Denon AVR 1311 Vs Yamaha 565 Vs ONKYO 508

007india

Hi All!

I'm planning to buy a Hi-Fi receiver. My preference is it should support all sound formats. i'm least bothered if its 5.1 or 7.1. Also there should be longeity (should work min 5 years without maintenance). based on my expectations I have short listed the following ones. Price is not a factor. Build quality and performance is important. Features and aesthetics comes next.

1) Yamaha 367 - Cheaper than 2,3,4
2) Denon AVR 1311 - expensive to 1
3) Yamaha 565 - expensive than 1,2
4) ONKYO 508 - expensive than 1,2,3

My preferences:
1) Should support variety of sound formats like DTS Neo, True HD
2) Analog to HDMI upscaling/upconversion
3) optional: HDMI 1.4, 7.1 channel.

I hae heard about Yamaha & ONKYO but not about Denon. I don't know about the serviceability of all the 3 in bangalore.

Please guide me on which one to choose. My preference of usage will be more with Rock Music and connections are through HDMI from DVD player to TV/receiver.

Thanks in advance.

I have Onkyo 508, and it's really nice. Plus it has Zone 2.
I chose the Onkyo as it was a 7.1, and a real VFM AVR, for the future. Its also a burr brown dac, which is supposedly more musical.
Also, gradually, more and more Blu rays are coming in 7.1. So, even I'll add a couple of speakers in the future for 'the effect'.
But please have a listen to all, before pulling the trigger.

You say price is not a factor and you choose the most inexpensive entry level units from all brands. Your Location says Tamilnadu, and you seem worried about servicing in Bangalore.

What gives?

Cheers

Yam 565 can be better/powerfull than rest of two.

Thank you frivolus and Kittu. I will choose either Yamaha 565 or ONKYO 508. Please proide your inputs. I omitted Denon 1311 since its labelled as "Made in Chine". Yamaha 367 is not available and it requires firmware update.

Now its between Expensive ONKYO 508 and YAMAHA 565. I have seen YAMAHA good. But not yet auditioned the ONKYO. I have tried them with Magnet floor standing speakers.

I will be in bangalore during weekdays, but in tamilnadu during weekends.

I said 'price is not a factor' among these models alone. Since I want unbiased opinion.

Since you travel mostly between blr and chennai you can audition different combinations @ both locations.

Visit modernworld(onkyo dealer) audition onkyo 508 also try see who is the dealer in chennai for auditioning the same.

Good thing is you get to audition with diff speaker packages.

Trust me it is worth it to spend some quality time on auditions before you make a purchase.

Kittu

what I understand from forum that TN prices are lower ,so keep this in mind....
also Pioneer has some AVRs but I dunno about official availabality.

BTW what is requirement of Firmware upgrade for 367??I mean you can upgrade the decoding to DTS HD-MA or Dolby True HD? Please can you elobrate?

THis is lowest priced yamaha AVR and I am sure after some days will be available foe 14-15 K ,so it is on my radar.

Re: Yamaha 565 Vs ONKYO 508

what I understand from forum that TN prices are lower ,so keep this in mind....
also Pioneer has some AVRs but I dunno about official availabality.

BTW what is requirement of Firmware upgrade for 367??I mean you can upgrade the decoding to DTS HD-MA or Dolby True HD? Please can you elobrate?

THis is lowest priced yamaha AVR and I am sure after some days will be available foe 14-15 K ,so it is on my radar.

Firware upgrade on Yamaha 367 is just meant for enabling 3D and nothing else. Between I auditioned YAMAHA 367 with Magnet floor standing speakers. I'm sorry i'm not satisfied. It lacks so many features that a normal AVR possess. If you are upgrading from computer speaker to AVR with bookshelf speakers, then its worth. It will satisfy much for a beginner. Yamaha 467 is a worth try since it has got all audio decoding inside.

b/w, Guys I want to share one more thing. Don't get carried away by 3D, ARC kind of stuffs since your TV and input source has to support them too to enjoy it. the cost of BD player is also high. In next 3-4 years it may settle and by the time we have lot of Blue ray contents available.

The main thing 1 can expect from a AVR is
- analog video to HDMI upscaling,
- DTS neo sound decoding,
- support even 4ohm speaker (try to use 8ohm stuff).
- Protection circuitry to protect the unit from any mis handling.
- Array of sound decoders onboard.
- 5.1 channel is enough, 7.1 is a misconception.
- Zone 2 out if you have multiple sources
- NOT made in china/thailand
- min 2 years warranty/guarantee
Optional: Support for USB & Ipod (pioneer 819/919)

Kittu: I'm now abroad, I will buy from here. In India, its double the price. yamaha 367 is 9,800Rs here.

Last edited:
Re: Yamaha 565 Vs ONKYO 508

Firware upgrade on Yamaha 367 is just meant for enabling 3D and nothing else. Between I auditioned YAMAHA 367 with Magnet floor standing speakers. I'm sorry i'm not satisfied. It lacks so many features that a normal AVR possess. If you are upgrading from computer speaker to AVR with bookshelf speakers, then its worth. It will satisfy much for a beginner. Yamaha 467 is a worth try since it has got all audio decoding inside.

b/w, Guys I want to share one more thing. Don't get carried away by 3D, ARC kind of stuffs since your TV and input source has to support them too to enjoy it. the cost of BD player is also high. In next 3-4 years it may settle and by the time we have lot of Blue ray contents available.

The main thing 1 can expect from a AVR is
- analog video to HDMI upscaling,
- DTS neo sound decoding,
- support even 4ohm speaker (try to use 8ohm stuff).
- Protection circuitry to protect the unit from any mis handling.
- Array of sound decoders onboard.
- 5.1 channel is enough, 7.1 is a misconception.
- Zone 2 out if you have multiple sources
- NOT made in china/thailand
- min 2 years warranty/guarantee
Optional: Support for USB & Ipod (pioneer 819/919)

Kittu: I'm now abroad, I will buy from here. In India, its double the price. yamaha 367 is 9,800Rs here.

Hello Bond,

I hope you are making the right selection, your requirements and what you are planning to buy dont seem to sync -

1. Your preference is rock music - Why dont you go for a 2 channel amp, with a pre-power combination,

2. Choice of speakers to be used are not known, it is important to know what speakers are you going to be pairing with the Amp

3. You are looking for warrantly and local service and now you have decided to buy the AVR outside India, i hope you are getting one with a global warranty

4. Made in China, today most of the electronics you buy are made in China, so what is the issue if it is made in China?

7. 7.1 is not a misconception, - it does work, may be you need to audition with the right equipments

Btw, there is nothing to be carried away with 3D, if you need something of current technology, you will go for it. I have a 3D LED, BD 3D player and it is amazing, you will just love it. Who wants to wait until the technology is old enough and probably phasing out, for the price to change. Go for it when it is the craze.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back