Design Classics

A small cross-section of the variety and skill the Japanese possess when it comes to knife making. Both have the suminagashi or damascus pattern, and are made with VG10 and Shirogami steels, both very high quality steels. I have a couple of humbler knives that are not so expensive but are made from the same steels - it is an utter joy to work with quality Japanese knives.

It is also ironic that the Damascus style steel was supposedly first mastered by steelsmiths in South India thousands of years ago, but we lost or forgot the art with the ravages of time. It is still incredibly hard to get a true Damascus pattern on steel (as opposed to just etching it) and until very recently, no one in the world knew how to do this after the craft died in South India. Some say that it is because the ore itself was special in those parts, or perhaps the secrets got lost over time - no one will know for sure.

masakagekumo-family-big.jpg

Masakageshimo-family-big.jpg

Last edited:
@ Denom : I like Beetle too. 1300 in particular. And remember Mig-21 has won us few battles. I like the design. Yes Spitfire is a classic too. thanks
1429481.jpg

@ Santhosh : Nice Muscle Cars. You forgot Hummer. A classic. :D
@ Coaltrain : I would not say I hate Kenny G as I believe all music has its place. But I dont listen to it. I only guessed in that post:p. Broadly speaking I think music relaxes the listener. Yeah Common man :thumbsup: is a classic and known by everyone. I like Mario Miranda and Ajit Ninan work. Some of Mario's characters are famous.
Regards :)

Hey MIG 21 is from my city (HAL):D

Regards,
Sachin

Fantastic examples!

Seeing that most American classics have been covered, I thought this would complete the line-up:

1968_Dodge_Charger_Hemi.jpg

Also, I am quite partial to the 1953 original version of this legend:

album-chevrolet-corvette-1953-big.jpg

Not being a fan of most 'concept' designs did not stop me from being smitten by the design of the Holden Efijy. It's quite a fetching interpretation of Holden's dumpy FJ from the 50s.

holden-efijy_fs11.jpg

Holden-EFIJY-Concept-005.jpg

@Santhosh: Thanks for reminding me of the Karmann Ghia. I cannot think anything better than Italian design flair and German reliability in a single package. I could be happy driving just this one car all my life and not think of anything else. The other car that I think of in the same way is the Boxster.

2013-porsche-boxster-and-boxster-s.jpg

It is also ironic that the Damascus style steel was supposedly first mastered by steelsmiths in South India thousands of years ago, but we lost or forgot the art with the ravages of time. It is still incredibly hard to get a true Damascus pattern on steel (as opposed to just etching it)...
Wonderful knives in those pictures!

I believe that the finish is the result of the manufacturing process in which the steel is folded many times, resulting in the "solid" blade actually being composed of fine, fused laminates.

Samurai Tanto

31QGGXJXYGL._SS500_.jpg

The Deadly Katana Sword ( My fav sword)

Katana.jpg

Various Shuriken's

shuriken-copm_sheet.jpg

Denom ...
'The Deadly Katana Sword ( My fav sword)'

Have it in your collection .....? :p

Yes ;)
Will show it to you next time BUT do not ask me to remove it from its scabbard else blood will HAVE to be shed as per samurai folklore
:cool:

It is also ironic that the Damascus style steel was supposedly first mastered by steelsmiths in South India thousands of years ago, but we lost or forgot the art with the ravages of time. It is still incredibly hard to get a true Damascus pattern on steel (as opposed to just etching it) and until very recently, no one in the world knew how to do this after the craft died in South India. Some say that it is because the ore itself was special in those parts, or perhaps the secrets got lost over time - no one will know for sure.

Damscus steel IS Indian steel. Like Arabic numerals are Indian numerals.
The Iron pillar at Delhi is a standing testimony to Indian Expertise in steel. Until 18th century the steel produced in the factories of Europe was not comparable to the ones made in India. Guess the two sunrise industries of the Industrial revolution in Britan? Textiles and Steel... :eek:hyeah: Both the Industries that were the mainstay of Indian manufacturing excellence for more than a 1000 years. The Brits systematically destroyed Indian manufacturing industry and transplanted them to their shores. Forget all delusions of fair competition

--G0bble

Seeing some fancy Ferraris and Lamborghinis gives me a different perspective to design - their sound track!

It is impossible to not be moved by the bassy roar of, say a Ferrari at gentle blip, the metallic pandemonium at take off like some engine parts are threatening to break free, and the banshee wail at full chat. Like live versus recorded audio, this is best experienced live at close quarters.

Though small in cubic inches, the Yamaha RX100 has a very impressive sound track as well. The angry wail as it tries to make rapid forward progress in second gear can send gentle shivers down the spines of rider as well as passers-by. By contrast, the RD 350 has a more mature sound track. It is best heard from a long distance, preferably in the hills, separated by a small valley. It is impossible to mistake the sound tracks of either bike for that of any other. Alas, modern bikes have very feeble sound unless one progresses fairly high up the engine displacement chart. Even Bullets have fallen prey to noise legislations and are the worse for it in terms of the all important macho quotient.

Seeing some fancy Ferraris and Lamborghinis gives me a different perspective to design - their sound track!

It is impossible to not be moved by the bassy roar of, say a Ferrari at gentle blip, the metallic pandemonium at take off like some engine parts are threatening to break free, and the banshee wail at full chat. Like live versus recorded audio, this is best experienced live at close quarters...

Absolutely. One of the best sounds I ever heard was from this Ferrari 365 in a supercar show in a small town. It was pure magic to hear each cylinder of it's Colombo carburetted V12 exploding into life and join together in a mechanical symphony that reverberated off the surrounding buildings. Needless to say I spent most of the day walking up to each car, taking multiple pictures and recording the sounds when they started up. Till that day, I never knew that a Murcielago could sound subdued and commuter-ish compared to a 40-year old Ferrari. Maybe I should wait till I get lucky enough to hear a Mirua's engine in full-tilt...

Attachments

• 365.jpg
    365.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 49
Trends: Taking Down the Chrysler Building | EW.com This is what I meant.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Smith and Wesson .44 magnum.
s&w29two.jpg

My BEST BUDDY has this gun, and he says it is faster than a sword.
Just kidding bros, just kidding. :D
Regards

Chk this

Dirty Harry - Sudden Impact - Smith,Wesson and Me (ITA ENG) - YouTube

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HSKafLfI2pg?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Harry: "Well, we're not just gonna let you walk out of here?"
Robber: "Who's we sucker?"
Harry: "Smith and Wesson and me."

Somehow, I think there is a difference between a classic design and a classic product. Many of the items here may rank as classic products, but (IMHO ;) ) not as classic designs.

What's the difference? Open to discussion! But a classic design should be something that one can find in the unconcious minds of people all over the world. The Coke bottle, the Heinz Beens tin, maybe, but not something that is simply great to a limited number of enthusiasts.

Thus, I'd rate the Mini over the E-type.

Wait... No I wouldn't: the E-type was the quinessential sports car!

Take it easy Thad :D

Like audio, classic's discussed here are also subjective, the 'one mans meat ....' well you get the point ;)

Enjoy the thread & see what the others think as 'classic designs'

:)

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back