Difference between Denon & Marantz

I had purchased a Marantz NR1509 , i returned it for a Denon X2600H. While the difference was not huge for music but Marantz was clearly more musical. The reason for the return was it lacked the punch for movies and was slightly underpowered for my speakers.
Good choice. Denon is a clear winner over the marantz in terms of movies. You are going to enjoy your movies more now that you have a Denon.

Being a Denon and Marantz av receiver user I will say Marantz is subtle and detailed with greater micro dynamics in high frequencies. Sound is sweet and mellow which suits better for music . Marantz is not far behind than Denon in cinematic experience. It is equally capable of producing cinematic experience like Denon with little soft punch in low frequency ( may be better control ). Denon have little agility and punch in low frequency at the cost of details. High end Denon's may be better than entry to mid segment.
I have auditioned many Yamaha av receivers but few are still in my mind after passing long time.
Yamaha RX-V6xx with ETC 5.1
( FF5 last aeroplanes chase scene )
Yamaha A-10xx with Polk RTiA5,A1,CSiA4 with Velodyne sub
( Famous GOT green wildfire scene)
Both the set give me true cinematic experience one expect from HT set.
Yamaha was fast and weighty with better dynamics than both Denon and Marantz. Each channel was flooded with power. It seems like most of the speakers drivers working to their maximum excursion level to produce true cinematic energy. Yahama (A10xx) cinematic scale was larger and louder than Denon and Marantz .
But as usual most of the user prefer Denon/Marantz for easy UI and better calibration system .

Being a Denon and Marantz av receiver user I will say Marantz is subtle and detailed with greater micro dynamics in high frequencies. Sound is sweet and mellow which suits better for music . Marantz is not far behind than Denon in cinematic experience. It is equally capable of producing cinematic experience like Denon with little soft punch in low frequency ( may be better control ). Denon have little agility and punch in low frequency at the cost of details. High end Denon's may be better than entry to mid segment.
I have auditioned many Yamaha av receivers but few are still in my mind after passing long time.
Yamaha RX-V6xx with ETC 5.1
( FF5 last aeroplanes chase scene )
Yamaha A-10xx with Polk RTiA5,A1,CSiA4 with Velodyne sub
( Famous GOT green wildfire scene)
Both the set give me true cinematic experience one expect from HT set.
Yamaha was fast and weighty with better dynamics than both Denon and Marantz. Each channel was flooded with power. It seems like most of the speakers drivers working to their maximum excursion level to produce true cinematic energy. Yahama (A10xx) cinematic scale was larger and louder than Denon and Marantz .
But as usual most of the user prefer Denon/Marantz for easy UI and better calibration system .

Very aptly explained. Would like to add that the build quality of Yamaha would be best of the three brands imho.

Last edited:
I had purchased a Marantz NR1509 , i returned it for a Denon X2600H. While the difference was not huge for music but Marantz was clearly more musical. The reason for the return was it lacked the punch for movies and was slightly underpowered for my speakers.
Yes, personally I’ve found the marantz to be a little brighter for my taste, add klipsch speakers to it and I get the nails on a black board kinda chill

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back