3-Way Project with Beyma Drivers – 18 Inch / 8 Inch / Ribbon Horn TPL-150

sadik

Hi Friends

I am back with another Project, a 3-Way design with P A Drivers again. This time also its all Beyma drivers. 18 Inch Sub, 8 Inch Mid & Ribbon Horn Highs (TPL 150). All drivers are Neo Magnet. The Bass Enclosure will be separate, The Mids & Highs will be in separate enclosure.

As usual I have modeled the enclosure in 3D software (Solid Edge ST6) so that I can get the exact volume which is required as per design.

I am not writing too much on the enclosure design. I will be sharing the built process. So below are the photos of same.

Panels cutted on CNC
01 CNC Cutting.jpeg
Even though all panels are cut on CNC, Remember the CNC also has its own tolerance error. A table saw can be very useful when you need to flush the panel my 1 mm or 2mm.
WhatsApp Image 2021-09-04 at 9.19.32 PM.jpeg
Front Baffle is double 25 mm HDMMR (HDF) total 50 mm thick, Glued with each other & clamped.
02 Glue.jpeg
03 Clamp.jpeg

Getting the Frame ready, Sides Top & Bottom. These are screwed with each other,
04 Frame TBS.jpeg

Front face of Mids & Highs Enclosure
05 Mids & Highs Front.jpeg

Assembly of Bracing in Bass Enclosure
06 Bracing.jpeg

Felt used for lining internal walls of Bass Enclosure
07 Felt.jpeg

Gluing of Felt with internal walls with fevicol (Marine). I forgot to mention the glue I am using is Fevicol Marine grade
08 Felt Glue.jpeg

Mid Enclosure assembly
09 Mid Encl 2.jpeg
09 Mid enclosure Assembly.jpeg

Vents Cutting & Gluing. I am using Finolex schedule 40, A 4" Pipe for vents. It is very thick and very strong. This Pipe diameter is big for my Miter Saw so i have to make 2 passes to cut the pipe throughout.
10 vent cutting.jpeg
11 Vent Glue.jpeg

And here is my new toy again "Makita RP2301FC" Router to make the Round-over on the Vents. Its a very Powerful Router with 3.25 HP of Power. The coll-et size is 12 mm. It has variable speed so I can control the speed, this feature is very useful while using big diameter bits. This Router is Beast, I didn't feel any load on this machine, it was running like a hot knife on Butter. It is also very heavy but when using it, it was very steady and very comfortable. The Plunge mechanism was the Best among the routers which i have used till date.
12 Vent Radius.jpeg

The Radius of round-over is 19 mm. It just took 2 passes to get the job done. It is very difficult to do this radius with lower power rated routers.
13 Vent Radius.jpeg

Assembly of Front Baffle, In Front Baffle I have not used screws, Its just glued, However the Back Panel is screwed with Sides Top & Bottom.
14 Assembly of Top & Bottom.jpeg

After gluing today I did sanding, The HDMMR sheet is very hard I had to use belt sander to sand the edges and then Orbital sander for smooth finish, After sanding I patched the holes of screws with sawdust and glue.
14 Sanding with Belt Sander.jpeg
15 Filling up the Screw Holes.jpeg

This is the built journey till today. I will update this thread as i progress further.

Hi Friends

I am back with another Project, a 3-Way design with P A Drivers again. This time also its all Beyma drivers. 18 Inch Sub, 8 Inch Mid & Ribbon Horn Highs (TPL 150). All drivers are Neo Magnet. The Bass Enclosure will be separate, The Mids & Highs will be in separate enclosure.

As usual I have modeled the enclosure in 3D software (Solid Edge ST6) so that I can get the exact volume which is required as per design.

I am not writing too much on the enclosure design. I will be sharing the built process. So below are the photos of same.

