Daimaond 9.6

ajithlal

Hai everybody..

Dealer offered price for Wharfedale Dimaond 9.6 (New with warranty) is 32.5K
Is it reasonable? Pls also share ur opinion and experience with 9.6 as full range front mains.

Is there any region issue when we imprt an OPPO dvd player from US?

Regards,
Ajith

Last edited:
Ajith, I am not sure about the price, but it does look reasonable. See if you can press the dealer for more discounts.

I use the Diamond 9.5 with my Onkyo 875 and the sound is phenomenal.

There is no issue with using Oppo in India. It comes with a power system that handles 110-230 volts and frequency from 50 to 60Hz. Regarding the region code, it come set for Region 1. But by simply using the remote, you can make a region free. Just use the following steps:

1. Press Setup on remote control to access the setup page
2. Enter 9210 on the remote quickly
3. A service menu will pop up
4. Select a region: 0- 6 in region code. 0 is all-region.
5. Press Setup on remote again to exit

Cheers

Hi,

The price is decent and should be ok !! They are very very decent as the front no doubt ! it has a soft dome mid which is a rare feature in the speaker of this price or in the similar range ! well it a known fact about the advantages of soft dome mid instead of cone mid ! so it will be a decent performer for both music and movies !!

Yes the Oppo has region issue ! but nothing much to worry as this is a simple thing to overcome with a few click of buttons on the remote of the player !!

Regards.

Hai everybody..

Dealer offered price for Wharfedale Dimaond 9.6 (New with warranty) is 32.5K
Is it reasonable? Pls also share ur opinion and experience with 9.6 as full range front mains.

Is there any region issue when we imprt an OPPO dvd player from US?

Regards,
Ajith
Hi Ajith, try B&W 602 0R 603 also for the front speakers.
Cheers

Ajith, I am not sure about the price, but it does look reasonable. See if you can press the dealer for more discounts.

I use the Diamond 9.5 with my Onkyo 875 and the sound is phenomenal.

There is no issue with using Oppo in India. It comes with a power system that handles 110-230 volts and frequency from 50 to 60Hz. Regarding the region code, it come set for Region 1. But by simply using the remote, you can make a region free. Just use the following steps:

1. Press Setup on remote control to access the setup page
2. Enter 9210 on the remote quickly
3. A service menu will pop up
4. Select a region: 0- 6 in region code. 0 is all-region.
5. Press Setup on remote again to exit

Cheers

Venkat, since you own Onkyo 875, could you please inform how is its capability for stereo music? I have a pair of Quad 12L2s and am looking to pair it with a decent Integrated amp. or if I can have the best of both worlds i.e HT(future add-ons) and music, can settle for an AV reciever. Please advice.

Thanks
Sorry Ajith, for hijacking your post but couldn't hold myself.

Venkat, since you own Onkyo 875, could you please inform how is its capability for stereo music? I have a pair of Quad 12L2s and am looking to pair it with a decent Integrated amp. or if I can have the best of both worlds i.e HT(future add-ons) and music, can settle for an AV reciever. Please advice.

Thanks
Sorry Ajith, for hijacking your post but couldn't hold myself.

I think most of Ajith's questions have been answered.

Arun I am going to provide a long answer to your question. Hopefully you will understand what I am arriving at.

First the equipment - I have an Onkyo 875 connected (for now) to an Akai Barvo 32 inch. I have two sources. One is an Oppo Digital 983H, and the other is a Pioneer DV-696AV. My speakers are all Diamond 9 series - 9.5 front. 9.1 bookshelf for rear, a center, and two dipoles for surround. I use a 7.1 system. The sub is from Hsu Research.

I use a van den Hul Optocoupler Mk II for optical connection, two AR Performance Series RCA cable for audio, Tara Labs Prism Series for Component Video, and a DAC HDMI Cable. I also use a HDMI cable that came with my Oppo to connect the AVR to the TV.

My speaker cables are 32 gauge OFC cables from DAC.

The Onkyo has three modes for listening to audio called Pure Audio, Direct, and Stereo. In Pure Audio, the video circuits are switched off. In Direct, the source is output with minimal processing. In other words, you are dependent upon the CD Players circuit for DAC processing. In Pure Audio, the Onkyo DAC comes into play.

While listening to Audio, I switch off the sub.

Some of the favourite numbers I enjoy on my system are the following:

1. Rhythm House's Fusion Mosaic featuring Ravi Shankar, Shakthi, L. Subramaniam, Rahul Sharma and others.
2. Shankar Mahadevan's Breathless.
3. Kojiki by Kitaro.
4. Ragamala by Ravi Shankar and the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra
6. Old hindi film songs.
7. Old singles by singers like Neil Diamond, Chris De Burg etc.

I have heard the RagaMala 100 of times, and am very familiar with the nuances of the music and when a instrument starts and how the orchestra catches on from the strings of the sitar. My equipment renders this faithfully and transparently.

Neil Diamond's songs have just his voice and the guitar. I just love the moments of silence in between and this is also render beautifully.

In the song titled Breathless, Shankar starts the songs literally alone and the orchestra including drums catch on after 20 or 30 seconds. Usually in an ordinary system, the sudden beating of the drums would be jarring. Here the blending of Shankar's voice and the accompanying orchestra is very smooth, and you eagerly wait for the orchestra to start.

In the Fusion Mosaic again, I can hear individual instruments without any problem and, though the music is heavy, there is no ear fatigue.

One of my favourite film songs is 'Is Rang Badalthi Duniya Mein' by Rafi sung for the film Rajkumar. The song from a CD sounds better than the original DVD that I have. Rafi uses constantly varying pitch in the song. In the beginning he starts very low. In the second stanza he starts at a high pitch and them tapers down. I just love it when I can hear these nuance of a song.

