Did u know????

As a technical point I would like to tell that the best songs of the album generally used to be the first songs on the LP on either side. This was because more vinyl per revolution was available which meant better quality of sound reproduction.
Regards,
Saket.

this i never noticed...thanks for sharing...

just on a lighter side....
royal stag tastes like black label with RD songs !!!!!

dear FMs, please share your experiences...;)

5 Dushman LP

5dushmanlp.jpg

Daulat Ke Dushman LP

daulatkedushmanlp.jpg

Jaane Jaa LP

jaanejaalpfirstprint.jpg

Nikamma LP

jaanejaalpsecondprint.jpg

As a technical point I would like to tell that the best songs of the album generally used to be the first songs on the LP on either side. This was because more vinyl per revolution was available which meant better quality of sound reproduction.
Regards,
Saket.

An example of this affecting song sequencing is on Peter Gabriel's 1986 Classic album "So".

The track "In your eyes" was originally meant to close the album. But being a choice for single with hit potential, it was moved to the start of Side B for best possible sound quality.

CD releases place "In your eyes" back at the end of the album

Regards,
Saket.

I am not sure the reason given above is correct. I would think that it is more to do with avoiding inner groove distortion, which is more to do with the limitations of conventional, pivoted tonearm geometry than availability (or, non-availability) of grooves as one progresses into the inner grooves.

I am not sure the reason given above is correct. I would think that it is more to do with avoiding inner groove distortion, which is more to do with the limitations of conventional, pivoted tonearm geometry than availability (or, non-availability) of grooves as one progresses into the inner grooves.

Thanks jls. Yes, that is also a valid point. IMO, both reasons are existent for the best songs to be pressed as opening songs on vinyls. Would like to invite views from other knowledgeable members too that whether more availability of vinyl per second for a song made a difference.

Just for quoting:
(Source: A History of Vinyl)

Fidelity steadily dropped as the recording progressed; there was more vinyl per second available for fine reproduction of high frequencies at the large-diameter beginning of the music groove than on the smaller diameter inner grooves closer to the center. The beginning of the music groove on an LP gave 510 mm of vinyl per second traveling past the stylus while the ending of the music groove gave 200210 mm of vinyl per secondless than half the linear resolution.[33]

While I believe what jls suggested is also correct. It was very common for most tonearm geometries, esp. of consumer grade turntables to suffer inner-groove distortion while playing an LP. Even on good tone-arms, a bad cartridge alignment can produce audibly prominent inner groove distortion.

Regards,
Saket

Sholay song LP has a song "CHAND SA KOI CHEHRA" sung by Kishore Kumar, Manna Dey, Bhupendra & ANAND BAKSI. This song was later removed from the movie release due long running time. This is one of the very few song sung by legendary lyricist Mr. Baksi. He later remarked that not including the song in the film release ended his playback singing career. (Source SHOLAY: the making of a classic, by Anupama Chopra).

Also Sholay had a MONO EP release.

Bhaskar

Last edited:
Sholay song LP has a song "CHAND SA KOI CHEHRA" sung by Kishore Kumar, Manna Dey, Bhupendra & ANAND BAKSI. This song was later removed from the movie release due long running time. This is the only song sung by legendary lyricist Mr. Baksi. He later remarked that not including the song in the film release ended his playback singing career. (Source SHOLAY: the making of a classic, by Anupama Chopra).

Bhaskar

Thanks for the info Bhaskar!

I have a Super 7 of Sholay, that's an EP playing @ 33 RPM. That's in stereo. There are good stereo effects in the song 'Yeh Dosti'.
AFAIK, Sholay was the first Indian movie soundtrack to be pressed in Stereo.

Saket

If most of all are aware there were some plastic paper records available which could play flawlessly. Those records were quite flexible, unbreakable (not un-tearable) and you could fold to some extend for storage. I remember we had 2 of them of some promotional ads and extra band tracks and they played well even after there were kept folded for years. Not remember the SQ though.

I found 1 interesting article on unusual record if anyone wants to know more.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unusual_types_of_gramophone_records

First Indian Stereo soundtrack

Thanks for the info Bhaskar!

AFAIK, Sholay was the first Indian movie soundtrack to be pressed in Stereo.

Saket

Contrary to the popular belief Sholay was not the first Indian movie soundtrack to be pressed in Stereo.

The first Indian movie soundtrack to be recorded & pressed in Stereo was V.Shantaram productions "JAL BIN MACHHLI NRITYA BIN BIJLI" released 1970 on ODEON label. Music directors were Laxmikant Pyarelal. Stereo recording was done at Rajkamal Studio, Bombay.

