Dexter (Beagle), Floor Standing Speakers and Cables

Ajitsank

I could not hold on any longer the urge of the entire family to get a Beagle Dog (Dexter) home. Went ahead and bit the bullet, little realizing that this little 5 weeks old four legged monster should be kept a watch constantly. if he is left alone he has a go at the speaker cables. I am now very very worried about the Floor standing speakers (It is just matter of days he see's the juicy grills of the speaker), he is already sharpening his nails and budding teeth on Sofa and other furniture's..

I have no other room to move the gear to. It has to be in the living room as all other rooms are occupied.

I am so so desperate. Wished God could show me some miracle. Any help, suggestions are welcome. Other wise I am moving the speakers to higher ground and prays that he would settle down in couple of months.

I could not hold on any longer the urge of the entire family to get a Beagle Dog (Dexter) home. Went ahead and bit the bullet, little realizing that this little 5 weeks old four legged monster should be kept a watch constantly. if he is left alone he has a go at the speaker cables. I am now very very worried about the Floor standing speakers (It is just matter of days he see's the juicy grills of the speaker), he is already sharpening his nails and budding teeth on Sofa and other furniture's..

I have no other room to move the gear to. It has to be in the living room as all other rooms are occupied.

I am so so desperate. Wished God could show me some miracle. Any help, suggestions are welcome. Other wise I am moving the speakers to higher ground and prays that he would settle down in couple of months.
When they are teething everything is at risk including the family jewels. I suspect you will soon put a thread on how to save your furniture, fridge, legs, toes, fingers, slippers, clothes, mattresses, pillows, bags, delivery parcels, doors, pipes, speaker drivers, amplifier knobs, tubes, bottles, crockery, cutlery, sofas, cushions, baskets, grills, etc. Let me see if I have forgotten to mention anything else I replaced or fixed ? Hmmmm…..car seats, car steering wheel, gear shift, pedals, car freshener bottle, etc.

And yes, from time to time you will wonder why the postman or courier didn't bring the post/parcel. More often than not they do but are either terrified of the puppy or the post/parcel or part thereof ends up in the puppy’s belly. You will also see food items disappearing……Talk to your vet and keep a mild puppy laxative at hand.

😂 Its nothing new. With a puppy you are in a good place. Experience tells me a puppy/dog will make you change all of the above once in its lifetime but the better half will do it atleast 5-6 times inspite of it not being broken. I bet you never thought of that ! 😂. Relax its all part of any dog growing up, just like a child teething.

Get him tonnes of puppy toys(be careful about the toxic ones, never buy off the road) and keep a bed or place in the house where the puppy calls it his own and stack the toys there with the bed.

Puppy’s to my mind grow up phisically but they will always be like puppy’s and small children. Thats why they bring so much of love into the family, many families bond around the puppy. It keeps kids and people away a bit from their cell phones and thats a good thing unless one is a active facebook or instagram user. Its a family member.

Have you tried using a pet fence around your system? You could use it till Dexter grows past his puppy phase.
Eventually you should train him not to go near the speakers etc. This is normal for anyone who has pets.

It gets better though. I have two senior dogs now (12+ years old) but they had their phase when they were puppies.
One of them is my wife's and spends most of his time with her watching movies.
My chap is with me all the time listening to jazz and whatever else is on my playlist. :cool:

Last edited:
Have you tried using a pet fence around your system? You could use it till Dexter grows past his puppy phase.
Eventually you should train him not to go near the speakers etc. This is normal for anyone who has pets.

It gets better though. I have two senior dogs now (12+ years old) but they had their phase when they were puppies.
One of them is my wife's and spends most of his time with her watching movies.
My chap is with me all the time listening to jazz and whatever else is on my playlist. :cool:

Thanks Nikhil. The foldable metal is too big for the area that I have. Based on your idea. I think I will go with the wire mesh. https://www.amazon.in/RED-WIND-Stab...&hvtargid=pla-1409948257103&psc=1&ext_vrnc=hi

Congrats for getting the pup! You'll be having a great time together!

