Design Classics

Even the thump from the Royal Enfield Bullet has its own charm...

As a kid all I wanted to do was ride my father's Bullet.

bullet+uce.jpg

@ Hemantbhai : Already posted Dirty Harry Video. Click 'Best Buddy'. :)
@ Thad : Though I have posted some popular products, 'Design Classic" for me is anything designed well, have enduring quality, have set a bench mark for others to follow. Form should follow function. Designer of Jaguar E type never had in his mind that it should look beautiful, He was aiming to reduce drag I think.
Regards

Last edited:
2 Toy Guns I used to play with regularly as a young boy obsessed with guns :lol:

Mauser 80SA

Mauser%2080SA%20blue.jpg

M16

echo1_m16_a4_lrg.jpg

The Bike which started the passion for bikes

Indian_motorcycle_logo.png

Indian Chief
8318.jpg

Besides the RD350 & RX100, this Yammie is the BEST in my mind

04_vmax_main.jpg

The madman/hooligan/hell bent for leather types bike!

Damscus steel IS Indian steel. Like Arabic numerals are Indian numerals.
The Iron pillar at Delhi is a standing testimony to Indian Expertise in steel. Until 18th century the steel produced in the factories of Europe was not comparable to the ones made in India. Guess the two sunrise industries of the Industrial revolution in Britan? Textiles and Steel... :eek:hyeah: Both the Industries that were the mainstay of Indian manufacturing excellence for more than a 1000 years. The Brits systematically destroyed Indian manufacturing industry and transplanted them to their shores. Forget all delusions of fair competition

--G0bble

The history of how this art died is, IMHO, more complicated, and will probably remain a mystery. Here's a excerpt from an article about Damascus or Wootz steel, "Unfortunately, the technique of producing wootz Damascus steel blades is a lost art. The date of the last blades produced with the highest-quality damascene patterns is uncertain, but is probably around 1750; it is unlikely that blades displaying low-quality damascene patterns were produced later than the early 19th century"

Source: The Key Role of Impurities in Ancient Damascus Steel Blades

At least from the article, it looks like the art died or was dying before the British established themselves in India, so at least in this example, I don't think we can directly attribute the East India Company as the main cause of decline. In any case, the various crafts and skills in India were supported by a fairly fragile ecosystem (patronage of the king), and most of the secrets would only be passed on by word of mouth making them even more susceptible to getting lost or forgotten.

Thad, to my limited knowledge, the Japanese technique of folding or layering steel is actually a "workaround" to mimic the same effect as a true Damascus steel. (Of course, the technique of folding steel itself results an extremely strong and hard blade, but that's a different matter). They say that European ironsmiths tried replicating Damascus steel for hundreds of years and failed. They finally attributed Damascus patterning to a combination of making the steel in a very specific way, and certain impurities that were carefully added in minute quantities (or were inherently present in certain ores) that reacted to the steel at a nano level causing the patterns to get etched on the surface of the steel.

Seeing some fancy Ferraris and Lamborghinis gives me a different perspective to design - their sound track!

It is impossible to not be moved by the bassy roar of, say a Ferrari at gentle blip, the metallic pandemonium at take off like some engine parts are threatening to break free, and the banshee wail at full chat. Like live versus recorded audio, this is best experienced live at close quarters.

Though small in cubic inches, the Yamaha RX100 has a very impressive sound track as well. The angry wail as it tries to make rapid forward progress in second gear can send gentle shivers down the spines of rider as well as passers-by. By contrast, the RD 350 has a more mature sound track. It is best heard from a long distance, preferably in the hills, separated by a small valley. It is impossible to mistake the sound tracks of either bike for that of any other. Alas, modern bikes have very feeble sound unless one progresses fairly high up the engine displacement chart. Even Bullets have fallen prey to noise legislations and are the worse for it in terms of the all important macho quotient.

+1, completely agree I used to own a Yamaha RX100 1989 model(now stolen).Fiat and Yamaha are my favorite Automobile brands.

Regards,
Sachin

+1, completely agree I used to own a Yamaha RX100 1989 model(now stolen)

I used to own an '88. Red. Always lusted for a RD 350 but never got round to owning one. My heart still skips a beat when I see one in fine condition:)

The history of how this art died is, IMHO, more complicated, and will probably remain a mystery. Here's a excerpt from an article about Damascus or Wootz steel, "Unfortunately, the technique of producing wootz Damascus steel blades is a lost art. The date of the last blades produced with the highest-quality damascene patterns is uncertain, but is probably around 1750; it is unlikely that blades displaying low-quality damascene patterns were produced later than the early 19th century"

Source: The Key Role of Impurities in Ancient Damascus Steel Blades

At least from the article, it looks like the art died or was dying before the British established themselves in India, so at least in this example, I don't think we can directly attribute the East India Company as the main cause of decline. In any case, the various crafts and skills in India were supported by a fairly fragile ecosystem (patronage of the king), and most of the secrets would only be passed on by word of mouth making them even more susceptible to getting lost or forgotten.

