Denon 1611 calibration

sbhaumik2010

Hi Gurus,
I recently got Denon 1611 AVR as process of building my HT system. I am using them with old sets of SONY speakers & SONY SA-WM500 sub-woofer from my previous HTIB system. I am confused on the right way to calibrate of my Denon 1611.

If I follow the Denon setup guide then Sub woofer should have 50% gain (volume) and crossover freq set to max before i run Audyssey. But in some forums they have said to set gain to 30%.

Also when i check the crossover frequency after calibration by Audyssey I find that central speaker has 100Hz and front speakers are 40Hz. Should I leave then as it is or change it to 80Hz. Sub-woofer LFE is set to 120 Hz.

Please recommend the best way to calibrate Denon 1611.

You cannot calibrate manually without knowing the complete specs of the speakers.

The safest way to calibrate is by finding out the frequency range of the front L&R and setting the cross over some 20-30 Hz above that. For example, if the front L&R have specs that say 65-20kHz, set the cross over at 80 to 85 Hz, so that the sub takes over before the front reach their lower limit.

The frequency of the centre does not matter for the crossover. The gain of the sub is purely your choice. The best way to do this is to play the test tone of the receiver and ensure all speakers send the same SPL at your sitting position. If you don't have an SPL meter, do it roughly by your ears.

Cheers

I callibrate the system using both Audyssey and manual mode. I found Audyssey to be real good and it determines the types of speaker, distance and frequency range correctly.

I callibrate the system using both Audyssey and manual mode. I found Audyssey to be real good and it determines the types of speaker, distance and frequency range correctly.

I too have recently got 1611.
Anyway, irrespective of which model or brand one has, initially the auto set up sounds good because it gives a set of baseline settings to start with. As you grow on the system, you will start tweaking a setting here and a setting there. And as time goes by, you will realise that the optimum setting is something in between fully automatic and fully manual setups.
In my opinion, yu have started on the right track, but do not hesitate to tweak the settings as and when you feel like.
For example, I too started with audissey, but not have changed my main speakers from "Large" to "Small".

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back