The only music on which my system fails is the Kojiki by Kitaro. Because of the huge Japanese drums involved I have to switch the sub on. Then the whole mosaic changes. You can hear the birds chirping in the air, and the deep thruump of the drums without any echo.

BTW, I use only the Oppo for music. I am planning to purchase a dedicated CD player, which I am sure will improve the sound even more. I am also replacing my Pioneer with an Oppo 980H.

Slightly OT:
How much would a pair of Diamond 9.5s cost?
Who are the Wharfedale distributors here?

The price of the 9.5 should be around 25K. I live in Chennai, and I purchased them from Pro Musicals. Sudhin of Pro Musicals is a thorough gentleman and a pleasure to deal with.

Cheers

I think most of Ajith's questions have been answered.

Arun I am going to provide a long answer to your question. Hopefully you will understand what I am arriving at.

First the equipment - I have an Onkyo 875 connected (for now) to an Akai Barvo 32 inch. I have two sources. One is an Oppo Digital 983H, and the other is a Pioneer DV-696AV. My speakers are all Diamond 9 series - 9.5 front. 9.1 bookshelf for rear, a center, and two dipoles for surround. I use a 7.1 system. The sub is from Hsu Research.

I use a van den Hul Optocoupler Mk II for optical connection, two AR Performance Series RCA cable for audio, Tara Labs Prism Series for Component Video, and a DAC HDMI Cable. I also use a HDMI cable that came with my Oppo to connect the AVR to the TV.

My speaker cables are 32 gauge OFC cables from DAC.

The Onkyo has three modes for listening to audio called Pure Audio, Direct, and Stereo. In Pure Audio, the video circuits are switched off. In Direct, the source is output with minimal processing. In other words, you are dependent upon the CD Players circuit for DAC processing. In Pure Audio, the Onkyo DAC comes into play.

While listening to Audio, I switch off the sub.

Some of the favourite numbers I enjoy on my system are the following:

1. Rhythm House's Fusion Mosaic featuring Ravi Shankar, Shakthi, L. Subramaniam, Rahul Sharma and others.
2. Shankar Mahadevan's Breathless.
3. Kojiki by Kitaro.
4. Ragamala by Ravi Shankar and the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra
6. Old hindi film songs.
7. Old singles by singers like Neil Diamond, Chris De Burg etc.

I have heard the RagaMala 100 of times, and am very familiar with the nuances of the music and when a instrument starts and how the orchestra catches on from the strings of the sitar. My equipment renders this faithfully and transparently.

Neil Diamond's songs have just his voice and the guitar. I just love the moments of silence in between and this is also render beautifully.

In the song titled Breathless, Shankar starts the songs literally alone and the orchestra including drums catch on after 20 or 30 seconds. Usually in an ordinary system, the sudden beating of the drums would be jarring. Here the blending of Shankar's voice and the accompanying orchestra is very smooth, and you eagerly wait for the orchestra to start.

In the Fusion Mosaic again, I can hear individual instruments without any problem and, though the music is heavy, there is no ear fatigue.

One of my favourite film songs is 'Is Rang Badalthi Duniya Mein' by Rafi sung for the film Rajkumar. The song from a CD sounds better than the original DVD that I have. Rafi uses constantly varying pitch in the song. In the beginning he starts very low. In the second stanza he starts at a high pitch and them tapers down. I just love it when I can hear these nuance of a song.

The only music on which my system fails is the Kojiki by Kitaro. Because of the huge Japanese drums involved I have to switch the sub on. Then the whole mosaic changes. You can hear the birds chirping in the air, and the deep thruump of the drums without any echo.

BTW, I use only the Oppo for music. I am planning to purchase a dedicated CD player, which I am sure will improve the sound even more. I am also replacing my Pioneer with an Oppo 980H.

Many thanks Venkat for a detaled and explicit account regarding the performance of your equipment and your fine taste for music. It not only reveals your depth of knowledge but the dedication as a true audiophile.

Am glad my tastes also run similar to yours with just the addition of Jagjit Singh, especially his latest double album 'Autobiography' which is an excellent compilation.

Apart from the speakers, I use DAC PCOCC OFC speaker cable and DAC AXR 01A interconnect. With your experience of the Onkyo875, my mind is more clearer as the lower end AVRs fail miserably when it comes to music. Am also planning for a dedicated CD player, most probably Marantz.

Thanks once again shall keep you posted asap.

On one thread I read another dealer of Wharfedale "VECTORS" offerd a price 30K for Diamond 9.6 . I got this price (32.5K)from Kochi dealer. I ve price list from Designer audio with me. I'm searching little for best offer from B'lore or Chennai if I can buy them online.

Thank u venkat..
I read in one of the theads, another dealer from Hydbd/ B'lor offered 9.6 for 30K. That is why I am still sailing for little more good price tag. Do u ve e mail and Ph numbers of Chennai dealer? Is there any provision for online buying?
regards
Ajith

Thank u venkat..
I read in one of the theads, another dealer from Hydbd/ B'lor offered 9.6 for 30K. That is why I am still sailing for little more good price tag. Do u ve e mail and Ph numbers of Chennai dealer? Is there any provision for online buying?
regards
Ajith

Try Pro Musicals in Chennai. Their numbers are (044)28193445 and (044)28193607. Speak to Sudhin Prabhakar. He is a great man and a thorough gentleman. He may be able to provide a good price, and even get it delivered to your house by courier from Designer Audio, if he gets his payment His website is PROMUSICALS - Home - The Digital Audio, Media & Music Store.

Cheers

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back