For puppy proofing, you can either go for off the shelf solutions like others mentioned or get a free standing fence built around the A/V furniture by the carpenter. Something like this,

1.jpg

It need not be more than a foot tall. The gap between the vertical strips can also be made wider and the space in between can be covered in net. Don't need to spend a lot on it because, hopefully, you won't be needing it for more than a year.

Like @manek already mentioned, it's just the teething phase. We got ours while our place was still under construction and we were living on rent. As we knew we'd be shifting between homes, we just had bare minimum furniture, all rented. He grew past the teething phase during this period. Then we were using a DIY amp and a pair of cheap speakers based on Ahuja drivers. They were already in pretty bad shape, so can't tell whether they had gone under his canines!

As he grew up, he has learnt to keep off whatever is dearest to every member in the family. Otherwise, he owns the rest of the place! For example, my better half doesn't like him playing with clothes (her clothes I mean) and, other than a thick jacket of hers, I haven't seen him carry around any of her clothes. As of me, I care little for my clothes, so you can often see him pulling one out from the heap on the ironing table and carrying it around. If we try to snatch it, he'll turn it into a game of tug of war!

For me, what matters most at home is of course the speakers, cables, rack, etc. Occasionally, while moving around the house, I could catch a glimpse of a wagging tail and a pair of naughty eyes staring at me, and there he will be, sitting dangerously close to a speaker, may be leaving just an mm of gap, waiting for me to scream! And scream I used to and he then calmly hops onto the couch with an unapologetic expression. I feel that it's his periodic test of my insanity!

There is also a corner, a couple of feet away from the speakers, where he chooses to settle down usually while I am not at home. My better half used to say that he must be missing me and the place at home is where he knows he could find a part of my soul that I'd have left behind!

With regards,
Sandeep Sasi

Last edited:
Congrats for getting the pup! You'll be having a great time together!

For puppy proofing, you can either go for off the shelf solutions like others mentioned or get a free standing fence built around the A/V furniture by the carpenter. Something like this,

View attachment 72983

It need not be more than a foot tall. The gap between the vertical strips can also be made wider and the space in between can be covered in net. Don't need to spend a lot on it because, hopefully, you won't be needing it for more than a year.

Like @manek already mentioned, it's just the teething phase. We got ours while our place was still under construction and we were living on rent. As we knew we'd be shifting between homes, we just had bare minimum furniture, all rented. He grew past the teething phase during this period. Then we were using a DIY amp and a pair of cheap speakers based on Ahuja drivers. They were already in pretty bad shape, so can't tell whether they had gone under his canines!

As he grew up, he has learnt to keep off whatever is dearest to every member in the family. Otherwise, he owns the rest of the place! For example, my better half doesn't like him playing with clothes (her clothes I mean) and, other than a thick jacket of hers, I haven't seen him carry around any of her clothes. As of me, I care little for my clothes, so you can often see him pulling one out from the heap on the ironing table and carrying it around. If we try to snatch it, he'll turn it into a game of tug of war!

For me, what matters most at home is of course the speakers, cables, rack, etc. Occasionally, while moving around the house, I could catch a glimpse of a wagging tail and a pair of naughty eyes staring at me, and there he will be, sitting dangerously close to a speaker, may be leaving just an mm of gap, waiting for me to scream! And scream I used to and he then calmly hops onto the couch with an unapologetic expression. I feel that it's his periodic test of my insanity!

There is also a corner, a couple of feet away from the speakers, where he chooses to settle down usually while I am not at home. My better half used to say that he must be missing me and the place at home is where he knows he could find a part of my soul that I'd have left behind!

With regards,
Sandeep Sasi
Thanks Sandeep. Great to read about your pet. Will look up the option you have mentioned.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back