Difference b/w Monster Surge Protector & V-Guard Voltage Stabilizer for LCD TVs

Pls suggest stabilizer for LG 42" plasma TV

Hai guys!
I have a LG 42" plasma TV (Model: 42PQ60R). I am looking for stabilizer for my TV. I'll be connecting TV and Airtel DTH set-top box. I see that my TV plug shows 6A, 250v and TV specifications show power consumption of 200w. So, I feel that the V-guard DIGI-200 best suits me. The vendor, just says 1KVA stabilizer will be more than enough for me. Am confused. Please advice me which stabilizer to buy for my plasma tv and what is the cost of VG DIGI-200?

I am confused with my requirements and the Amperes in V-guard DIGI series. I get that DIGI 100 is 3amp x 240v = 720 VA and DIGI 200 is 6amp x 240v = 1440 VA. Am I right? Please suggest a stabilizer for my following equipment.

1. 42" LG 42PQ60R Plasma TV. The technical specifications of the TV shows 200 watts max. But, the power cord of the TV shows 250v, 6amp. (I hope the 250v, 6amp is max capacity of the cord and not the TV) Please help me in this regard, as am not able to calculate my requirement.

2. Airtel Digital TV STB: 25 watts

3. Yamaha AVR: 280 watts
Should I add the 5.1 speaker wattage also? Its 5x110 + 100(Subwoofer) =650watts
4. Playstation 3 (to add shortly)

Please suggest whether for my above requirement DIGI 100 will be sufficient or should I go for DIGI 200?

Guys my panasonic 42" plasma went dead due to "power board short" which the technician suspects to be due to surge. I have a APC SUA1000UXI UPS which powers my entire home (pure sinewave line interactive UPS). Even-though it stabilizes the voltage variation in the supply, due to it being line interactive there is a finite delay before the switch happens to battery supply.

Below are my equipments that go with my TV. Can you please recommend if a stabilizer is needed for my setup that is protected by the home UPS? If so is VG digi 100 enough?

1. Panasonic 42" plasma
2. Sony PS3. the launch model
3. Logitech Z-5500 speakers
4. Videocon D2H HDDVR set top box.
5. Western digital live media player.
6. Ethernet switch.

Regards,
Sateesh.

The SUA1000UXI also acts like stabilizer meaning it trims the voltage upto 285 or boost the voltage from 160v ,beyond these voltage it will go to back up mode.

Now the switching time of these are really fast just not fast as a online UPS.

So its highly unlikely that it went kaput due to power surge,may be its a manufacturing defect in plasma power supply.

^^Thanks adder. I forgot to mention one thing. I have a APC 1000VA ups (non-sinewave but sinewave when supply is on) that connects to the wall outlet (which is powered by APC SUA1000UXI) and then a Belkin surge protector powering the above said equipments. Is this is a problematic connection that would have caused the issue ?

Last edited:
a ups unless it is online basically protects only data,(by giving a few minuts to save it)
if you need real protection for your hardware from power problems go for online ups.

i am going to do that now

voltage stabilisers/spike suppressors also will not offer complete protection for the hardware(semiconductor devices), they are fine for refrigerators / a/c etc

Last edited:
^^ Yeah true.. But I cannot go for online UPS which is way costlier than my current line interactive seup. Hence trying to find out whether my current setup is enough or what I can addto make it better without spending a lot (like adding a stabilizer or a monster surge protector)

^^Thanks adder. I forgot to mention one thing. I have a APC 1000VA ups (non-sinewave but sinewave when supply is on) that connects to the wall outlet (which is powered by APC SUA1000UXI) and then a Belkin surge protector powering the above said equipments. Is this is a problematic connection that would have caused the issue ?

No it won't cause any issues.

Dear All,

Pls refer to my posts re high voltage rupture disk. Nothing else will protect u from a 440v surge when line & neutral get crossed.

