DENON Owners thread

Ideally, the distance to the seating positions matters and now how far the speakers are from the receiver. You would be placing the mic at seating positions and not on the receiver. Try to have all speakers equidistant from seating positions so that their levels are more or less similar.

MaSh
ok

Hi all.
Recently bought Denon4700. It is giving slight problem. It is presently connected to a 5.0.4 setup as of now.
In stereo mode, it's working fine. However, when connected to a TV, it is switching off in around 20-30 minutes. It's getting a bit hot as well. Through the rack is well open and ventilated.
Tried using a stabilizer. And played with AC flow directed towards it, but still shuts down.

Any inputs on this, before I take it to service centre.

Hi all.
Recently bought Denon4700. It is giving slight problem. It is presently connected to a 5.0.4 setup as of now.
In stereo mode, it's working fine. However, when connected to a TV, it is switching off in around 20-30 minutes. It's getting a bit hot as well. Through the rack is well open and ventilated.
Tried using a stabilizer. And played with AC flow directed towards it, but still shuts down.

Please check the earthing .it must be weak.
Most probably the plug which you are using now lacks neutral earthing line

Last edited:
Hi all.

I've x4700h. It gets a little warm, but not too hot to touch. I run a laptop cooler (multifan.. sucking hot air out of it, instead of pushing in it. ).
BTW, do you get any error codes/ blinking lights etc? Check those too.

Hi all.

In stereo mode does it run more then 30 minutes? You are implying that when Tv is in the chain the avr gets to hot and shuts down in 20-30 minutes. You can verify this Way. First watch something in the tv and have a timer running. Note down the time when the avr shuts down. Now shut down everything and once avr cools down do the same but once the content starts unplug the tv from the socket.

In stereo mode does it run more then 30 minutes? You are implying that when Tv is in the chain the avr gets to hot and shuts down in 20-30 minutes. You can verify this Way. First watch something in the tv and have a timer running. Note down the time when the avr shuts down. Now shut down everything and once avr cools down do the same but once the content starts unplug the tv from the socket.
In that case, this troubleshooting should be done by Masimo, no?

In stereo mode, never faced this issue. Have used for one to one and half hours continuously, without any issues.
But with TV on..it has always shut down in 20-30 minutes. And feels hotter than in stereo mode.
No error codes. It just shuts down. Had once switched on again after a few minutes, but it again shut down in 5_10 minutes. Never faced this with TV off, in pure stereo mode.

In stereo mode, never faced this issue. Have used for one to one and half hours continuously, without any issues.
But with TV on..it has always shut down in 20-30 minutes. And feels hotter than in stereo mode.
No error codes. It just shuts down. Had once switched on again after a few minutes, but it again shut down in 5_10 minutes. Never faced this with TV off, in pure stereo mode.
I am also having a weird humming and buzzing issue with the Tv on. Must be some issue with the TV power supply board in my case. I initially suspected cables, sockets, shield or the avr. Never suspected the tv and kept swapping and removing other gears. For some reasons I removed the tv and the sound went away. So later I tested again with multiple combinations and the tv makes everything buzz. I even checked by plugging the tv alone to vertex. Guess what it even made my vertex buzz and hum.

What is the TV source? TV app or something external? Is there a gain setting in the TV? Lastly, can you down sample the receiver to Stereo while using the TV and see if it still shuts down?

MaSh

And played with AC flow directed towards it, but still shuts down.
This is a bad idea. The moment the draft of cold air stops, the circuits will have condensation form on it (due to rising heat). If this happens, you can say goodbye to your new AV receiver. Even warranty won't cover for such damage as they will see it as water damage, even though you did not pour any into the unit.

Also; I do not recommend using any form of external active cooling. Av receivers will generate heat in-use. Most are Class A/B designs after all. They are designed to operate like that. The increase in heat is to be expected when you drive more speakers. The amplifier needs to push more current. As long as sufficient ventilation is provided around (even under) the unit, you're all good. Forced cooling is applied only when you mount in a AV rack, as done in professional installations, when the unit is hidden out of view for aesthetic purposes.

As its under warranty, don't fiddle with it. Ask the dealer to sort it out. You did not give them 200K towards their business for nothing. Its their headache. Not yours.

Hi all.

Ex- denon owner here!
When you say connected to TV, do you mean, your AVR source is set to TV audio? Is it playing multi-channel audio - is your TV set to pass-through audio to denon?
Check the power supply to see any over/under voltage issues. If voltage is within norms, power draw by the 9 channels could probably be more than the unit can handle, so try reducing the volume when on multi-channel audio and see how the unit behaves. If the protection mode occurs after a longer interval - it is a power draw problem. If the interval is same as before, check all speaker wiring and eliminate any issues - poor contact with terminals, loose terminals, stray strands etc.

Recently bought Denon4700.

Hi
Thanks to all for your inputs
Got it rectified through the service dealer
All fine now
It was getting heated a lot earlier, and hence shutting down

Hi all.
Have you considered a sub woofer in the chain? Maybe after a subwoofer installation this overheating problem gets sorted out. Not sure about AVR but subwoofer protects the speakers.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back