0's and 1's) as it is to the DAC. Would it make a difference if the DAC had the input any other way?

3. What make/brand cables do you recommend to complete the system keeping in mind that this is an economy setup?
a. From Optical out of the TV to the optical in of the DAC.
b. From DAC to the AMP (RCAs)
c. From AMP to the Speakers (speaker cables)

Last edited:
Maybe a bit too late now but if this is a budget setup, you should have probably gone for the TP30, which has an inbuilt DAC. Maybe you can still sell the TP20 to some friend and order the TP30. There is a review of the TP30 in one of the other Topping Tp20 threads on this forum, by madbullram. See if that suits your needs.

What is your budget for the DAC. There are many budget DACs around, but price will be the determining factor. The Musiland 02 (or the less costly 01) have had good reviews, and they have optical in.

From my Setup with Topping tp20 and JBl Control one

1. What DAC do you recommend? (will need the an optical input)

Zero DAC , USB, Optical and Co Axial.

Review
Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp - Head-Fi.org Community

Got from Ebay.com 8.1 K , You can search or PM me i ll send the link

2. I assume the optical out of the tv will directly pass the digital data (bits of 0's and 1's) as it is to the DAC. Would it make a difference if the DAC had the input any other way?

USB and COaxial are there but optical would be best.

3. What make/brand cables do you recommend to complete the system keeping in mind that this is an economy setup?
a. From Optical out of the TV to the optical in of the DAC.

One optical cable is free with DAC

b. From DAC to the AMP (RCAs)

i got from ebay.in 350 /- it says high quality. You can search or PM me i ll send the link

c. From AMP to the Speakers (speaker cables)

Super cheap 5 rs per meter from local electrical store. it works fine.

Acording to me get good quality cables overall but done spend too much. some are exorbitantly priced and not the worth.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back