Sridhar V

A costly machine went bad after a power spike when lines crossed, though it was connected by online UPS, it was not able to save it. Will the disc work in such situation

What is the best buy
1, Belkin 8-Out Surge Protector Gold Series ( it even covers for Tv cable and phone line in )

Bce i already own a stabilizer , which i have connected to my 42 Led but recently it had some power issue it switched off all of a sudden , may be via cable network so i planned for BELKIN , Before i buy this i want o make it sure so i am asking

What is the best buy
1, Belkin 8-Out Surge Protector Gold Series ( it even covers for Tv cable and phone line in )

Bce i already own a stabilizer , which i have connected to my 42 Led but recently it had some power issue it switched off all of a sudden , may be via cable network so i planned for BELKIN , Before i buy this i want o make it sure so i am asking

Dont go to croma or reliance digital for belkin. They sell ar MRP of 2002. In local shops (I know its hard ot get) you can get it at (~1700) a little more than ebay rates (~1600)

Two observations:

1. One of the conditions of life-time replacement warranty of Belkin Gold Surge Protector is, not to "daisy-chain" the Surge Protector with other surge protectors, UPS, voltage regulators etc. So, it is probably meant to operate as a stand alone device between the wall-socket and the A/V equipment, even though a few posts on this forum suggest linking up the A/V equipment through a voltage stabilizer / Servo / UPS / CVT and a Belkin Gold Surge Protector, to the wall-socket.

2. The Panasonic Service Centre guy, while installing a Panasonic 42X30D (after my Philips LCD TV went kaput), has cast away the sturdy, 600 VA voltage stabilizer I was having (I was daisy-chaining it with a Belkin for my Philips), saying the SMPS inside the Panasonic would take care of the voltage fluctuations, and no external voltage stabilizer was necessary. In fact, he categorically told not to install a voltage stabilizer. So it is perhaps better to contact your authorized service centre before planning for a voltage stabilizer. A Belkin Gold perhaps can be installed without consulting any one as it comes with equipment insurance and life-time replacement warranty.

Thanks. What is the cost of this stabilizer?

Even though you have a stabiliser, you need a spike buster. The stabiliser output is connected to spike buster. I have v-guard digi200 @ 5k.Rs

never connect a UPs/inverter to a LCD TV as some brands void warranty if it is connected with invert/ups.

Last edited:
I don't understand the logic behind warranty being void by using inverter/UPS/Surge Protector. I am wondering how on earth are they going to know that you used A UPS with your (fried) system or a belkin protector in daisy chain?

I don't understand the logic behind warranty being void by using inverter/UPS/Surge Protector. I am wondering how on earth are they going to know that you used A UPS with your (fried) system or a belkin protector in daisy chain?

did I include Surge protector? read my post again.

while shopping for my TV, I found some brands listed in their carton box with phrase like warranty void if used with UPS/Inverter. Better if you want to know, you visit a store.

Sure it is not you who posted about surge protector. I just clubbed Rabepobemababe's post. I hope you have read it. It is true that some brands have those warranty conditions, including my denon AVR, but my question remains the same - how are they gonna find out you used a UPS?

While I do not have answers for the question posed at #57, I found a few detailed technical explanations on why Surge Protectors should not be "daisy-chained" with other Surge Protectors, UPS and Inverters. Here is the link:

Daisy Chain Your UPS? | Geek.com

But still no clarity on the Voltage Stabilizer part.

While I do not have answers for the question posed at #57, I found a few detailed technical explanations on why Surge Protectors should not be "daisy-chained" with other Surge Protectors, UPS and Inverters. Here is the link:

Daisy Chain Your UPS? | Geek.com

But still no clarity on the Voltage Stabilizer part.

I have a square wave inverter and a computer UPS daisy chained since last 6 years. Not once I have faced a issue or any dangerous situations. When there is a power cut, the UPS detects a change and powers the computer for a second. After that it falls back on the inverter power. This I guess is normal as inverter has some lag. So the square wave funda is BS in my opinion.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back