Dedicated DAC or AVR ?

k_vijay12

I am looking for a DAC to play my digital music files and to connect my HD DTH and Blu ray player. I know most AVRs have basic DAC, I am wondering is it worth investing $500 on a dedicated DAC when i can get a entry level AVR like Marantz 1403 / 1504.

DACs under consideration : NAD 1050, Cambridge Audio DacMagic +, Schiit Bifrost Uber, also eagerly awaiting Oppo's yet to be launched Headphone amp cum DAC.

Also is PS3 internal DAC a good one ? Can i route the DTH TV Audio from PS3 DAC ? If so how ? for music I can connect to the USB slot of PS3.... but not sure of the audio quality

Please advice

I am looking for a DAC to play my digital music files and to connect my HD DTH and Blu ray player. I know most AVRs have basic DAC, I am wondering is it worth investing $500 on a dedicated DAC when i can get a entry level AVR like Marantz 1403 / 1504.

DACs under consideration : NAD 1050, Cambridge Audio DacMagic +, Schiit Bifrost Uber, also eagerly awaiting Oppo's yet to be launched Headphone amp cum DAC.

Also is PS3 internal DAC a good one ? Can i route the DTH TV Audio from PS3 DAC ? If so how ? for music I can connect to the USB slot of PS3.... but not sure of the audio quality

Please advice

A stand alone DAC would be better than an AVR's DAC.. If you already own a plain old good stereo amplifier, then DAC with network functionality will be good as most of your content is Digital & you can play them on the fly....

A stand alone DAC would be better than an AVR's DAC.. If you already own a plain old good stereo amplifier, then DAC with network functionality will be good as most of your content is Digital & you can play them on the fly....

Any products / brands / models you would suggest with network functionality?

I think you already have the answer in your question, from your requirements it looks like a AVR should be a good fit.

Why an AVR for music,? Especially since you already have an AVR for HT.

Look for a DAC in the range of $ 200 to 300 or a network work player around $ 400 . I find the inbuilt DAC of my marantz NA 7004 to be of high quality hence removed my standalone DAC magic from the chain

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back