Denon 1513 and Wharfedale MS 100 Speaker

Don't worry too much about speaker placement. What I suggested is for an ideal setup (benefits apparent only on critical listening) but as I mentioned earlier, they are not practically achievable by everyone. Even my surrounds are close to listening position. Doesn't mean that we cannot enjoy the sound. Just sit back and enjoy.

Yeah...guess you are right!!

Damn....the closer I get to getting the speakers in my hands, the more apprehension starts to creep in....would the speakers sound as good as I am thinking they would, would they give me the same satisfaction that I had in the demo room, is the speaker placement ideal, will it sound boxy, will it disappoint....lol...I feel like I am about to sit for an exam :D

Hey Rupam, as you suggested Denon 1513 to me, I am thinking of getting it with MS-100 as it is having standby HDMI pass through means we can enjoy DTH channels in both modes. I am inclined towards Yamaha 373 coz of its very good reviews everywhere but other thing is that Denon AVRs are also very good and people who love Denon's signature sound never search here and there.
Now I want to ask you that hows 1513 so far (only for movies, I am having different 2.0 channel setup for music)?? Did you audition MS--100 with Yamaha AVR?
Thanks in advance.

Hey Rupam, as you suggested Denon 1513 to me, I am thinking of getting it with MS-100 as it is having standby HDMI pass through means we can enjoy DTH channels in both modes. I am inclined towards Yamaha 373 coz of its very good reviews everywhere but other thing is that Denon AVRs are also very good and people who love Denon's signature sound never search here and there.
Now I want to ask you that hows 1513 so far (only for movies, I am having different 2.0 channel setup for music)?? Did you audition MS--100 with Yamaha AVR?
Thanks in advance.

Denon 1513 is more than sufficient for Wharfedale MS 100.
No I have not heard MS 100 with Yamaha because Wharfedale Dealer does not stock them.

I have tested Denon 1513 with CD, flac even with dts music tracks. They sound excellent for the price. The level of clarity and tonal balance is very good. If you are not being over critical then this is a fine entry level amp.
One thing we must keep in mind that, we Indians are very accustomed to listen very bright recordings, thanks to our Bollywood recordings. In Bollywood high pitched female voice is accompanied by lots of cymbals.

So Denon may sound warm to you. But for movies Denon is a remarkable AVR.

NO Rupam, Even I prefer warm sound and have always liked British speakers over Americans for this reason only, My point is just to confirm that ARE YOU SATISFIED WITH 1513s PERFORMANCE AS 5.1 AVR IN MOVIES?? I know that Yamaha makes Mid-range thin whereas Denon has more authority, was curious to know 1513 + MS-100 performance as you are using it from last 2 months. Thanks.

NO Rupam, Even I prefer warm sound and have always liked British speakers over Americans for this reason only, My point is just to confirm that ARE YOU SATISFIED WITH 1513s PERFORMANCE AS 5.1 AVR IN MOVIES?? I know that Yamaha makes Mid-range thin whereas Denon has more authority, was curious to know 1513 + MS-100 performance as you are using it from last 2 months. Thanks.

if intrested then please audition various combos first and then decide.I think Ludhiana has some dealers dealing in such equipments. I am more biased towards wharfedale and boston acoustics. Some says Polk Audio, energy ,tannoy etc.

Ludhiana is dominated by high end Bose, Jamo, Klipsch & Elac or entry level Yamaha, Denon, Onkyo, JBL HTIBs, nothing comes in between here. So it is better to hit the sweet spot from sites like hifi mart after reading expert reviews or by going to Delhi. I even visited Simphony in Chd. 8-sec, they too having Klipsch, JBL only. Getting various Demos in Punjab is difficult. I think its easy in Bangalore, Mumbai, Delhi etc. as tough competition between dealers there. I visited Bass n Treble, Delhi last year for my PM6004, Tannoy V1 & experience there was above satisfactory. Some dealers here simply misguide you.

My room size is 18 by 12 so MS-100 is more than enough & any entry level AVR like 373/1513/522k can do wonders. I want it just for movies.

Ludhiana is dominated by high end Bose, Jamo, Klipsch & Elac or entry level Yamaha, Denon, Onkyo, JBL HTIBs, nothing comes in between here. So it is better to hit the sweet spot from sites like hifi mart after reading expert reviews or by going to Delhi. I even visited Simphony in Chd. 8-sec, they too having Klipsch, JBL only. Getting various Demos in Punjab is difficult. I think its easy in Bangalore, Mumbai, Delhi etc. as tough competition between dealers there. I visited Bass n Treble, Delhi last year for my PM6004, Tannoy V1 & experience there was above satisfactory. Some dealers here simply misguide you.

That's true Sukhi Gill. Even I auditioned at Symphony Chandigarh. Firstly the approach of the dealer is very arrogant and the same thing has been inculcated in his sales boy. Whenever I visited him he always kept telling me arrogantly that how he's the ONLY professional in this market selling these equipments. The approach simply put me off. So after much toughened bargain on price, I got Yamaha RX V473 from melody house sec-35,chd. Although he's a noob but sales guy there is nice. He don't have wharfedale for demo but says he can get them if ordered. In case interested in Yamaha, then we can strike a good deal with him. You can PM for the same.

Dear Sukhi I'm very satisfied with my Wharfedale MS 100. I have listened to other speakers in this range and after 2 weeks of audition I picked up this speaker. For your room size, this will be a perfect match.
I suggest you to buy from hifimart. Although I have bought from local dealer, hifimart is very professional and sincere dealer. I have bought cables from them.
If you want I will post you the optimum setting of speakers. Set them before audition then you can enjoy its full potential.

