Baltic birch or MDF

You can use marine plywood as a replacement.
Screws do not tighten enough or may lose threading in MDF. One way to mitigate this is to use D-nuts to mount driver....
Agreed. I have used marine-grade plywood to good effect. Don't worry about all the fancy CLD cabinets, etc. Most of it is more theory than practice. For "normal" systems, well-braced marine-grade plywood will suffice (although most of my cabinets are CLD).

Troels designs are very very specific to the exact drivers he uses. The design consists of the drivers, cabinet dimensions and crossover as a combined unit. ..Then buy his crossovers and get the exact cabinet built. Any deviations in the above, and one is on his own.
Agreed. However, replacing baltic birch with marine-grade plywood shouldn't make a huge difference (at least not one that is audible). If in doubt, email Troels.

Just thought I'd add that SB acoustics have their won recommended speaker designs here
Agreed. Over the past few years, SB Acoustics drivers have had fewer issues (aka build quality and deviations from published specs) than drivers from SEAS or ScanSpeak.

Last edited:
Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back