Dali Ikon vs Ikon mk2

SwaroopKS

Hi All,

Can anyone throw some light, share impressions on these speakers. I have an offer for the original ikon series speakers but cannot audition them.

This weekend am planning to audition mk2 series to get a sense of them. So, any comparison and feedback on difference between these two series is greatly welcome.

Thanks
Satya

Hi,

I have almost decided on Dali setup. The ikon 6 would be the floorstanders at heart of the system.

I was originally planning on marantz avr but a dear friend suggested it would not be a great pairing as Dalis tend to be bright. I understand a stereo amp is highly recommended to do justice for them, would add stereo amp later for the fronts.

For now, can you please suggest on which AVR to pair them with? My preference is a slightly warm sound with lush presentation. Highs should be airy n detailed but not overpowering and harsh. A delicate presentation is highs is desirable.

Thanks
Satya

I have almost decided on Dali setup. The ikon 6 would be the floorstanders at heart of the system

Nice.

Could you audition the Ikon Mk II b/s ? Would be very interested in knowing where and how much if you did / or if it was there at the store where you auditioned. The urge to move the ribbon tweeter and fewer speakers gets stronger!

BTW IMVHO its your room and how you combat it that gives you what you want to hear. My weapon of choice is DRC, predictable, reproducible, shapeable to your specific requirements etyadi.

ciao
gr

Nice.

Could you audition the Ikon Mk II b/s ? Would be very interested in knowing where and how much if you did. I have this urge to move the ribbon tweeter and fewer speakers ...

BTW IMVHO its your room and how you combat it that gives you what you want to hear. My weapon of choice is DRC, predictable, reproducible, shapeable to your specific requirements etyadi.

ciao
gr
Hi,

Got to know the Ikon series is discontinued now. It is replaced by Opticon series. I am getting a used set. They are in a different city and hence taking help of a friend to check n get them.

Thanks
Satya

both the Ikon 6's are good.

depends on the price you get and the amp pairing of-course.

What is your room Size?

I Have listened to both ikon 6 and opticon 6 and I feel they need good space to sound good.

In small rooms it may sound boomy. So don't just go by what you listen during audition. Compare it with your room Size and acoustic treatment.

What is your room Size?

I Have listened to both ikon 6 and opticon 6 and I feel they need good space to sound good.

In small rooms it may sound boomy. So don't just go by what you listen during audition. Compare it with your room Size and acoustic treatment.

The room size is 11 x 14ft.

Let me know if that would be too small for them. Plan is to get the room completely treated based on how the speakers + avr sounds. Would the acoustic treatment not compensate for room size if properly done?

Thanks
Satya

For your room size I would suggest ikon/opticon 2 bookshelf or may be the opticon 5 if you are interested in Floorstanders.

I lack knowledge on room treatment so can't really comment on the level of impact.

The room size is 11 x 14ft.

Please read up on the net. You will have to do quite a bit to enjoy your speakers and electronics in it.

This resource amroc - the room mode calculator is a very good starting point to see what you are up against.

Then figure out how you are going to set up a 10db drop within 15ms for your stereo listening pleasure.

HTH

ciao
gr

For your room size I would suggest ikon/opticon 2 bookshelf or may be the opticon 5 if you are interested in Floorstanders.

I would be interested in figuring out solutions for small rooms and would be very benefited by your answer.

While I wait I must ask, on what basis do you trot out this completely misleading advice ? before somebody maybe spends their money based on your recommendation, that is

gr

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, it was purely a "suggestion" based on my experience. However flawed my experience maybe I thought I should share it.

It was far from being an "advice".

Well, it was purely a "suggestion" based on my experience. However flawed my experience maybe I thought I should share it.

It was far from being an "advice".

Note, I specifically asked about your experience, in the hope that I (and probably others) might benefit from it

I would be interested in figuring out solutions for small rooms and would be very benefited by your answer.

I was interested because you were making specific recommendations for speakers I am kind of interested in.

Having searched a bit on hfv I am now even more curious because in one of your threads you say your speakers are 3 feet apart and that you have enjoyable stereo going.

That is very intriguing. If possible please share your placement / configuration/ experience

Thanks.

ciao
gr

Last edited:
I am currently staying in a rented apartment so my current placement / configuration is the best possible I could get from the place.

I enjoy it for what it can do with the makeshift arrangement. I am very well aware that my speakers can sound far better if placed well and the room is ideal.

I had listened to Dali Ikon 6 and Tannoy Xt8f (larger drivers than the ikon) side by side in the same room and to me the tannoys shined whereas the dali sounded boomy.

The only factor that I could figure out was the room size. And that room was acoustically treated, how well I don't know. It was a proper demo room.

Upon reading reviews online I found some reviews mentioning the same that the ikon need larger room to sound to its potential.

And I would again like to point out that it was NOT a recommendation but merely a suggestion. Since everytime you convert my suggestion to recommendation or even "completely misleading advice".

I assume that the OP will audition based on suggestions/recommendations/advice and choose wisely and not simply do a blind buy.

I enjoy it for what it can do with the makeshift arrangement. I am very well aware that my speakers can sound far better if placed well and the room is ideal.

So you are listening to boomy non stereo sound and your "suggestions" are based on that "experience". Got it now.

Thanks

ciao
gr

Please read up on the net. You will have to do quite a bit to enjoy your speakers and electronics in it.

This resource amroc - the room mode calculator is a very good starting point to see what you are up against.

Then figure out how you are going to set up a 10db drop within 15ms for your stereo listening pleasure.

HTH

Thank you so much for the link. Its nice and useful.

Hi All,

Thanks a lot for your suggestions and pointers on room size/treatment. My current set-up is in room of same size and also not acoustically ideal cos of the way it is and no furniture. It did have lot of boom but i could easily rectify it with some foam panels.

To be honest, I am not concerned with boom as I am confident to take care of it with appropriate room treatment. But my concern is with highs which is not easy to tame much with room treatment (in my opinion) as i cannot change the hard surface area in the room much.

So I am hoping that could be addressed with appropriate pairing of electronics and cables. This is where i definitely need some help/suggestions on.

Thanks
Satya

Last edited by a moderator:
It did have lot of boom but i could easily rectify it with some foam panels.

To be honest, I am not concerned with boom as I am confident to take care of it with appropriate room treatment. But my concern is with highs which is not easy to tame much with room treatment (in my opinion) as i cannot change the hard surface area in the room much.

:) You have it the other way around.

You CANNOT combat roomboom inexpensively. Highs on the other hand not much of an issue

You should read up and decide on a course of action. My thinking was not much point spending money on speakers and electronics and then listening to virtually the same %$#p that I used to with my speakers in pots in college.

I assure you dealing with the room is worth it

Like I said before "BTW IMVHO its your room and how you combat it that gives you what you want to hear. My weapon of choice is DRC, predictable, reproducible, shapeable to your specific requirements etyadi." I have no idea of how many meters of what kind of cable i need to do something specific and targetted, but then again what do i know. My route was very different.

Your placement in the room is going to be critical. You have the entire room for audio or are their constraints - doors for access, other uses for the room etc ?
ciao
gr

Last edited:
Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back