DAC suggestion for my current stereo setup (Pioneer BDP I80 + Yamaha RS 500 + Pioneer SP-FS52)

Hi all,

Having owned the mentioned stereo set-up for about 5 years now. I'm getting the itch to upgrade but before I take that route I wanted to leverage on the FM's advise/guidance on adding in any DAC/other components that can bring about another way of enjoying music, aside the the CDs and Hard disc I presently use.

I am happy with the amplifier and speakers as it suits my music taste, also it's perfectly fine for the listening space I have at home. I look forward to hear from you on what can be added to stream music digitally and compatible with my current stereo amp (Yamaha RS 500).

I chanced upon this network player, any suggestions/feedback about this?

Thank you.

Last edited:
components that can bring another way of enjoying music, aside the the CDs and Hard disc I presently use.
Single Malts. After a few, you can notice the soundstage being elevated and the feeling of being immersed in music!

The single biggest upgrade in SQ would-be speakers. Invest maximum you can afford on the speakers, first. Investing in DACs may not be prudent in your current setup, gains to be had would be minimal.

There are various standalone streamers with built-in DACs available at various price points.

Temporarily, one option to use streaming services is to use the streaming apps from your phone itself, if it comes with a 3.5mm port that is. You can hook your phone with a 3.5mm to RCA cable to your amp.

If you're already happy with your amplifier and speakers, there's very little you can add to increase "performance". Adding a DAC to the current amplifier will beget nominal gains which aren't going to be worth the money spent. The only Gear i can think of which will add palpable performance to your current system is a subwoofer.

Single Malts. After a few, you can notice the soundstage being elevated and the feeling of being immersed in music!

The single biggest upgrade in SQ would-be speakers. Invest maximum you can afford on the speakers, first. Investing in DACs may not be prudent in your current setup, gains to be had would be minimal.

There are various standalone streamers with built-in DACs available at various price points.

Temporarily, one option to use streaming services is to use the streaming apps from your phone itself, if it comes with a 3.5mm port that is. You can hook your phone with a 3.5mm to RCA cable to your amp.
Your response put a smile on my face as I started to read it, appreciate the guidance. Thank you!

If you're already happy with your amplifier and speakers, there's very little you can add to increase "performance". Adding a DAC to the current amplifier will beget nominal gains which aren't going to be worth the money spent. The only Gear i can think of which will add palpable performance to your current system is a subwoofer.
Sub-woofer I had not thought of, thank you for the suggestion. I will think through on adding a sub.

If you want to dwell into DAC world I have a DIY made AD1865 based R-2R NOS dac. PM me if you are interested and I am based out of Bangalore.

Thanks

I look forward to hear from you on what can be added to stream music digitally and compatible with my current stereo amp (Yamaha RS 500).

I chanced upon this network player, any suggestions/feedback about this?

Thank you.
Missed the second part of your question.

While the best way to improve performance without changing amp and speakers in your chain is by adding a subwoofer, if you simply want to stream music, you would indeed need a DAC as your current amp does not seem to digital inputs.

Which brings us to budget.

In my humble opinion, the most cost effective way to add the usual suspects with respect to digital connectivity i.e. USB, Coax and Optical with good SQ is by adding the Topping E30 DAC. Connecting it to any existing laptop/cellphone to start streaming instantly (after installing the requisite app/software such as spotify or plex server/bubble upnp).

Last edited:
Topping E30 DAC is good budget option, but if you want something higher end with built in Roon streaming then i have a 'Matrix mini-i 3 Pro' for sale. It's a quality DAC plus Preamp plus Streamer plus Headphone amp in one box solution. It may solve lot of your requirements down the line in one box. Do check all its reviews

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back