Difference b/w Monster Surge Protector & V-Guard Voltage Stabilizer for LCD TVs

Thanks for the thread

I recently bought the 42" Plasma from Panny, I haven't bought the stabilizer yet, will check out the V-Guard 100, here in blore. Anything else should I have to buy to protect my equipemts?

well yes for a 42" plasma u need to get the digi 100 since it supports upto 660watts.
buy them from SP road,although i have no shop in particulars,but some here in the forum have bought it in SP road for about 2.3k.

will the digi 100 combined w/ a run of the mill spike buster (rs 300-400 MX brand types) be sufficient protection against surges/spikes?

will the digi 100 combined w/ a run of the mill spike buster (rs 300-400 MX brand types) be sufficient protection against surges/spikes?

That's what I plan too. The VG Digital 100 should protect against voltage surges while the 'spike guard' (MX etc.) or similar 'surge protector' (Belkins etc.), plugged in via the Digi 100, will give additional 'protection' as well as extra 'outlets' to plug in multiple electronic equipments.

guys what do you'll think of te following as protection for surge/spike and voltage fluctuation -

>>> SU-KAM <<< Leading manufacturer of Power Products in India, Only Power back up company manufacturing world class UPS, Home UPS, Online UPS, Inverters, Batteries, Battery Chargers, Solar Products

Line-R 1200VA Automatic Voltage Regulator

the apc product seems to cover everthing. but will it affect SQ on a A/V receiver like UPS are known to do?

i live in mumbai and have stable power but there are times when the voltage fluctuates esp. uring monsoons. my wii got fried during a storm (think there was a direct lightning strike) even though it was connected to a spike buster :mad:

well i searched for the apc couldn't find them anywhere in india,contacted their apc office,they said they don't sell them in india.

a spike buster or a surge protector doesn't do anything do get stable voltage,u will still see voltage fluctuation.
in order to get a stable power u will need to get a stabilizer.
the said V-Guard is tried and tested.

@Adder, thanks for your inputs. Agree with you on the Stabilizer versus Surge Protector points you mentioned.

Looked at both, the VG Crystal & VG Digital 100. Finally purchased the VG Digital 100 which is 3A. Plan to plug in my LCD, Tata Sky, 2 DVD players, VCR & HTS on this one.

Was quoted 2.85K for the VG Digital 100, but after after some negotiation paid 2.7K for it. Of course will need a surge protector / spike guard board for multiple outputs to be coupled with the VG Digital 100.

Where did you purchase VG DIgital 100? Its costly. I purchased the same from SP road[Venus Electronics] for 2.2K.

Thanks,
Prakash.

Where did you purchase VG DIgital 100? Its costly. I purchased the same from SP road[Venus Electronics] for 2.2K.

Thanks,
Prakash.

In Hyderabad. I asked in 3 to 4 stores around here (probably in the proper city it may be lesser??). Around the same price range +- Rs.500. I knew I was being charged more, but really did not have time to hunt around. Was getting the VG Crystal for 2.2K in all these places. But finally decided to pick up the VG Digi 100 for 2.7K as it had higher Amps. You got a real good deal!

Finally picked up the VG Digital 100, since I was in a hurry as there are power-cuts in our area and did not want to wait too long, leaving my electronics unprotected.

In Hyderabad. I asked in 3 to 4 stores around here (probably in the proper city it may be lesser??). Around the same price range +- Rs.500. I knew I was being charged more, but really did not have time to hunt around. Was getting the VG Crystal for 2.2K in all these places. But finally decided to pick up the VG Digi 100 for 2.7K as it had higher Amps. You got a real good deal!

Finally picked up the VG Digital 100, since I was in a hurry as there are power-cuts in our area and did not want to wait too long, leaving my electronics unprotected.

Anything in the V Guard line I could use to protect my Onkyo 506 avr?
TIA

i just picked up a Digi 100 yesterday...2.8k....didn't bother bargaining because I was in a hurry. It's a hefty little chap, and the switch on delay is barely 3 seconds so it's perfect for use with plasma TVs and the like. How it performs i'll get to know in due course I guess.

well yes for a 42" plasma u need to get the digi 100 since it supports upto 660watts.
buy them from SP road,although i have no shop in particulars,but some here in the forum have bought it in SP road for about 2.3k.

I bought mine for 2.6K from Jyngr 4th block - Blore, & bought a spikeguard (MX) for INR 400

As a follow up to my earlier post please note the following:-

Servo Voltage stabilisers have a response time of 250 milliseconds or more. Other relay type voltage controllers are quite slow.
When a phase & neutral wire gets crossed in the distribution circuit (either in the electricity board's wires or internally if u have a 3 phase supply) the remaining 2 phases will immediately show a single phase voltage of 440V. A few milliseconds of this is enough to fry the power supply & board of ur electronic equipments.
The only thing that works is a high voltage rupture disc. It is available in various rupture voltage ratings. Best is to use one in the range of 280 to 300 v.

The disc is connected across the phase & neutral. When voltage goes above set value it closes a circuit between line & neutral thus preventing voltage to go on to the equipment. I have seen this in action many times. It works. The last time was a major problem & around 350 TVs & other items burnt out in our society & I was the only chap with electronics left standing.