Thad, to my limited knowledge, the Japanese technique of folding or layering steel is actually a "workaround" to mimic the same effect as a true Damascus steel. (Of course, the technique of folding steel itself results an extremely strong and hard blade, but that's a different matter). They say that European ironsmiths tried replicating Damascus steel for hundreds of years and failed. They finally attributed Damascus patterning to a combination of making the steel in a very specific way, and certain impurities that were carefully added in minute quantities (or were inherently present in certain ores) that reacted to the steel at a nano level causing the patterns to get etched on the surface of the steel.

Possible. I wasn't talking about Wootz specifically when I referred to the EIC but the expertise in iron industries as a whole.
The rust-proof Iron pillar incidentally has been postulated to have a nano technology coating of phosphorus that protects it from moisture or something. OT but even kajal used for eyelashes as prepared using the original age old method in India reputedly has nano crystals.

--g0bble

Always lusted for a RD 350 but never got round to owning one. My heart still skips a beat when I see one in fine condition:)

Like this one Josh :)? This was my 1st RD .... now with a dear friend. Shot this today at the garage. My current RD though in original condition is nowhere close to this one.

2E63EF6B-038D-4F28-B103-02D9C0B98948-166-000000356A00D858.jpg

95A2739A-8F2A-4283-A4A8-CC8D127DD69E-166-0000003576006B0B.jpg

Though small in cubic inches, the Yamaha RX100 has a very impressive sound track as well. The angry wail as it tries to make rapid forward progress in second gear can send gentle shivers down the spines of rider as well as passers-by. By contrast, the RD 350 has a more mature sound track. It is best heard from a long distance, preferably in the hills, separated by a small valley. It is impossible to mistake the sound tracks of either bike for that of any other.

Now you got me real nostalgic man. What do you have to say about the roar of Jawa and Yezdi.

Inevitable nostalgic ramble: I upgraded to RX from the puny '86 model TVS 50 right after my commission, in '88. None of these bikes lasted more than two years and I moved on to Kawasaki KB100 in 1990 and then to RD in 1992 and never looked back for 16 long years. I used to scoff at the oldie bikes like Yezdi and Bullet, until I broke my wrist in 1995 and went back home. My wrist being in plaster, I couldn't ride dad's LML and bartered it with a friend's Yezdi. That's when I realised the true virtues of Yezdi; for example, it was a girl magnet akin to the Axe effect:p. The way it just used to glide over the potholes unlike my RX/RTZ/RD was so amazing.

I did ride the Enfield a few times and found, that it had it's own sex appeal.

Thad,
Agree with Hiten.

For Eg: The Victorinox Swiss Army Knife is a fantastic design of a product and a very well engineered one at that. I am yet to come across another scissor (even brands like Fiskars who specialize in scissors) that cuts paper or even leather the way the little scissor in the Victorinox can. Same with the little knife, it's edge is so sharp that if you accidentally cut yourself, you will not realize it until you see yourself bleeding. And these are just two of the several functions that the knife can be used for :).

Still possess THE Victorinox whose smaller blade had sliced into my forefinger as a 10 year old. It was a clean cut to the bone, happened when I was trying to pull out that blade from its hatch. I had to be rushed to the doctor as it was proving futile to try stop the gush of blood from the open wound. Show the 'red devil' to my kids and tell its infamous history off and on.

Thad,
Agree with Hiten.

For Eg: The Victorinox Swiss Army Knife is a fantastic design of a product and a very well engineered one at that. I am yet to come across another scissor (even brands like Fiskars who specialize in scissors) that cuts paper or even leather the way the little scissor in the Victorinox can. Same with the little knife, it's edge is so sharp that if you accidentally cut yourself, you will not realize it until you see yourself bleeding. And these are just two of the several functions that the knife can be used for :).

The Leatherman is worth mentioning in this category as well. While it doesn't have the vintage of a swiss army knife, it has an iconic design, is very well built, and is very versatile too.

800px-Leatherman_Surge.jpg

800px-Leatherman_both.jpg

I have a very similar little leatherman in the left of pic lying around since years - its less than 3" long if I remember. Perhaps an even better looking one ...
What makes it a classic? Looks nice for sure, but does it deserve a classic tag?

Reminds me of what Thad posted earlier - great product but is it a timeless classic that goes beyond its value and utility in terms of aesthetics?

--G0bble

Last edited:
Reminds me of what Thad posted earlier - great product but is it a timeless classic that goes beyond its value and utility in terms of aesthetics?
Leatherman, yes ... because it's the multitool. You are not that likely to find a builder getting a Swiss Army Knife out of his pocket, but I was converted to Leatherman by the foreman on a London office refurbishment team, who as I asked, really useful? Or something fancy to wear on the belt? His answer was genuinely useful and often came in handy when he didn't have the toolkit. My Leatherman Wave has had plenty of use! I have a Spyderco multi-tool, too, but although it's a clever thing, it doesn't get the same use.

I could collect multitools! :cool:

I have a very similar little leatherman in the left of pic lying around since years - its less than 3" long if I remember. Perhaps an even better looking one ...
What makes it a classic? Looks nice for sure, but does it deserve a classic tag?

--G0bble

I think it is a classic because the design has (and I think) will endure. The base design has remained essentially unchanged since it was introduced in 1980, which makes it over 30 years old. Besides being a truly functional design, I do think it is iconic too, but that is only my personal opinion :)

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back