Tapered Quarter Wave Tube (TQWT - mkII) Only Enclosure.

Todays Update

Chamfered the Front Face of Enclosure as per design requirement

IMG_20200929_180527.jpgIMG_20200929_194059.jpgIMG_20200929_194037.jpgIMG_20200929_194113.jpg

You all know I have made the cutouts manually with help of my circle jig and router. In the above photo you can see the cutouts as well as flush are in exact center. For such accuracy your markings for pilot hole should be perfect.
Sometimes even if the markings are perfect you may notice that when drilling a hole on the marked position it shifts may be by 1 mm here and there, this is where the looks are spoiled. So to overcome this drilling error I suggest everyone to use the brad point drill bits which are specially made for drilling in wood.

Here is the link Brad Point Drill Bits

Sadik

Last edited:
@sadik ,
Imo, the open end of the enclosure looks too wide. Is this a mass-loaded TQWT or a plain TQWT? Which mid-woofer or FR driver will be used in this enclosure? Hope its medium Qts and medium CMS with high Vas else the bass will be low. Hope you have done your simulation before making this enclosure for the said driver. Curious for answers.

Also you need not stuff the rear chamber beyond the bendings too much else the bass will be reduced. You can measure the impedance curve while stuffing to determine the correct stuffing with the drivers connected.

@sadik ,
Imo, the open end of the enclosure looks too wide. Is this a mass-loaded TQWT or a plain TQWT? Which mid-woofer or FR driver will be used in this enclosure? Hope its medium Qts and medium CMS with high Vas else the bass will be low. Hope you have done your simulation before making this enclosure for the said driver. Curious for answers.

Also you need not stuff the rear chamber beyond the bendings too much else the bass will be reduced. You can measure the impedance curve while stuffing to determine the correct stuffing with the drivers connected.

@Hari Iyer Bhai.

This TQWT design is of troels gravesen here is the link.
TQWT-mkII

I am only making the enclosure part only. The drivers and crossover is purchased as a kit and will be assembled once i hand over these beauties to the respected owner.

Ramesh,

Awaiting the day I can listen to them. Not sure with this pandemic around but first time I would be listening to troels's design.

Thanks
Balaji

Yes and I am hoping to keep this for a long time ;) and @sadik is doing a phenomenal job in executing the build to the perfection per design and I am not good in all these speaker designs unlike amps :)

@Hari Iyer Bhai.

This TQWT design is of troels gravesen here is the link.
TQWT-mkII

I am only making the enclosure part only. The drivers and crossover is purchased as a kit and will be assembled once i hand over these beauties to the respected owner.
If you look at crossover link, they have given the impedance curve. The line resonance is the first peak and the driver resonance is the second peak, the third peak is the tweeter impedance at resonance. The first and second peak have same amplitude and this is achieved by adjusting the stuffing in the box to the optimum quantity and location. Not doing so will set the TL box out of tune and may result either in loss of low end or excessive harmonics.

If the left first peak is more then add some more stuffing and if the right second peak is more then remove some stuffing. So unless you hookup the drivers to box and measure them mounted, it's difficult to achieve.
Alternatively there are some FMs who do this tuning by listening, which I am not yet done or tried.

My 2 paise.

If you look at crossover link, they have given the impedance curve. The line resonance is the first peak and the driver resonance is the second peak, the third peak is the tweeter impedance at resonance. The first and second peak have same amplitude and this is achieved by adjusting the stuffing in the box to the optimum quantity and location. Not doing so will set the TL box out of tune and may result either in loss of low end or excessive harmonics.

If the left first peak is more then add some more stuffing and if the right second peak is more then remove some stuffing. So unless you hookup the drivers to box and measure them mounted, it's difficult to achieve.
Alternatively there are some FMs who do this tuning by listening, which I am not yet done or tried.

My 2 paise.

@Hari Iyer Bro
I don't think with the variation of 10 - 20% on stuffing will have an immerse effect on performance, if that would be the matter then they may have not made this product as a kit,

After all its a DIY Kit, The designer must have noted this thing in his mind before designing. They also know that every DIY guy will not own measurement tools to measure the response.

There are many DIY guys who have followed this design and are very happy with the results without measuring them.

Ramesh,

Awaiting the day I can listen to them. Not sure with this pandemic around but first time I would be listening to troels's design.

Thanks
Balaji

Sure Balaji, once this pandemic slows down surely we can meet and its been a long time :)

@Hari Iyer Bro
I don't think with the variation of 10 - 20% on stuffing will have an immerse effect on performance, if that would be the matter then they may have not made this product as a kit,

After all its a DIY Kit, The designer must have noted this thing in his mind before designing. They also know that every DIY guy will not own measurement tools to measure the response.

There are many DIY guys who have followed this design and are very happy with the results without measuring them.
Measuring jig cost less than 50/- and software is free download, nothing harm in measuring. Measurements only reduce your work and keeps you accurate without guessing. Anyways it's all perception at the end of the day. Nothing right or wrong in either camp.

Besides it will value add to your skill set sir.

Maybe if you dream then your already excellent wood working skills and intelligence can be taken 2 levels higher.

An Indian version of TG will be well appreciated by the market and will be in line with our market expectations also.

Afterall...growth is life.

Good luck !

Besides it will value add to your skill set sir.

Maybe if you dream then your already excellent wood working skills and intelligence can be taken 2 levels higher.

An Indian version of TG will be well appreciated by the market and will be in line with our market expectations also.

Afterall...growth is life.

Good luck !

Thank you for your appreciation Brother

Impressive cabinet size

Which color has the owner chosen ?

Look forward to seeing the color choice
The Color will be Matt Black and below are the updates.
IMG_20201008_180120.jpgIMG_20201008_180128.jpgIMG_20201008_180137.jpg

Some More PU putty after sanding
IMG_20201008_193712.jpg
IMG_20201008_193723.jpg

This is the job which requires most of your labour work. Sanding, Painting, Sanding Painting till you get the desired finish.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back