Denon 1909 or 1910? Please help..

KonfuSed

Hi All,
I'm still looking for an AVR for upgrading my Home Theater setup. So initially I was looking for Denon 1610 as the price was less than 30k. And after getting some discounts I found a deal for around 27k. But today I came to know about a deal of Denon 1909 for approx 34k. So if I stretch my budget a bit I can go for it instead or 1610 as 1909 is a much better amp. But at the same time got another offer on 1910 too for 40k.
1. Now, with a difference of around 6-7k does it make sense to go for 1909 or for 1910?
[I'm not very much willing to stretch my again to 40k as I've already stretched it from 27k to 34k. But if the updated version i.e. 1910 is significantly better than I can try.]
2. Also is 34k is a good price for 1909? Or it should be less than that? If anyone has bought this receiver recently can someone share the price?
3. And is there a chance that this might be an showroom piece, I mean one they keep for the auditions? In that case is this a good price and should I go for a demo piece?
Please please answer my questions. I'm little bit konfused now..
Regards,

PS: I've some questions in my mind for Speaker setup too. Should I post it here or shall I create a new thread in the speakers section? Basically I'm planning to buy a pair fronts (most probably Bookshelfs from Wharfedales) and the center speaker only due to budget constraintss. Plan is to get Wharfedale Diamond 9.1(if available) or 10.1 and than later get Floorstanders after 6 months or so. I'll use the current sony speakers for the rear for the time being. Once I get the FS's I'll move the BookShelf speakers to the rear.
About the Sub, I know Wharfe's SW150 is good but the current price quote I got was 22k and I'm not willing to spend that much. This I'll anyway buy later but just wanna know if Sonodyne Roarr 210 matches wharfedale speakers? I've auditioned this sub once I really liked it but it was with full sonodyne setup and the price was quite competitive at 14.5k
Oh my room size is 11.5x18 ft but it's a L shaped living room so another 12x8 size portion is on the left. Viewing distance will be around 15ft.

frmo the reviews i've read (and from no personal experience whatsoever), the 1910 has far superior upscaling because they use the ABT VRS chip used in the Oppos......but the audio is a step back frmo the 1909.

If I use video upscalling of my players only then how will that matter? I mean in that way can I bypass this drawback? I was thinking of the AVR from the audio angle.
And how does 1610 fares against 1909? Or I shouldn't even think about it with the kind of price difference(6-7k only)?

1910 sounds better & more Dynamic than 1909 according to whatshifi.
Secondly upscalor is much better,more connectivity.

But will it worth the difference of 14k ( was planning for 1610 which is there for 27k and 1910 is 41k). I'm already stretching my budget to approx 34k to get the 1909.
Another option is to get it grey market, got a PM from another member who got 1910 in Grey market for 32k and seems to be a great price. But I'm really really worried about buying such costly things from Grey market. I mean taking a risk of 5-7k is ok but 30k+ is a big money. Atleast by my standard. If something goes wrong who will fix it? Certainly not the authorized one's.

BTW, should I post my speaker query in a separate thread?

If the upscaling is not important, go for the 1610.

I would agree with you that buying from the grey market does not give peace of mind. Hence I bought my Denon from ProFX.

If the upscaling is not important, go for the 1610.

I would agree with you that buying from the grey market does not give peace of mind. Hence I bought my Denon from ProFX.
Do you mean to say that 1610 is better than 1909 in audio department? But I read that 1909 is better in audio and it also have more power too. BTW, is this upscalling we are talking about here is the one from the Set-top box for cable reception? Cause for my DVD's I can use the DVD players upscaler itself. Or there is drastic difference between upscalling at 1910 and upscalling at Pio-600AV or PS3 ?

You can get 1910 @ grey market for 36 to 38k.
One forum member has got his for 32k it seems.

If you want a Denon 1910 with bill and warranty you can get it for 37.5k in New Delhi, through profx/kei dealer offcourse. I have got it for a friend of mine at this price.

If you want a Denon 1910 with bill and warranty you can get it for 37.5k in New Delhi, through profx/kei dealer offcourse. I have got it for a friend of mine at this price.
Wow, that's a very tempting price, but will be difficult for me to get it from Delhi :-(

According to experts-Yes & you have the ans of price.
Never knew that 1610 is better than 1909 for audio. If that's the case then I would like to go for 1610 itself. Will be lighter for my pocket too.

Never knew that 1610 is better than 1909 for audio. If that's the case then I would like to go for 1610 itself. Will be lighter for my pocket too.

SQ is again relative mater.1909 have more power than 1610,but Denon 10series is Denons range after compliting 100years.

