DENON Owners thread

Hello everyone, its been a while since I have posted as I have been away from the Hifi scene lately. But back on track slowly and getting the Q Acoustics 3030i for the fronts replacing the 3020s. I am wondering what would be a sensible upgrade from 2400H Denon ? A model that can perform well for both movies and music. Thanks in advance.

Some of the reviews seem to indicate that it can muster about 130 watts per channel in 5 channel config and 100 watts in 7 channel.
But my concern is also that Denon has not provided any power figures for 4ohm load.
Unless the review publishes measured output at the speaker terminal, I will not believe what they report.
If it does measure, then great.
Denon states 150 watts@8ohms under 2 channels so I am not sure how 100 watts is possible with 7 channel drive.
If Denon have not published 4ohm specifications, it does not support that. As simple as that. You can write to them and ask.

I am wondering what would be a sensible upgrade from 2400H Denon ?
Within the same series (2700H), it doesn't make much sense to upgrade. 2400H/2700H are pretty similar on the audio front, except the latter supports eARC/HDR10+/8K. That said, anything in the 4XXXH series will be a worthy upgrade; you will get more power, a higher version of Audyssey, Pre-Outs, and superior Components.

Am surprised that they stuck to an old EI transformer for something so expensive!
Its a Sound United decision, they have kept the Toroidal transformer for the Marantz 8XXX avrs.
Still the Denon X8500 is a very powerful avr in it's own right.

But my concern is also that Denon has not provided any power figures for 4ohm load.
It should be fine for 4ohms loads but if the speakers dip below that which most do, while playing music loud & the Speaker set to "Large" (Full Range) then it might go into protection mode. If it does then an External Power amp for the fronts will solve your issue.

Hello everyone, its been a while since I have posted as I have been away from the Hifi scene lately. But back on track slowly and getting the Q Acoustics 3030i for the fronts replacing the 3020s. I am wondering what would be a sensible upgrade from 2400H Denon ? A model that can perform well for both movies and music. Thanks in advance.

If you are too used to Denon SQ then perhaps maybe you can try Yamaha Aventage series or Marantz SR6015?

Within the same series (2700H), it doesn't make much sense to upgrade. 2400H/2700H are pretty similar on the audio front, except the latter supports eARC/HDR10+/8K. That said, anything in the 4XXXH series will be a worthy upgrade; you will get more power, a higher version of Audyssey, Pre-Outs, and superior Components.
Great- I guess I can give it a look. Also I read there is not much of a different between 3700h and 4700h except for the higher power output, some ports etc. Do you think 3700H will be better buy assuming it carries the same chip/ components as 4700H? I thought I will pick that up given the lesser price.

If you are too used to Denon SQ then perhaps maybe you can try Yamaha Aventage series or Marantz SR6015?
Thanks for the suggestion efernand. I guess I have grown to like the SQ of Denon after moving from Yamaha in the past. I guess SR6015 would match the 3700H in terms of spec and capabilities?

Great- I guess I can give it a look. Also I read there is not much of a different between 3700h and 4700h except for the higher power output, some ports etc. Do you think 3700H will be better buy assuming it carries the same chip/ components as 4700H? I thought I will pick that up given the lesser price.
If the price difference is more than 25/30K, pick 3700H.

Yet to gather dealer pricing but online prices seem to have a difference of roughly 20-25K between the models.
The 4xxx series offers independent control of the dual-sub; it's a pretty handy feature. I can't remember on the top of my mind if 3xxx offers this feature. If you intend to go with dual sub, this is something you should keep in your 'To-Do' list.

Thanks for the suggestion efernand. I guess I have grown to like the SQ of Denon after moving from Yamaha in the past. I guess SR6015 would match the 3700H in terms of spec and capabilities?

I think it should. Good SQ for both movies and music.

For Denon owners who have run their Audyssey setup, do you find that the center channel gain is set too low by the calibration set up?

I ask, as I have had to dial the gain a lot higher than the front main speakers, else dialog is barely audible. The front row of B&W speakers are from the same series or family so are power and impedance matched.

Also; for those who run a dedicated external power amplifier, do the same channel level controls (on the remote) affect the pre out put levels?

For Denon owners who have run their Audyssey setup, do you find that the center channel gain is set too low by the calibration set up?

I ask, as I have had to dial the gain a lot higher than the front main speakers, else dialog is barely audible. The front row of B&W speakers are from the same series or family so are power and impedance matched.

Also; for those who run a dedicated external power amplifier, do the same channel level controls (on the remote) affect the pre out put levels?
I do find the center channel low as set by Audyssey but on the Marantz. Had to keep it at 0.5 db level which is much higher than the fronts.

It also depends on the speakers. When I had Dali vocal audysey sets the gain to -5 or -6 dB. Now I use a xtz Center and it sets it to -10 or -9db.

Okay. Thanks.
My mains are set to -6dB (By calibration) and center channel at -2dB (set manually). Anything >-2dB and dialog is lost.
Its a bit strange cause the center speakers you folks use or have used have a lower sensitivity rating so I'd expect you to struggle with gain more than me.
My center channel is rated at 91dB, lab measurement. I guess I am dealing with a krapp receiver amplifier section.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back