Dedicated DAC or AVR ?

k_vijay12

I am looking for a DAC to play my digital music files and to connect my HD DTH and Blu ray player. I know most AVRs have basic DAC, I am wondering is it worth investing $500 on a dedicated DAC when i can get a entry level AVR like Marantz 1403 / 1504.

DACs under consideration : NAD 1050, Cambridge Audio DacMagic +, Schiit Bifrost Uber, also eagerly awaiting Oppo's yet to be launched Headphone amp cum DAC.

Also is PS3 internal DAC a good one ? Can i route the DTH TV Audio from PS3 DAC ? If so how ? for music I can connect to the USB slot of PS3.... but not sure of the audio quality

Please advice

I am looking for a DAC to play my digital music files and to connect my HD DTH and Blu ray player. I know most AVRs have basic DAC, I am wondering is it worth investing $500 on a dedicated DAC when i can get a entry level AVR like Marantz 1403 / 1504.

DACs under consideration : NAD 1050, Cambridge Audio DacMagic +, Schiit Bifrost Uber, also eagerly awaiting Oppo's yet to be launched Headphone amp cum DAC.

Also is PS3 internal DAC a good one ? Can i route the DTH TV Audio from PS3 DAC ? If so how ? for music I can connect to the USB slot of PS3.... but not sure of the audio quality

Please advice

A stand alone DAC would be better than an AVR's DAC.. If you already own a plain old good stereo amplifier, then DAC with network functionality will be good as most of your content is Digital & you can play them on the fly....

A stand alone DAC would be better than an AVR's DAC.. If you already own a plain old good stereo amplifier, then DAC with network functionality will be good as most of your content is Digital & you can play them on the fly....

Any products / brands / models you would suggest with network functionality?

I think you already have the answer in your question, from your requirements it looks like a AVR should be a good fit.

Why an AVR for music,? Especially since you already have an AVR for HT.

Look for a DAC in the range of $ 200 to 300 or a network work player around $ 400 . I find the inbuilt DAC of my marantz NA 7004 to be of high quality hence removed my standalone DAC magic from the chain

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back