I wonder why it took another 5 years till Sholay for the 2nd stereo record(if there's none other in between). BTW Most of the indian classical pressings of late 60's ('66 onwards) are stereo records with superb sound reproduction.

Bhaskar

I remember reading somewhere about sound quality of indian film music being compromised due to limitations of the audio component of the film reel...not sure if this is true..anyone know?

Re: First Indian Stereo soundtrack

Contrary to the popular belief Sholay was not the first Indian movie soundtrack to be pressed in Stereo.

The first Indian movie soundtrack to be recorded & pressed in Stereo was V.Shantaram productions "JAL BIN MACHHLI NRITYA BIN BIJLI" released 1970 on ODEON label. Music directors were Laxmikant Pyarelal. Stereo recording was done at Rajkamal Studio, Bombay.

I wonder why it took another 5 years till Sholay for the 2nd stereo record(if there's none other in between). BTW Most of the indian classical pressings of late 60's ('66 onwards) are stereo records with superb sound reproduction.

Bhaskar

Do not really know about JBMNBB soundtrack. However, wikipedia at least says that 'Sholay was the first Indian film to have a stereophonic soundtrack'.
under the filming section.

Regards.

Re: First Indian Stereo soundtrack

Do not really know about JBMNBB soundtrack. However, wikipedia at least says that 'Sholay was the first Indian film to have a stereophonic soundtrack'.
under the filming section.

Regards.

Then wikipedia should be corrected :):), I have the JBMNBB record from my father's collection. And this was actually mentioned to me by Jamal's bro Iqbal. B4 that I never looked a that record. The stereo recording info is mentioned on the sleeve itself.

Thanks jls. Yes, that is also a valid point. IMO, both reasons are existent for the best songs to be pressed as opening songs on vinyls. Would like to invite views from other knowledgeable members too that whether more availability of vinyl per second for a song made a difference.

@Saket: I think I could be totally wrong. See post number 10 here, which seems to suggest that the rotational speed of the record slows to as much as one-third (of the speed of the outer grooves) as it nears the center. And therefore there is much less groove to carry song information. So what one gets in the inner grooves is a fairly "truncated" version of what is possible to put on the outer grooves. But I am still not sure if the "truncation" leads to audible distortion, or is more benign and simply reduces resolution.

The IGD that I am aware of is purely due to tonearm geometry problems and can be cured to a large extent by careful alignment of over hang and null points.

Sorry for the diversion. But I learned something non-trivial, and new today. Record playback is complicated:), and therefore remains exciting :yahoo:.

Sholay song LP has a song "CHAND SA KOI CHEHRA" sung by Kishore Kumar, Manna Dey, Bhupendra & ANAND BAKSI. This song was later removed from the movie release due long running time. This is the only song sung by legendary lyricist Mr. Baksi. He later remarked that not including the song in the film release ended his playback singing career. (Source SHOLAY: the making of a classic, by Anupama Chopra).

Bhaskar

Anand Bakshi also sung ' Jagat Musafirkhana Yehin Pe Aa Na Jana' in Balika Badhu.

Lata Mangeshkar and Anand Bakshi sang a fairly well-known duet in the film "Mome Ki Gudiya" , called "Baagon mein bahar aayee, phoolon pe nikhaar aayee" music by Laxmikant Pyarelal. Song is available in the CD "Rare Gemsof the 70s - Duets of Lata Mangeshkar".

Funnily enough, we never thought of Anand Bakshi as being that "great" a lyricist in those days, in comparison with Rajinder Krishan, Sahir, Majrooh, Shailendra, Hasrat, et al.

Lata Mangeshkar and Anand Bakshi sang a fairly well-known duet in the film "Mome Ki Gudiya" , called "Baagon mein bahar aayee, phoolon pe nikhaar aayee" music by Laxmikant Pyarelal. Song is available in the CD "Rare Gemsof the 70s - Duets of Lata Mangeshkar".

I have this album on EP ' Mom ki Gudiya' with this song. Will give it a spin as you have ignited the interest.

Looks like there are lots of misinformation/wrong info fed to us through so called research books and Wikipedia. So much so for information age.:)

But I learned something non-trivial, and new today.

That is why we all are here! and particularly this thread is about.

Record playback is complicated:), and therefore remains exciting :yahoo:.

So true! Nothing could beat the complications of vinyl! There will always be something enigmatic about records which will keep the enthusiasts interested in the format. Not to mention the pre & post echo at 1.8 secs on a vinyl! & the speed fluctuations that may happen during loud passages...

Regards,
Saket

Last edited:
Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back