Dedicated Home Theatre room

• Thread starter Deleted member 38504
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 38504

My man cave or so shall we call it :) For now 5.1 setup

11’ x 14’ feet are the dimensions.

What I already own : 1 Yamaha Aventage AVR.
2 Def tech bookshelves for front
3 Golden ear center speaker

What I need : 1 subwoofer
2 Surround speakers
3 Projector
4 Screen
5 Floor Rug and acoustics work for the walls

Very important is concealing the wires for the speakers. And I need access to the wires in case I need to change the wires etc.

CFD7B068-0C77-41DD-BE3B-540AFBBC7FEF.jpeg

What I also need is some nice lights for ambient lightening. The windows will curtains to make the room dark. It’s a simple room with a simple budget nothing fancy. What I need to figure out is how to conceal the wiring.

I'd rather use the length of the room with a pull down screen (manual or remote) in front of the window. That way you can have the surrounds a little behind the couch. Much better than the couch up against the back wall.

Oh got it. That seems ike a better idea. Thanks. Does the room need to be completely dark for a projector? Or lil ambient light is ok?

Options for surround for a pair max cost about 20k.

Might even do ceiling speakers, so it will be a 7.1 setup, again options please. Budget 20-30k.

Am getting a interior designer to help with the fixtures and wiring. Just need ideas and options.

Options for surround for a pair max cost about 20k.

Might even do ceiling speakers, so it will be a 7.1 setup, again options please. Budget 20-30k.

Am getting a interior designer to help with the fixtures and wiring. Just need ideas and options.
For ceiling speakers go with jbl or qsc.
Dark room gives better performance.

Oh got it. That seems ike a better idea. Thanks. Does the room need to be completely dark for a projector? Or lil ambient light is ok?

I too agree on the idea of using the length of the room to your advantage by placing the screen against the window instead of placing on the side wall. This would give you a optimum experience with the ability to put an optional second row of seating should you plan to put one behind the primary listening position (although it can be tricky given the size of the room)

As far as acoustics goes, I have had pretty good success with using Aural Exchange and went with their foam panels which not only look great but does the job and we were quite amazed at our studio on how we went from Nasty echos to almost a super silent room with almost no slap backs. I recommend you at least allocate 15-20k for room acoustics. I know Aural Exchange pretty well and can help you with decent discounts when you buy from them (btw I am no where affiliated with them). You are going to need back wall diffusers, side wall absorption, ceiling absorption and bass traps for all 4 corners (both bottom and top)

Given this is still going to be part of your living room - its should be ok for some ambient light to come in and you can always go for darker colour schemes for your wall, curtains and rugs. The Acoustic panels, I would recommend you again go with darker colour scheme as they immediately give you that much needed ambience once installed.

Almost all of the latest projectors look pretty bright even in living room conditions. I am currently sourcing an Optoma UHD 300X from Germany which is a sibling model of UHD50 with less lumens but its brightness levels are good from what I saw. I am not sure if you have any models in mind for the projector ?

If you never plan to use the window you can opt for a fixed screen (may be DIY) else you might need to settle with a good quality pull down screen. In my little experience I never felt good about the pull downs when compared to the what a fixed screen can offer.

You can also plan to carpet the whole room and a good quality with labour shouldn't cost more than 10-12k for the whole room.

Last edited:
It's a small room. You will need to choose the projector carefully for projection distance and brightness. You can mount it in a box or shelf on the wall opposite the screen. The best site for understanding and selecting projectors is projectorcentral.com

@vj_box firstly thank u so much for the detailed write up , much appreciated.

I will get in touch with you wrt acoustics and rugs. For now I have no ideas about what projector or screen I am going to get. You guys are right I’m going to use the length of the room as rightly said. Thanks @Naturelover for that idea too. I’ll also checkout the website u mentioned.

@vj_box firstly thank u so much for the detailed write up , much appreciated.

I will get in touch with you wrt acoustics and rugs. For now I have no ideas about what projector or screen I am going to get. You guys are right I’m going to use the length of the room as rightly said. Thanks @Naturelover for that idea too. I’ll also checkout the website u mentioned.

Sure happy to help!

11’ x 14’ feet are the dimensions.

My living room is of the same dimension as yours.. If you were to use the longest side for projection, even with a projector using throw ratio of 1.5, you will end up with a diagonal screen size of 120inch.. Roughly 9 ft wide image.. This will leave you with 1ft on either side of your projection screen to place your left & right speakers.. i.e the corners of the room..

You can use the longest side of the room for projection, when you have Acoustic transparent screen (L-C-R, behind screen).. Since you may get a pull down/remote controlled screen, these will push the speakers beside the screen & leave you with no space for speakers on the sides..

It would be better if you plan to project on 14 feet wall.. Even if you would get 8 ft wide image, you would still have 2 feet on either side of the projector screen to place speakers..

For surrounds, you can look at any BS speaker mounted on the room corners, facing your listening position..

I use the 14ft wide wall to project the image.. I get around 100inch diagonal screen, viewing from approx 10feet from the seating position..

Keep your choices for the speakers & projector open , there are some deals aval ;)..

Iam late to this thread as I have been a bit late to realize a lot of other things audio related :)

Since you are getting a dedicated room to yourself. Please also consider power supply issues. If possible run a dedicated powerline to this room. And make it as thick as possible.

I recently got my home done, but didn't factor the above into my design considerations. Though I have a neat looking setup with fully concealed speaker wiring. The thin strands of red and back wires supplying power to my equipment that the builder gave as standard are putting doubts in my mind.

Oh wow, dedicated room. Thats a Dream for many. Is 5.1 the first step or will be it be a phased increment? If yes, then you may want to future proof the room for future fixtures. Also, it would help you get lights, power supply, etc to be Alexa compatible. You could then adjust brightness, switch on/off, etc by voice commands.

MaSh

Things are beginning to take shape.

*Updates*

1. AVR is now a Marantz SR6012
2. Rear surrounds are JBL arena
3. 150 feet of pink QED 16 gauge wire

*Still to buy*

1. 4 Atmos speakers
2. Subwoofer- Options are SVS pb1000 or sb1000, sunfire SDS 10 or SDS 12, Emotiva BASX12, Taga TSW 200
3. 65” VU TV ( That’s the only 65” tv I can afford )

Keeping in mind my room is small, only 14 by 11 feet, what sub should I go for? For the moment I can’t do dual subs.

Actually he should.....but given the busy schedule he has which is honestly race against time....doubtful.......i explained as much as i could around the PL 200 which i use currently.......

Basx 12 has not been available since past 4 months, I think I’ll just go with a blind SVS.

Before you go for the SVS purchase....consider Sealed V/S Ported models.......for movies....ported works better....

Consider their overall size for placement in the room and decide.....you possibly could be better off with a Def tech Super Cube....

Things are beginning to take shape.

*Updates*

1. AVR is now a Marantz SR6012
2. Rear surrounds are JBL arena
3. 150 feet of pink QED 16 gauge wire

*Still to buy*

1. 4 Atmos speakers
2. Subwoofer- Options are SVS pb1000 or sb1000, sunfire SDS 10 or SDS 12, Emotiva BASX12, Taga TSW 200
3. 65” VU TV ( That’s the only 65” tv I can afford )

Keeping in mind my room is small, only 14 by 11 feet, what sub should I go for? For the moment I can’t do dual subs.

See this link for possible Atmos speakers....Micca and Polk seem to be doing well...

Pretty much decided on svs SB1000 for the sub in HT room considering the size.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back