Damping material for speakers

Usually Glasswoof is preferred.I got one of the PC items(DVD writter)with similar looking foam.

Usually Glasswoof is preferred.I got one of the PC items(DVD writter)with similar looking foam.

I haven't seen them anywhere in India. I have tried out Dacron fibre to stuff the speaker cabinet, the results were impressive, but now I want to experiment with different stuffing materials. This particular foam structure seems good to diffuse any internal standing waves.

Various materials are used for this-I have used both felt and imported Black Hole 5 which is pretty expensive.Stuffing is with a loose medium-glass wool, polyester fibre etc, whereas this is glued or stuck on to the inside walls.

Various materials are used for this-I have used both felt and imported Black Hole 5 which is pretty expensive.Stuffing is with a loose medium-glass wool, polyester fibre etc, whereas this is glued or stuck on to the inside walls.

The dacron fibre serves the purpose well but it is difficult to keep the fibre in place, attached to the cabinet walls. And as and when the fibre shift from it's place the sound output changes accordingly and as a result the sound may be unsymmetrical from both the speakers, due to uneven damping. The material mentioned in the above picture would be ideal to stick it to the walls and the sound damping would be consistent over a period of time.

IMO, damping is different from stuffing. Dacron fibre et al are used for stuffing whereas Blackhole 5 et al is used for damping. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

i know the discussion here is for what goes inside a speaker..but at least with regard to the issue of room acoustics this what a book tells about damping..
"glass fiber and acoustic tiles are common forms of porous absorbers in which sound energy is dissipated as heat in the interstices of the fibers. however the absorption of glass fiber and other fibrous absorbers at low audible frequencies are quite poor. to absorb well the thickness of the porous material must be comparable to the wavelength of sound. at 100hz the wavelength is 11.3 ft, and using any porous absorber approaching this thickness would be impractical. for this reason resonant absorbers are often used to obtain absorption at low frequencies...."
also it says for the issue (albeit remotely) under consideration...
"absorption is increased when a cavity is filled with a porous material such as glass fiber insulation. this is because the material increases damping. the material may be stuffed loosely inside a cavity or attached to the back of the panel. the panel is most effective when placed at a pressure maximum for the desired absorption frequency: this might be on an end wall, a mid point or a corner of a room. panels are ineffective when placed at a pressure minima..."

I had used loose bundles of paddy straw for lining the back and sides of my boxes, there was noticeable improvement in the lower mids compared to stuffing with Dacron.

If you choose to experiment, make sure to treat the straw with an insecticide and dry it thoroughly before bundling.

Regds...

I have used Bitumen Roofing felt to dampen vibrations in a few of my designs and it works very very well,its cheap and readily available ,stick on with a good epoxy based glue and your set.
Another product I have used and it works like a charm is 3M floor matt (the kind that has squiggly lines on one side and vinyl on the other, the vinyl sticks on and helps dampen vibrations while the squiggly lines help absorb standing waves and break them up.
You should ideally use a mix of substances ,use damping for vibration ,then a layer of open cell foam and top off with a layer of long fibre wool mixed with dacron and glass wool.
Another concept I have seen some people use with good effect is to hang curtains(basically sheets of fabric) of different materials inside the speakers ,one person I know used a sheet of jute ,then thick cotton , then felt ,and finally the back wall had a layer of glass wool.All the hanging sheets had holes made in an alternating pattern and of various sizes so that the holes dont over overlap.He used this treatment for the Midrange section the driver he was using was a paper driver,and I can tell you that it worked brilliantly.

Last edited:
IMO, damping is different from stuffing. Dacron fibre et al are used for stuffing whereas Blackhole 5 et al is used for damping. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

KC, Isn't the core intention of stuffing is damping a few undesirable frequencies induced due to the cabinet vibration? Please correct me if I am wrong here.

I have used Bitumen Roofing felt to dampen vibrations in a few of my designs and it works very very well,its cheap and readily available ,stick on with a good epoxy based glue and your set.
Wow Adhiraj, I am really amazed to see that the idea which I had disposed off, thinking of it as an overkill, is already been implemented by you!! Kudos to you.
Even at times i had thoughts about applying hot and molten bitumen layer on the interior of the speaker canbinet! I think that would make a hell of a Dead Cabinet (But to apply this idea I will have to steal bitumen from the road construction site :eek:hyeah:)

I had used loose bundles of paddy straw for lining the back and sides of my boxes, there was noticeable improvement in the lower mids compared to stuffing with Dacron.

If you choose to experiment, make sure to treat the straw with an insecticide and dry it thoroughly before bundling.

Regds...

Paddy Straw!! That's an innovative idea!!
I think it would be the cheapest option.

Bitumen Roofing felt is available in sheets you can stick with glue, I have never poured tar into my speaker enclosures although I am tempted to try this approach ,will have to contact the road repair guys but I have to say the Idea of hot bonding bitumen to the panels is intriguing ,you can come up with your own proprietary mix!

Also the core intention of damping is to reduce vibrations that are produced by the enclosures ,the core intention of stuffing if to remove standing waves and prevent sound from going back out into the room through the cone by way of internal reflections.Both are separate and need to be addressed.

These links might be of some help and should help sort out your damping/stuffing conundrum
Cabinet damping
get stuffed [English]

I too am trying to figure out an effective way to damp the speaker box. One strategy that seems to be promising is to use a CLD or Constrained Layer Damping sheet to line the inside of the speaker cabinet.

We can buy a CLD product meant for the automotive industry - I guess that a damping solution that effectively damps structural vibrations as well as road/engine noise in a car should also work well for a speaker. 3M India makes a sound damping foil, and there are other products such as Second Skin Damplifier Pro. 3M also makes a sprayable product called Schutz that is meant to deaden sound.

Alternately, this principle could be incorporated in the cabinet wall itself by using a composite layered wall glued together instead of using a single block of MDF or ply.

Has anyone tried any of these products in a speaker cabinet or a car?
Would this work?

I too am trying to figure out an effective way to damp the speaker box. One strategy that seems to be promising is to use a CLD or Constrained Layer Damping sheet to line the inside of the speaker cabinet.

We can buy a CLD product meant for the automotive industry - I guess that a damping solution that effectively damps structural vibrations as well as road/engine noise in a car should also work well for a speaker. 3M India makes a sound damping foil, and there are other products such as Second Skin Damplifier Pro. 3M also makes a sprayable product called Schutz that is meant to deaden sound.

Alternately, this principle could be incorporated in the cabinet wall itself by using a composite layered wall glued together instead of using a single block of MDF or ply.

Has anyone tried any of these products in a speaker cabinet or a car?
Would this work?

The damping materials used for automobiles will reduce the cabinet resonance effectively, but I am quite sceptical about their sound absorption (or worse reflection) properties. They should not induce undue reflections inside the cabinet, making the situation worse.

KC, Isn't the core intention of stuffing is damping a few undesirable frequencies induced due to the cabinet vibration? Please correct me if I am wrong here.

The use of damping is correct for what you mention.

IMO, stuffing is used to reduce internal reflections, reduce standing waves and increase the perceived volume of the box.

Edit: Oops! I see Adhiraj beat me to it [explanation for stuffing] though he did not mention the volume thing.

Last edited:
Back