Delhi the most pathatic A/V Dealership/professional place.

On a recent visit to the MGF Mall in Gurgaon,I visited 6-7 HiFi shops,all in a row.Most of them had a small HT room,which I had no interest in.In the front 10x10 app. area,there were several tower speaker's lined up,like cows in a cattle fair.The speakers were bang up against the back wall,no spikes,wobbly because the floor was crooked,generic IC's and cables.In some cases two channel auditions were being done with DVD players and AVR's.Needless to say ,I came back with a bursting headache from the shrill sounding speakers,and disgust in my heart at these HiFi Mart's which seemed to me,more like vegetable mart's:sad:

It would be nice if HifiMart had a selection of speakers,amps,cdp's,etc. available for online purchase,with transparent pricing.Would ensure less confusion and better deals for forum member's.

ajay I see you are from Chandigarh, hows the audio video dealership scene there ...... any good dealers you can suggest, my cousin lives there and might be interested

ajay I see you are from Chandigarh, hows the audio video dealership scene there ...... any good dealers you can suggest, my cousin lives there and might be interested

There's a dealer for Yamaha,Wharfedale called Melody House in sector 17,for Marantz and Jamo in the DT Mall.And a dealer for Pro FX called Simphony,in sector 8.That's it.:)

There's a dealer for Yamaha,Wharfedale called Melody House in sector 17,for Marantz and Jamo in the DT Mall.And a dealer for Pro FX called Simphony,in sector 8.That's it.:)

Thanks, thats enough for him to get a start ..... :)

venkat here is quite right and so is sam, though i live in delhi i would say one one or 2 dealers are good. the rest of them who sit in malls selling expensive brands think that they are selling somthing exceptional and that execptional equipment is only meant for rich people.Many dealers in delhi especialy in the malls themselves have very little knowledge about the products for example things like 2-2,3-2 pulldown , native resolutions ,working of audyssey and ypao can make them stare at their showroom cielings and they just dont know what to say .I asked a guy about the channel power ratings of a cambridge 5 channel amp and i was surprised to hear "220v no convertor needed" :yahoo:

venkat here is quite right and so is sam, though i live in delhi i would say one one or 2 dealers are good. the rest of them who sit in malls selling expensive brands think that they are selling somthing exceptional and that execptional equipment is only meant for rich people.Many dealers in delhi especialy in the malls themselves have very little knowledge about the products for example things like 2-2,3-2 pulldown , native resolutions ,working of audyssey and ypao can make them stare at their showroom cielings and they just dont know what to say .I asked a guy about the channel power ratings of a cambridge 5 channel amp and i was surprised to hear "220v no convertor needed" :yahoo:

Ignorance is acceptable. But in Delhi , it is the arrogance that is quite glaringly seen in the shops. Besides, the shopkeeper will try to poke fun at you if you make some enquiries about a product, that the visitor is not welcome. The shopkeeper shall be contemptously looking at you the poor creature as if you are from a different planet. It is a habit, it is a way of life in Delhi. If you are dressed in suits and arrive in Honda or Merc, then things will be different.

vjc

Hi,

One more thing to add to this debate. I used to work for a shop in Bangalore for Onkyo HT and B&W and I was the kind of guy who used to do research, search the internet, update my knowledge with latest journals etc and I could set up any Onkyo receiver with my eyes shut. I used to read every single receiver manual to know all the features. You get the picture right? In walks this customer and takes a demo. I have spent 4-5 hours on a demo for this guy, done all the hard work to convince him, then he goes away and comes back a week later to our shop (Because our shop was also a library of DVD Region 1 movies) and tell me coolly that he had bought the system I suggested based on his needs at another shop. Why, because he had got it Rs 500/- cheaper say for a Rs 45,000/- system. So tell me where does this leave me as a sales guy cum tech head. Here comes the joke now, he now tells me that his system is not working properly, can I come to his place and set it up for him as it is a free service. So I tell him what about the other dealer from whom he bought it? He says that they delivered it, gave him the phone number for the Onkyo company guy to set it up, and the customer tried it himself and it does not sound as nice as it does in my shop. So soon I was out of a job and from pressures from my manager and I quit. So I am now totally into a different field now. Audio and HT is only a hobby now. I am sorry to say that we as a people usually do not do justice to a person who gives us genuine service.

I hope this presents the other side of the coin.

Vinod

Hi,

One more thing to add to this debate. I used to work for a shop in Bangalore for Onkyo HT and B&W and I was the kind of guy who used to do research, search the internet, update my knowledge with latest journals etc and I could set up any Onkyo receiver with my eyes shut. I used to read every single receiver manual to know all the features. You get the picture right? In walks this customer and takes a demo. I have spent 4-5 hours on a demo for this guy, done all the hard work to convince him, then he goes away and comes back a week later to our shop (Because our shop was also a library of DVD Region 1 movies) and tell me coolly that he had bought the system I suggested based on his needs at another shop. Why, because he had got it Rs 500/- cheaper say for a Rs 45,000/- system. So tell me where does this leave me as a sales guy cum tech head. Here comes the joke now, he now tells me that his system is not working properly, can I come to his place and set it up for him as it is a free service. So I tell him what about the other dealer from whom he bought it? He says that they delivered it, gave him the phone number for the Onkyo company guy to set it up, and the customer tried it himself and it does not sound as nice as it does in my shop. So soon I was out of a job and from pressures from my manager and I quit. So I am now totally into a different field now. Audio and HT is only a hobby now. I am sorry to say that we as a people usually do not do justice to a person who gives us genuine service.

I hope this presents the other side of the coin.

Vinod

Do go thru this thread, as I do appreciate your input.

Have some of you seen the face of dealers when you mention even the pretty famous brands like Yamaha, Denon etc? Few years back one even suggested me seriously to look in Yamaha Bike Showroom (thats all he had heard of Yamaha). :D

I dont dare to mention the difficult sounding brands and less popular (read pricey). I believe the best brand they know in music is Sony.

Here comes the joke now, he now tells me that his system is not working properly, can I come to his place and set it up for him as it is a free service.

This happens very regularly even now. A customer has to understand that a showroom has been set up to optimise the sound from the systems on demo. The same system will sound differently in a different room/environment. I think it is the responsibility of the dealer to ensure that the client understand this. But then is the question in the dealer's mind - will I lose this customer if I give too much information? Will the client ever understand?

Look at the situation in HFV. Irrespective of the number of threads we have the same requirements thrown up every day. 'I love music and I want a system that decodes all the audio codecs. All my music is in MP3, and I want the best system in the world. I want music to come from all speakers.'

I have realised that it is meaningless to sit in a high pedestal and expect a few users who will appreciate your knowledge and experience. You have to walk a thin line between your arrogance and knowledge and user expectations. We have to understand the reality of human hunger/ambition and the harsher reality of human affordability.

Cheers

It is always up to the buyer to decide what he wants... and for A/V it is very difficult.

There are certain quantitive characteristics such as output, no. of channels, formats etc that can be understood but it is a struggle to understand quality related stuff such as clarity, soundstage etc. (I prefer to segregate them into science and art aspects of A/V).

The most common mistake committed is that one listens to a system somewhere (demo at showroom, friend etc), likes what he heard, buys the same, installs it in his place and is totally disappointed. And for this who is to blame?

Why Delhi you come down to Kolkata and its even worse. None of the dealers can even show the equipment you want to purchase and the Demo Setup is pathetic.......8-((

You have to buy purely on luck and industry reviews.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back