Delhi the most pathatic A/V Dealership/professional place.

The scenario is the same here in CHANDIGARH.

man. everywhere there are dealer woes. But, we here know only side of the story. I wish the some of the dealers in the country to step-up and explain there side of the story too.

Gobble:What I have noticed is that many dealers do notice the sunglasses, the watch, the jewellery clothes and shoes you wear, the car you drive, and decide if your are worth their time or not.

Fully agree with Gobble. This is not only true for Audio systems but for many expensive things. I still remember a decade back been to one of the hyundai show rooms in Gurgaon for a serious look at Santro and even after repeated requests, no sales man turned up may be becasue of my attire! ( I mean my dress and chappals).Finally I had to settle with Maruti.

rgds,
Venu

Sam!!

I am free b/w 15th and 30th as my wife and kid are going to their parents house. Lets keep a weekend date ( Sunday preferred). I shall see if Ashish can come too. It shall be good fun.

I am also working on a Delhi Hifi meet just like Chennai and Bangalore. But, this will happen during end on of January. I shall start a thread during beginning on Jan.

You know Sam, with all these dealer woes in Delhi, I am thinking I should open a store with-a-difference in delhi:lol:

Cheers!!

I will be out on 25/26/27 that is fri sat sun. The only weekend after that would be the new year, which would be after 30th when your family returns.
So, either its 19/20(sat/sun) or 28/29(mon/tus).

You know Sam, with all these dealer woes in Delhi, I am thinking I should open a store with-a-difference in delhi:lol:

Your statement reminds me of Rocket Singh Sales (service with difference) :D ...Would you like a partner :), I have some investment to pour in as well... ;)

Last edited:
This is not only true for Audio systems but for many expensive things. I still remember a decade back been to one of the hyundai show rooms in Gurgaon for a serious look at Santro and even after repeated requests, no sales man turned up may be becasue of my attire! ( I mean my dress and chappals).[/I]Finally I had to settle with Maruti.
rgds,
Venu

Delhi is plagued with this notion, people believe in showing more than what they actually have, and so vice versa....there are takers as well, who goes along with the ones who show more then trying to figure out the authenticity...........this I believe is less down in south India

Last edited:
Lucky tht we in Blr has got some really good dealers who doesnt look at the car u drive in or the jewellery you are wearing before deciding on whether to give a demo or not, they all are more than happy to help, yet to have a bad experience except for Pro Fx which again wasnt anywhere as bad as what the delhi dealers have done to Sam.

More over the dealers here are more than willing to help if you are a novice buyer looking to step into the world of hifi.

What will you say if you ever come to Kolkata. Some of the greatest stupids and idiots are in the business related to A/V. They hardly have any info or knowledge on the product they deal in and most of them have no ready stock of their product.:mad::sad:

my two bits: try and take an appointment for what you want to see.

all these guys have sites, numbers.

if you do this you know what to expect, or not (so, don't go/waste time).

also, very rarely are walk in customers likely to make 'sizable/huge' hi-fi purchases. they don't know the kind you are.

i know the shop in select city gets a lot of walk-ins, just curious people (not justifying their behavior, only trying to bring in a perspective).

Last edited:
Look at how a upscale dealer may think:

"When you pay Rs. 800 to 1000 a square feet for rentals, spend 15-20 lakhs on interiors, and keep a few lakh Rupees of stock, you don't want to spend time with a prospect who will take endless hours of demos and ask endless questions on prices, technology, interconnects, cables, region code, soundstage, frequency coverage, etc. Who the hell cares about these things in any case? Does the prospect even understand the questions he is asking? I am sure he has been primed by some friend of his to ask these questions, or even by another shop owner to make us look bad. Maybe he learnt all these questions from that "%$#@^^@" site that is called HiFiVisor or something. And worst, at the end of all this, he will just go elsewhere and buy the stuff. Why should I even show him a demo?

I would rather work with a guy who drives in a Merc, looks at the sexy brands we have and buys an A/V System to match his Rolex watches, Gucci shoes, and Park Avenue suits."

Gobble, your comments are welcome. :):)

Cheers

a class in 'body lingo' is also essential/can make a diff.

a lot of us have said a lot about Mr. Viren @LyritaAudio in a lot of threads on this forum. i second the suggestion to check him and his offerings out. other than being a gentleman and mostly in it for the love of music, he is also a professional at acoustic room design (among many more things), having places like the delhi hard rock cafe to his credit, among others.

you may also check out lesser known sound 'n style, def col (def tech, etc.) and acoustic arts, c r park (tannoy, velodyne).

Try Bass'n'treble in Dwarka, Manish Plaza. I did quite a bit of research in Kolkata and Delhi and finally ended up purchasing from them. In fact I had visited the dealers in CR Park to Chandni Chowk and also Gurgaon area.
Happy listening.

siddharth trehan on this forum also had good things to say of them.

Now I am "there" having left "here" a few days back.

Your observation is spot on and I tend to agree with you that considering the ultimate truth of the business side of hifi, I can't put the entire blame on the dealers - the major reason I mentioned in one of my earlier posts that one has to first decide on the quantum of money one is willing to spend before venturing into this hobby - Everyone likes to have the best possible equipment but then reality creeps in late. I have seen people willing to spend maximum a few thousand rupees and then discussing options like separate transport, DAC, preamp, power amp etc whereas the reality is that he or she cannot aspire for more than an all-in-one system. It is not difficult to read from forums like this and other websites options, prices etc, and then take the most pragmatic route and narrow down your visits to those dealers who may be able to help you.