Hi,

Denon 1910 is definitely better than its predecessor, especially in terms of its upscaling component.

I own a Denon 790, which is same as 1910 and AFAIC, I am happy with its performance.

Cheers!

That 1909 is a demo piece :-(

There is a problem. I asked the dealer today about the 1909 whether it's a sealed package or not and he informed me that it's the demo piece. But what he said is that this was only 2 weeks old ( it's on demo for 2 weeks). I'm not sure that I would like to go for a demo piece of equipment as I'll never know how they might have used it. What should I do? Is it Ok to go for a demo piece?
Also, I don't think that I'll be able to go for the 1910 as of now, 40k seems to be out of budget now as I've some other expenses coming next month. So now the contention is in between the demo 1909 (which now I'm not very comfortable with) and 1610(easy on my pocket too)..

Re: That 1909 is a demo piece :-(

There is a problem. I asked the dealer today about the 1909 whether it's a sealed package or not and he informed me that it's the demo piece. But what he said is that this was only 2 weeks old ( it's on demo for 2 weeks). I'm not sure that I would like to go for a demo piece of equipment as I'll never know how they might have used it. What should I do? Is it Ok to go for a demo piece?
Also, I don't think that I'll be able to go for the 1910 as of now, 40k seems to be out of budget now as I've some other expenses coming next month. So now the contention is in between the demo 1909 (which now I'm not very comfortable with) and 1610(easy on my pocket too)..

if i can remember correctly one of the forum members - venkat had commented that he rated the 10 series (1610-1910) poorly w.r.t to sound quality..you need to search that from his posts..
it was one of the main reasons that I dropped 1910 from my shortlist
i would say 1909 is better, and now that the dealer knows that you know that he has a demo piece which cannot just be a 2 week old (ask him for the month of import/check his stock reg for the serial no if he allows you) you can negotiate a little better for getting it to 20% disc (denon 1909 list price was 40.5k if i remember correctly). as pointed by ashish you can get 1910 for 36-37 with bill.
if you can think of 40k then i would say that u look into marantz 5003/5004 or yam 863 .. both i suppose would be rated better than 1909

Hey Jayad, thanks for the heads up, sent a pm to Venkat for his expert opinion.
So it's ok to buy a Demo piece if I get a good discount? That's probably the reason for selling it for almost 7k less then the list price? So with 20% discount it should be around 32.5k.
Actually spending 40k won;t be easy for now as I;ve mentioned before and hence taking 1910 out of the equation. Now it's either the used/demo 1909 or the new 1610..

Hey Jayad, thanks for the heads up, sent a pm to Venkat for his expert opinion.
So it's ok to buy a Demo piece if I get a good discount? That's probably the reason for selling it for almost 7k less then the list price? So with 20% discount it should be around 32.5k.
Actually spending 40k won;t be easy for now as I;ve mentioned before and hence taking 1910 out of the equation. Now it's either the used/demo 1909 or the new 1610..

10% is usual customer discount for every denon purchase.. upto 13% if u push the dealer..15% is u already have purchased something from him..
all this applies for new products..
for a demo + discontinued model 20% should be the starting point to negotiate..try fixing him up with a fake offer from another dealer..
1909 should anytime be better sounding than the 1610..
1610 would have added some decoders for the latest pro logic/true hd etc, but in the end what matters is what comes out of the avr which makes the speakers better sounding..
demo piece should not be a worry, unless any part is not damaged ( check front and rears thourogly, and all the features and sound modes of the AVR should be demoed before purchasing.. atleast spare a good 2-3 hrs)

Thanks Jayad for the input. I'll be going there tomorrow and check it. I hope I can bargain more (not very good at that though) and get a better price. Will check the 1610 too just for reference.

Re: That 1909 is a demo piece :-(

if i can remember correctly one of the forum members - venkat had commented that he rated the 10 series (1610-1910) poorly w.r.t to sound quality..you need to search that from his posts..
it was one of the main reasons that I dropped 1910 from my shortlist
i would say 1909 is better, and now that the dealer knows that you know that he has a demo piece which cannot just be a 2 week old (ask him for the month of import/check his stock reg for the serial no if he allows you) you can negotiate a little better for getting it to 20% disc (denon 1909 list price was 40.5k if i remember correctly). as pointed by ashish you can get 1910 for 36-37 with bill.
if you can think of 40k then i would say that u look into marantz 5003/5004 or yam 863 .. both i suppose would be rated better than 1909

Hi,

Marantz and Yammy 863 will be costlier than 1909 and 1910.

Cheers

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back