Device for playing dvd and blu ray rips

square_wave

SayI have all my dvd and blu-ray rips sitting on a NAS. What are the various devices available now to get them to play so that they show up on a display.

Conditions for the device :

No audio amplification required. There is a sperate amp.
It needs to sit in a rack
It should not be a regular computer
It should decode the sound and give out a signal which will be send to an amplifier.
It should have an hdmi out which will connect to a display.
I have no problem with wires, so the device need not be wireless

Its a great recommendation Kittu. I have heard great reviews about popcorn media player as well. But the availability in India was an issue.

I have been using Popcorn Hour A210 for more than a year now. Its bit expensive but I can't think of buying any other media player now...really good. Plays Blu ray iso and Blu ray folder structures , plays flac as well. Has HDMI out, has audio down mixing and pass through, you can check out the various models in their site http://www.popcornhour.com/onlinestore/

I highly recommend it....They are launching A400 soon which is the first player to play Blu ray 3D iso....

Hey Sajith,

Yupa movie server with probably a blu ray drive attached ( going with Kittus suggestion). I want to do all this without a making an HTPC.

Guys, If I want to rip blu rays or dvds, can these devices do that too?

If it is on a portable hard disk, any media player like Asus oplay, will play them. But in your case it is on a NAS. So a media player which can access NAS storage will do the trick. Some thing like the following ( found on googling) will do the trick. It says it can access remote NAS:
Noontec MovieHome V8 NAS Full HD Media Player Remote NAS Access/All HD Videos/7.1 Next-Gen/USB3.0 - $237 - Skycomp Computer Store

The WD TV live media player also claims to play files form network. This also may be useful to you,

WD TV Live Streaming Media Player Western Digital WiFi WDBGXT0000NBK-SESN +BILL | eBay

I would suggest that you buy the new model PCH than the old PCH C300. Most likely they will not releasing any more firmware updates for the older models including my A210. They are drastically changing NMJ so the older processor may not be able to run their new firmwares.

I would suggest A.C Ran PlayON HD .... cheaper than popcorn hour, infact even cheaper than what cybervinay is quoting, and equality competent if not better than popcorn ....... and this a member speaking who has used it quite regularly at one point of time ......

I have had a TVX HD for about a year. It is a multimedia jukebox. It hardly gets any use at all sadly but works fine. Seen perhaps two of the couple of hundred movies on it. Not sure if I want to hang on to it. Think I'll stick with the DVDs themselves although I liked the idea of it in principle.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back