Denon AVR-X2400H goes into protection mode

apsk121

My HT setup consists of a Denon AVR-X2400H paired with Elac F5 floor standing speakers, and 2x2 Elac B5 bookshelves for the surrounds and rear speakers with an Elac S10 Subwoofer.

I've been pretty happy with the output so far, however there is one problem.

Sometimes when I'm watching an action sequence scene with lots of loud sound effects at a relatively high volume, my receiver goes into protection mode with the status light blinking rapidly. I've seen this happen twice when I was watching Mad Max (the chase sequence with a lot of drums, music, cars, etc).

This does not happen to often, but has happened more than a couple of times and has me worried. More often than not the whole setup runs fine without any issues whatsoever.

What could be the problem? I've checked all speaker wires, terminals, etc. and everything seems fine.

I mostly run the receiver in eco mode, and suspect that might be the issue as I've not been able to reproduce it with ECO mode off. Also, can slight voltage hiccups be the culprit?

Looking forward to your help. Thank you. :)

I mostly run the receiver in eco mode, and suspect that might be the issue as I've not been able to reproduce it with ECO mode off. Also, can slight voltage hiccups be the culprit?

There was on article from audioholics where the reviewer had mentioned not to use the ECO mode on Denon AVR specifically as it limits the power delivery.. I think this may be causing the issue you are facing..

So best to disable the ECO mode..

My HT setup consists of a Denon AVR-X2400H paired with Elac F5 floor standing speakers, and 2x2 Elac B5 bookshelves for the surrounds and rear speakers with an Elac S10 Subwoofer.

I've been pretty happy with the output so far, however there is one problem.

Sometimes when I'm watching an action sequence scene with lots of loud sound effects at a relatively high volume, my receiver goes into protection mode with the status light blinking rapidly. I've seen this happen twice when I was watching Mad Max (the chase sequence with a lot of drums, music, cars, etc).

This does not happen to often, but has happened more than a couple of times and has me worried. More often than not the whole setup runs fine without any issues whatsoever.

What could be the problem? I've checked all speaker wires, terminals, etc. and everything seems fine.

I got the avrx23000 & i have ECO mode switched OFF. I advice you to do the same as thats the default settings. Also did you update your avr firmware by any chance? if yes was it an online update?

Cheers.

I got the avrx23000 & i have ECO mode switched OFF. I advice you to do the same as thats the default settings. Also did you update your avr firmware by any chance? if yes was it an online update?

Cheers.
I did update my firmware after I got the system set up - around 20 days ago. The update process went fine and there were no problems.

it looks like the avr is getting heated up and going into protection mode. pl look at the ventilation of the avr also.

it looks like the avr is getting heated up and going into protection mode. pl look at the ventilation of the avr also.
Any way to check if it is heating up? It sits on top of a table with nothing next to it or above it, and atleast 18 inches of space behind it too.
Wouldn't think heat is the issue because it doesn't feel to hot to touch on the top too.

Any way to check if it is heating up? It sits on top of a table with nothing next to it or above it, and atleast 18 inches of space behind it too.
Wouldn't think heat is the issue because it doesn't feel to hot to touch on the top too.
i dont heating is the case based on what you have indicated.

There was on article from audioholics where the reviewer had mentioned not to use the ECO mode on Denon AVR specifically as it limits the power delivery.. I think this may be causing the issue you are facing..

So best to disable the ECO mode..

Here is what audioholics had to say on Denon Eco mode..

Eco Mode - Avoid like the Plague!
As much as I am in favor of conserving resources and reducing my carbon footprint on this planet, running Eco mode on your AV receiver isn't going to slow the rising ocean levels or lower the acidity of our oceans. Instead, it's going to starve your speakers of power. With Eco mode engaged, it limited power on the bench to 20 watts/ch no matter how many channels were driven. This is worse than the dreaded 4-ohm impedance switch many receiver companies are using today. Make triple sure you NEVER set this receiver to Eco if you plan on using the internal amplifiers. I'd go so far as to omit the button from the remote control in case someone accidentally hits it and engages that mode.