Once the disc has ruptured just replace it with a new one. cost around Rs. 50
. Mahe is elpro.

Also most spike buster strips being sold in the market are humbug. A proper line filter is a large unit. I am attaching a photo of a 1000W line filter I use. The line filter is on the extreme right. The rupture disc is connected on the output side of the filter, It can as well be connected on the input side. The line filter for this rating itself costs around Rs. 1500. Any line filter/spike filter requires extremely good earthing. Your earthing has to be done o an earthing plate which is buried in a pit containing charcoal & sand. Voltage between earth & neutral shouls be 2 - 3 volts max.

For any line filter

Attachments

• RUPTURE DISC.jpg
    RUPTURE DISC.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 392
  • RUPTURE DISC CLOSE-UP.jpg
    RUPTURE DISC CLOSE-UP.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 383
  • LINE CONDITIONER .jpg
    LINE CONDITIONER .jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 379
  • LINE FILTER WITH RUPTURE DISC.jpg
    LINE FILTER WITH RUPTURE DISC.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 382
To prevent problems alway see to it that the electrical components have a capacity that is 140% of the max conneced load.

eg a 5A plug socket can be safely used for peak connected load of around 800 W.

Similarly 16A plug socket should be used for only 10-12 A max load.

Also ensure that all wires are having sound clamping in the plugs & sockets and also that there is no loose connection in the plug & socket. Any sparking in the wire connections or plug & socket will create transients that can damage delicate components on the boards.

hi sridhar
this is quite complicated for a total noob like me :eek:
where can i get the device that you've mentioned? and how do i install it? will this device work as a stablizer/spike surpressor or what?

any inputs appreciated

To prevent problems alway see to it that the electrical components have a capacity that is 140% of the max conneced load.

eg a 5A plug socket can be safely used for peak connected load of around 800 W.

Similarly 16A plug socket should be used for only 10-12 A max load.

Also ensure that all wires are having sound clamping in the plugs & sockets and also that there is no loose connection in the plug & socket. Any sparking in the wire connections or plug & socket will create transients that can damage delicate components on the boards.

Hello Filmguy,

Try the electrical & electronics components shops on Lamington Road. For the rupture disc ask for "ELPRO" high voltage rupture disc. Download the photo to ur mobile & show them.

The rupture disc is to be connected across line & neutral.

The line filters should also be available at these stores. However you need a good electronics chap to make the complete linefilter cum spike buster unit.
I used to buy from a unit in Pune, but unfortunately he went out of business. The aam junta buy only cheap stuff. So a China make spike protector strip (so called ) sells for Rs. 200 while a proper unit, that really works, will cost upwards of 2500.

I am trying to reverse engineer this unit. If I manage I will develop a manufacturer & give all of you his reference.

sridhar i have a power sentry surge supressor and it has those rupture discs infact a total of 11.well basicaly this one is designed to work for 110v to 125v,i used to used to connect it to a 1000watt 220v to 110v convertor.
after a few months of use it has gone kaput.i.e when u switch it on the MCB trips,so how do one know if the rupture disc is gone kaput?since their ain't any burn marks or damage.

Hello Filmguy,

Try the electrical & electronics components shops on Lamington Road. For the rupture disc ask for "ELPRO" high voltage rupture disc. Download the photo to ur mobile & show them.

The rupture disc is to be connected across line & neutral.

The line filters should also be available at these stores. However you need a good electronics chap to make the complete linefilter cum spike buster unit.
I used to buy from a unit in Pune, but unfortunately he went out of business. The aam junta buy only cheap stuff. So a China make spike protector strip (so called ) sells for Rs. 200 while a proper unit, that really works, will cost upwards of 2500.

I am trying to reverse engineer this unit. If I manage I will develop a manufacturer & give all of you his reference.
thanks sridhar do keep us posted. am not sure i'll be able to explain to the local electrician what to do but i'll try.
in the meanwhile what do u think of this product as protection -
>>> SU-KAM <<< Leading manufacturer of Power Products in India, Only Power back up company manufacturing world class UPS, Home UPS, Online UPS, Inverters, Batteries, Battery Chargers, Solar Products

Hi Adder,

If the disc has ruptured the colour of the disc in the middle will be changed.
U will also get some local smell similar to burnt insulation. Alternately you can use a multimeter across the leads to see if the circuit is closed (resistance will be nearly zero of the disc has ruptured). If the disc is ruptured that would be the reason ur mcb is tripping as phase & neutral has been connected.

If u get a new rupture disc of 230 volts basic rating (ie suitable for indian voltages) u can connect it to the input of your convertor.

Hi Filmguy,

I doubt if the SUkam unit will protect you from a 440 V surge. Ask the shop keeper to test it for 440 V surge (without any financial liabilities for u.) If he is hesistant be sure the unit cant take it.

Hi Adder,

As a followup to my post:

If you find that the disc has ruptured & u are not able to replace it just cutt off the 2 leads. Ur mcb will then stop trippeng. Any remaining bare lead to be covered by insulation tape.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back