So kind of you Rupam, rt now my room is under construction & it will take 2 months more, yea it will be very helpful if you can write your settings. I know MS-100 is a great buy & Denon will be perfect match for movies. Hows the FM tuner in 1513?? or I need dedicated tuner for my stereo amplifier? Thanks in advance.

Yes Bpranay, even I didn't like their dealing, Salesman is really arrogant. You know these kind of dealers just take the advantage of monopoly, I was fed up with the lack of real audiophile level showroom here in Pb n Chd. Hopefully, Hifi Mart is there to help us & I am sure we cannot get this price locally. Once I called Prodigi, Delhi to ask the price of Energy RC micro 5.1, the guy said 33k & next day I randomly called local Onkyo dealer, he said 44k. 11K just for the transportation from Delhi to Ldh. So its always better to lead the path in this audiophile & videophile world. Howz Melody house in sec-35, If I am not wrong they are also having 1 outlet in sec-17 main market? I have been there, its an average showroom dealing mainly with Yamaha & Ahuja Radios.

Hey Bpranay, can you tell me Chord company cables dealer in Chd, if any? I want to upgrade my RCA cable with Chord crimson plus. Dealers here saying its difficult to order single wire.

Hi Sukhi,
The authorised dealer for Chrod cables in India is

Advanced Audio Solutions (Bangalore) Private Ltd
Tel: +91 80 65686722
e-mail: [email protected]

Advanced Audio Solutions (Bangalore) Private Ltd
Dynamic House, 64 Church Street
Bangalore

You can call them and ask if they have any distributor in Chandigarh. I wonder why a first class town like Chandigarh does not have dealerships of good international brands. You can also look at QED cables. They are also equally good.

For QED contact

Babbler Group

Babbler Marketing Pvt. Ltd .

CORPORATE OFFICE ADDRESS

#134, Residency Road,
Ground Floor & Basement,
Diagonally Opp To Bangalore Club,
Bangalore-560025

Off : + 91 80 30644600/44/55/66

Fax : 91 - 80 - 41536755 / 30644666

E-mail: [email protected]
[email protected]

Its better to send them a e-mail.

Thanks Rupam for giving the details.. It is really difficult to get these kind of audio accessories here, Punjab & Chd focuses more on the subwoofer in cars & every audiophile here will ask you or your system 1 question for sure - Yaar DHAMAK (SPL) ta paendi ni! / no low-end in your system!. More dhamak more money less dhamak you wasted your money. Actually our Punjabi music is loud so speakers must have the tendency to shake the ground. In home theater systems & in true audiophile sense we are behind. Nobody is at fault. Geeks like us know how to extract the juice within budget. Thanks again.

Hey Bpranay, can you tell me Chord company cables dealer in Chd, if any? I want to upgrade my RCA cable with Chord crimson plus. Dealers here saying its difficult to order single wire.

Unfortunately Symphony Chandigarh is profx dealer and if you want to purchase chord company cables then you can approach him managing his egos and arrogancy.;)

Melody house is an authorised Yamaha dealer in Chandigarh. They have a dedicated demo room in Sec-35 Chandigarh, above Venky's. Sec-17 showroom is dealing with consumer electronics. sec-35 showroom is their dedicated branch for serious listeners like hifi FMs but in low ends. They have mostly Yamaha HTs like 196, 296, 298 and AVRs ranging from 20-70K. Anything above this will have to be ordered. The guys have only Yamaha speakers and subs. Sales guy has recently joined. He was earlier working with Jamo Circuit mall in DT City centre which has been closed now. He is quite helpful.

One more guy has opened his shop in Mohali by the name galaxy hi-fi which is in phase-11. He has Denon AVRs. In speakers he has Polk,magnat and boston acoustics. not sure about chord but he has DAC cables.

Thanks Bpranay for providing me d detail, its good to hear that brands like Boston acoustics are finding their place in Punjab. I asked symphony about chord company last month but they are more keen to sell their unknown german made cables like Draka etc. etc.

Marantz NR1402 and Wharfedale MS 100 Speaker

Hi,

I must say this was a very informative piece. Got to know a lot of stuff about HT systems. I would also like to say that this thread has helped me in making up my mind on which HT to go for.

I am sure after Rupam's review of his system there is no doubt that its one of the best combinations considering all aspects. I had almost made up my mind to go for the same combination but then i thought it would not harm to get a final piece of advice from you experts. I would like to know your expert opinion on the combination that i am going for, which is mentioned below,

"Marantz NR1402 + Wharfedale MS 100"

Bsed on your views i would finalise my purchase. By the way, i am getting this combination for a price of 52k from Hifimart. What are your views on purchasing this stuff online from HifiMart?

Eagerly waiting for your valuable response.

Thanks & Regards,
Gokul

Dear gokul,
First of all thanks. Before finalizing your purchase let me know what will be your main use of speaker and AV receiver. Will you listen to music mostly or watch movies most of the time? or 50:50?
I'm asking this because each brand of AV receivers has specific sound signature, means Denon, Onkyo are better for movie sound and Marantz, Yamaha are ideal for music (but they are not "bad" for movies).

Marantz NR1402 is a very good receiver. But if you prefer to watch movies (specially on blurays or good quality DTS rips) then I suggest you to go for Denon 1713. Its worth that extra buck. What I have experienced , Denon are masters of HT sound. They sound big, bold and powerful.
Let me know your room dimension.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back