Here is the link to that page - https://www.audioholics.com/av-receiver-reviews/denon-avr-x3300w-1/menu

Though the review is abt Denon x 3300, the ECO mode function should hold good for all models..

I did update my firmware after I got the system set up - around 20 days ago. The update process went fine and there were no problems.
If it doesn't happen with ECO mode switched OFF then why bother? No one uses ECO anyways.

Eco mode should be the prime culprit just turn it off.

If it's still happening then check the ohms of your speakers and sensitivity too.

I did check on the ohms it's 6 ohms and with a sensityvity of 85.5 db that means it's one of the power hungry speakers so your denon at 8 ohms is not able to give the power needed at demanding situations to a 6ohm load speakers.

Absolutely you should not be using ECO mode. If the problem persist you have to take pre out from your receiver and add a power amp for LCR or change to higher /better receiver.

May be as a last resort you can call in denon service if your unit is in warranty.

R. Balagopalan

Yes agree with the above Eco Mode suggestions. Just ignore the mode and let the receiver run on all its cylinders. The heat generated might increase a bit compared to eco mode, so just take care that there is ample ventilation around the receiver. Also a good time to recheck on all speaker cable connections at the back to make sure there are no lose strands.

Another thing you can check are the Speaker levels set in the receiver. Did you do the setup manually or via auto setup? Too high a gain can also trip the receiver at high volumes as it starts to run out of breadth.

MaSh

Those are some power hungry speakers for that receiver. 85db sensitivity is trying on that receiver especially playing loud. How loud do you play?

Those are some power hungry speakers for that receiver. 85db sensitivity is trying on that receiver especially playing loud. How loud do you play?
I have the volume setting scale on 0-100. I usually play at about 70-75. I thought the AVR-X2400H had more than enough juice to power these speakers...

I have the volume setting scale on 0-100. I usually play at about 70-75. I thought the AVR-X2400H had more than enough juice to power these speakers...

Take it from me Marant, Yamaha, Denon and onkyo what they specify as RMS is not true RMS values on continuos. (Google you have wealth of information on the actual power of these amps. 140 watts Yamaha was delivering 37 watts, all these study I did in 2011) In my experience Arcam and Anthem are true power. The highest receiver of Anthem selling for 3.5 lakhs is only 110Watts.

Can you believe 70wattz MRX 300 of Anthem will simply blow away 150 watts afore said 4 brands.

@apsk121 - I own denon 2300 and have faced the same situation once or twice. I diagnosed it as voltage fluctuation or lack of ventilation, added an AC to the room and a UPS to the amp and after that never seen the issue. However from the discussion here, I think the culprit was the eco mode which my receiver is still set at. I run the volume at 63.5 in eco mode and I guess I may have to change it back to normal mode now... Anyway it was an informative thread

Thanks for the information everyone. Each of you has been very helpful.
As a last measure, I'll consider adding a UPS to the setup. Any recommendations for my setup?

Will post back if/when I face the problem again. Last night I had Avatar running with ECO mode off and at a considerably high volume. Did not face any issues.

Also, can slight voltage hiccups be the culprit?

I live in rural area & use Denon x 3300.. Voltage during summer, drops to a low 150 - 160V, while the operating voltage of the AVR is 200 ~ 240V.. It works till 180V or so without hiccups.. But when it drops to 150V, the AVR trips & restarts itself.. This happened to me many times last year..

One on my friend suggested using a double booster for AVR, usually used with Air conditioner here.. From that day it works like charm without tripping (or) restarting..

i wouldn't use loud volumes with ECO mode "ON" as that will result in clipping from the avr,
which can damage ur speakers big time.

i would use loud volumes with ECO mode "ON" as that will result in clipping from the avr,
which can damage ur speakers big time.
Did not quite understand, are you saying ECO mode should be ON or OFF?
Because you said it will result in clipping which can damage speakers...

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back