Panels cutted on CNC
View attachment 61947
Even though all panels are cut on CNC, Remember the CNC also has its own tolerance error. A table saw can be very useful when you need to flush the panel my 1 mm or 2mm.
View attachment 61964
Front Baffle is double 25 mm HDMMR (HDF) total 50 mm thick, Glued with each other & clamped.
View attachment 61948
View attachment 61949

Getting the Frame ready, Sides Top & Bottom. These are screwed with each other,
View attachment 61950

Front face of Mids & Highs Enclosure
View attachment 61951

Assembly of Bracing in Bass Enclosure
View attachment 61952

Felt used for lining internal walls of Bass Enclosure
View attachment 61953

Gluing of Felt with internal walls with fevicol (Marine). I forgot to mention the glue I am using is Fevicol Marine grade
View attachment 61954

Mid Enclosure assembly
View attachment 61955
View attachment 61956

Vents Cutting & Gluing. I am using Finolex schedule 40, A 4" Pipe for vents. It is very thick and very strong. This Pipe diameter is big for my Miter Saw so i have to make 2 passes to cut the pipe throughout.
View attachment 61957
View attachment 61958

And here is my new toy again "Makita RP2301FC" Router to make the Round-over on the Vents. Its a very Powerful Router with 3.25 HP of Power. The coll-et size is 12 mm. It has variable speed so I can control the speed, this feature is very useful while using big diameter bits. This Router is Beast, I didn't feel any load on this machine, it was running like a hot knife on Butter. It is also very heavy but when using it, it was very steady and very comfortable. The Plunge mechanism was the Best among the routers which i have used till date.
View attachment 61959

The Radius of round-over is 19 mm. It just took 2 passes to get the job done. It is very difficult to do this radius with lower power rated routers.
View attachment 61960

Assembly of Front Baffle, In Front Baffle I have not used screws, Its just glued, However the Back Panel is screwed with Sides Top & Bottom.
View attachment 61961

After gluing today I did sanding, The HDMMR sheet is very hard I had to use belt sander to sand the edges and then Orbital sander for smooth finish, After sanding I patched the holes of screws with sawdust and glue.
View attachment 61962
View attachment 61963

This is the built journey till today. I will update this thread as i progress further.
Awesome.. All the very best for the project.. :)

Sadik, you seem to CNC cut the enclosure panels despite having a table saw, miter saw and a circular saw. And particular reason you do this?

Sadik, you seem to CNC cut the enclosure panels despite having a table saw, miter saw and a circular saw. And particular reason you do this?
It takes a lot of time to cut the sheets with circular saw. And i have axcess to CNC so i prefer to cut the sheets on CNC, Secondly the Table Saw is just for small work. This table saw is not suitable for big sheets. It needs an extension table to cut big sheets.

On CNC machines you get the job done at one go even circles flusing, odd shapes, you dont need to make special setup to cut them. So I prefer CNC to chut my sheets.

After patching the screw holes, sanding was done. I have dedicated Sander for Rough / Medium & Smooth grit papers. The Makita Belt Sander is for Rough Grit & the Bosch 6 inch Orbital sanders are for Medium & Smooth grit.
Sanding.jpeg

I wish I had a workshop like yours sadik bhai,
Congrats on the build.
Thankyou Bhai

Before Making it to the final finish, time to do some measurements to make frd and zma files for xover. The place is not suitable to take measurements due to too much reflection issues but a little bit of skill and experience i am able to achieve what i want.

We need to take a lot of measurements Near Field , Far Field, Port for all drivers. In Below Photo i am taking Near Field Measurement of woofer.
Measurement 2.jpeg
Responses of all Measurements. Near Field as well as Far Field
Measurement 1.jpeg
Even after taking measurements there are lot of additional steps & calculations involved to make frd and zma files which i will not disclose.

Last edited by a moderator:
After taking measurements the crossover was finalized. So now the drivers are removed from the enclosures and are getting ready for color work.

I did not took the photos of the Crossover, i didnt realized until everything was dismantled, but I have a video which was shot by my friend It has the crossover. I am sharing the video.

Below is the 1st step for paint job, Applying putty on all Joints to cover up unevenness / dents
Putty 2.jpeg
Putty.jpeg

Now the Xover is finalized & its time to glue the back baffle of Mid enclosure. The Xover will be fitted in the cutout chamber, The Chamber will be covered with acrylic plate with help of screws. If we need a little alteration then we can open this plate and do changes in our Xover, the Binding posts will also be fitted on this plate.
Mid Back.jpeg

Meanwhile frame for grills are also ready.
Grills.jpeg

Update:

Yesterday I had assembled the Bass Enclosures. The Xover of Bass is mounted in same enclosure hence only 2 conponents. and Inductor & a Capacitor.
1.jpeg
2.jpeg
3.jpeg

Today, Till now I was able to complete the Xover layout for Mids & Highs. This xover will be mounted in their respective enclosure
4.jpeg
5.jpeg
6.jpeg

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back