The other side of the coin is the dealer himself who caters more to the needs of those willing to spend money and in my state, I know of quite a few who do extensive business with the so-called super rich cashew-capitalists, spice tycoons, politicians and others who buy these things more for decorative purpose than listening. Prestige, that is what counts.

unfortunately 'snob value' has gotten associated with hi-fi like many other simple pleasures of life. i know a lot of people who will strive for something only coz the sales man suggested it is beyond his reach. craving to get an entry or actually be accepted in the select elite circle is a reality afflicting a good percentage of us.

The best approach for a consumer like you and I --- first learn to stretch your legs before attempting to walk and later run.

cheers from the land of dates and camels...
murali

a lot of us have said a lot about Mr. Viren @LyritaAudio in a lot of threads on this forum. i second the suggestion to check him and his offerings out. other than being a gentleman and mostly in it for the love of music, he is also a professional at acoustic room design (among many more things), having places like the delhi hard rock cafe to his credit, among others.

you may also check out lesser known sound 'n style, def col (def tech, etc.) and acoustic arts, c r park (tannoy, velodyne).

Thanks for the info ashok, LyritaAudio already added to my list for next weekend's venture. Acoustics arts is new to me added that as well for later auditions. Sounds worth visiting the way you have discribed.

Now I am "there" having left "here" a few days back.

Your observation is spot on and I tend to agree with you that considering the ultimate truth of the business side of hifi, I can't put the entire blame on the dealers - the major reason I mentioned in one of my earlier posts that one has to first decide on the quantum of money one is willing to spend before venturing into this hobby - Everyone likes to have the best possible equipment but then reality creeps in late. I have seen people willing to spend maximum a few thousand rupees and then discussing options like separate transport, DAC, preamp, power amp etc whereas the reality is that he or she cannot aspire for more than an all-in-one system. It is not difficult to read from forums like this and other websites options, prices etc, and then take the most pragmatic route and narrow down your visits to those dealers who may be able to help you.

The other side of the coin is the dealer himself who caters more to the needs of those willing to spend money and in my state, I know of quite a few who do extensive business with the so-called super rich cashew-capitalists, spice tycoons, politicians and others who buy these things more for decorative purpose than listening. Prestige, that is what counts.

The best approach for a consumer like you and I --- first learn to stretch your legs before attempting to walk and later run.

cheers from the land of dates and camels...
murali

extremely agree with murali and venkatcr. once i went to a shop called digital park in ashok nagar, chennai. i went in with the idea of buying cable for my sub woofer, but the guy in the shop told me that they wont sell cables to customers who didnt bought product from their shop.i Had no word to reply that sale guru. just asked him how are u producing your own customers and left the shop without expecting an answer.

Last edited:
Its the same with most of the corp showroom everywhere...

I visited Onkyo's showroom at Forum mall last weekend. It is a small setup with no dedicated demo room but a small demo setup. When I went there, a family was viewing the demo and a guy (who later turned out to be the shop guy) standing with them. I was with my daughter in a stroller and struggling to open the heavy glass door. The guy was just watching me struggle and didn't even have the basic courtesy to open it for me :mad:

When I finally managed to enter I was not attended to. The guy just kept standing watching the demo himself. It was not that he was actively demoing or explaining things to the other customers, he could very well have come over and asked me what I wanted but no...he just stood there watching the movie himself.

Eventually when the family left, he came up to me and stood there (so much for salesmanship). He just wan't inclined to answer my queries and on the price front he was like 'are you going to buy right now?'. When I told him about the discounts at other Onkyo shops from the same group, he said 'then buy it from them, they'd still take the piece from here'!!! I could not even get into technical stuff with him but I doubt if would have gone beyond the wattage of the system.

I can't understand why was he so disgruntled. I can imagine that in a maill like this, there'd be more sightseers than actual buyers but that's true for any mall. Even if he is frustrated with ppl just walking in and walking out, that's still no excuse for him to be snappy.

I can't understand why was he so disgruntled. I can imagine that in a maill like this, there'd be more sightseers than actual buyers but that's true for any mall. Even if he is frustrated with ppl just walking in and walking out, that's still no excuse for him to be snappy.

That's probably the reason. With no city and town planning of public places there are few pedestrian walkways and hang-outs in our cities, resulting in overcrowding of college kids in Forum. :)

Of course Bangalore is blessed with many public parks but youngsters these days feel like "nobody" if they hang around parks - because being a consumer is so much part of ones self-concept - A fear that "If I dont aspire to buy, I will become a non-entity". So much that people think of their own life ahead in terms of purchasing mile-stones - when I buy this, once I get a ---, or once I acquire a ---. Personal ambition has subtly been replaced by consumer "greed" ( I use the word not in a moralistic fashion, rather to portray overriding desire) .

Of course thats no excuse to treat a customer shabbily. Just drifting and rambling ... :)

Regards

I will be out on 25/26/27 that is fri sat sun. The only weekend after that would be the new year, which would be after 30th when your family returns.
So, either its 19/20(sat/sun) or 28/29(mon/tus).

Your statement reminds me of Rocket Singh Sales (service with difference) :D ...Would you like a partner :), I have some investment to pour in as well... ;)

Sumit any update in this....?????

AS of now it seems it is going to be 28/29(mon/tus). Lets speak around 26th and finalize. Howz this?

Looks good to me...... will call you on 26th or may be earlier (I can call you earlier as well right)......

Back