Dark Gray Screen

gainil

Hi Guys,

Has anyone experimented with a DIY Dark Gray screen (or black) for projector?

There are some videos on YouTube but not understanding what color mix they used.

Any help?

Thanks

Nothing particular, except it shouldn't be too costly, my plan was to buy a ply board and paint with some combination of black/gray.

danielnaveen2003, Would be great if you can give some information about it.

Egate P531, label shows, Brightness at Source: 3600 lumens, ANSI: 600, HD 1920 x 1080 support and 1280 x 800 native resolution.

I want to put a screen of size 85" x 48" (if use a ply board) or 96" x 54" (if paint the wall directly)

Is it possible to get something like this video on YouTube 'Black projector projection screen (Az Black Pearl Paint)' ?

Az Black Pearl Paint is going to be difficult mix up in India, and i think the guy who came up with that mix made the proportions commercial at some point. Beside colour accuracy has always been a concern with that mix. Looking at your projector it appears to be a normal throw projector (throw ratio greater that .5) correct me if I'm wrong here as this makes a big difference in the mix you can use.

For a normal throw projector you can use a retro reflective paint mix, I use what is called the black widow ultra (an open source paint mix project). It requires a neutral grey water based paint and aluminum flakes (auto air fine). The aluminum flakes are not available in India but can be bought and delivered to India. For the base paint use asian paint royale interior paint (soft sheen) colour code (silver - 6142). This colour has a RGB value of 186,189,188 and its the closest you can get to the grey they recommend in the project. I have experimented with darker greys but they tend to clip shadow detail.

I use a 3mm pvc foam board as my screen, but you could use plywood as well, it will just be a lot heavier.

Thanks danielnaveen2003,

No idea about the throw ratio,

You are right, using plywood will be much heavier, I will try to find that size PVC foam board.

About the color, I am fine with anything that doesn't show images washed out.

Getting paint doesn't seem to be issue, searching for aluminium flakes on google doesn't show much results, can you point out some link for reference?

Also would be great if you can show some pics of your screen, if possible.

Thanks

This the link to auto air fine aluminum base

https://www.amazon.com/Auto-Air-Col...&qid=1494842180&sr=8-2&keywords=auto+air+fine

Pictures of my screen can be seen in the XGIMI H1 review thread, I can take a picture of it without on image later today.

But do note retro reflective grey screens will not enhance the contrast of your projector, they simply lower the black floor which helps in the perceived contrast in non treated rooms without taking away too much brightness.

Any other trick or mix to enhance contrast ?

For the time being will use simple white screen or wall, once I get all the material required, may be give it a try.

Saw your screen pics on the thread, its nice

Thankyou so much for the help

Nothing you go externally will increase a projector's native contrast ratio. Using the black widow mix will surely enhance the perceived contrast.

IMG_3980.jpg
With lights off. Just one led bulb is on about 7feet away from the screen

IMG_3982.jpg
Close up of the screen

IMG_3983.jpg
With a regular tube light on from the side

I hope this answers your questions. Good luck!

Hi Guys,

Has anyone experimented with a DIY Dark Gray screen (or black) for projector?

There are some videos on YouTube but not understanding what color mix they used.

Any help?

Thanks

I have done extensive experiments with dark grey screen and have finally settled for the one attached as image.

Cheers!

Attachments

• IMG_20170221_095715198.jpg
    IMG_20170221_095715198.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 335
I have done extensive experiments with dark grey screen and have finally settled for the one attached as image.

Cheers!

Great!
It would be really helpful, if you can share-

1. Brand / screen used.
2. Paint / mix used.
3. Some projection images (if possible comparison of same videos on your previous setup vs current grey screen).
4. Cost involved.
5. Size, throw distance, PJ used, etc.

Ace.

Any other trick or mix to enhance contrast ?

For the time being will use simple white screen or wall, once I get all the material required, may be give it a try.

Saw your screen pics on the thread, its nice

Thankyou so much for the help

DSC04252.jpg
Just to clarify what perceived contrast is, I have put a piece of white paper on the screen and used a better camera. You can see how the black floor is lowered by the grey screen without loosing out on the background detail.

DSC04250.jpg

And here a picture in moderate ambient light

@danielnaveen2003, even after having bright light from window, the colors look very nice, gona try it once get my hands on aluminium flake/dust

Great!
It would be really helpful, if you can share-

1. Brand / screen used.
2. Paint / mix used.
3. Some projection images (if possible comparison of same videos on your previous setup vs current grey screen).
4. Cost involved.

Ace.

1. Brand / screen used.
A. Asian Paints

2. Paint / mix used.
A. Painted the wall. 1/4" wooden strips painted black

The paint is white water based primer tinted with black universal strainer. Added about 20 grams of aluminum powder.
Technique: Applied 4 coats with roller allowing each coat to dry completely. Lightly (very lightly) sanded the surface with finest sandpaper.

A. Will do that over the weekend.

4. Cost involved.
Less than Rs.200 for paint. Add Rs.100 for the wooden strips. Wooden strips just glued to the wall. Most expensive was the beer; 12 cans :cool:

A. 140" from about 10 feet by an Optoma HD141X

6. Time spent
A. A weekend

Hope this helps.

I might try this trick coming weekend. Thanks for the info.

Sent from my HUAWEI P7-L10 using Tapatalk

1. Brand / screen used.
A. Asian Paints

2. Paint / mix used.
A. Painted the wall. 1/4" wooden strips painted black

The paint is white water based primer tinted with black universal strainer. Added about 20 grams of aluminum powder.
Technique: Applied 4 coats with roller allowing each coat to dry completely. Lightly (very lightly) sanded the surface with finest sandpaper.

A. Will do that over the weekend.

4. Cost involved.
Less than Rs.200 for paint. Add Rs.100 for the wooden strips. Wooden strips just glued to the wall. Most expensive was the beer; 12 cans :cool:

A. 140" from about 10 feet by an Optoma HD141X

6. Time spent
A. A weekend

Hope this helps.

Hi,

Few more questions -

. What measurements you used for Primer and black strainer?
. Aluminium powder - do we ask simply for Aluminium powder in the paint shops?
. If possible, please send images of the screen when lights are turned on (or day light) and off

Thanks

Last edited:
Hi,

The stainer was mostly guesswork and a gut feel. Like I said earlier, I have been experimenting and starting with darker shades. If you have a wall, you have the luxury to meddle. If your PJ can put out higher Lumen you can try darker grey. I also hope you have your reasons for going the grey way (there are in fact many)

As to aluminum powder, paint stores sell packets of gold and aluminum powder to which painters mix a lacquer or varnish to paint grill, gates and stuff.

If not, buy aluminum paint by Asian paint and it has two containers. The aluminum past under the cap and the varnish below that. Use the paste and save the varnish for later use.

I will post the pictures shortly

Hope this helps

Last edited:
As specified in this forum I used royal soft sheen 6142 (steel) along with the aluminum powder comes with mangoes aluminum paint varnish. It was a bit more grey than I expected but turned out awesome. All walls were pure white and when projector turned on it was like no need for any more light in that room before I use this paint. Now am getting perfect black , high contrast images. But make sure your Projector ve better lumen because it absorbs a lot of light. Anyway I am very happy, thanks for the help.

Attachments

• P_20171012_011356-640x360.jpg
    P_20171012_011356-640x360.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 236
Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back