Dilemma of buying Oled or Q Led tv,s

There is no perfect TV, every TV has it's own strengths and weaknesses. You have to choose one that meets your viewing habit. If you intend to watch a lot of cable/sports for an extended period in a bright room, then get a QLED. On the other hand, with moderate usage in a dark room, OLED is a viewing pleasure, especially the black level that will impress you. Both C9 and Q80R are good TVs with comparable price, opt one that meets your viewing habits.

If you love infinite contrast and don't have lot of cable TV use and have a moderately dark room setup - OLED is for you. The PQ is good and you'll go gaga about its perfect blacks. So much so that your love for OLEDs will make you swear for it and rest every other TV will look like burden on earth.

If you want to use your TV like other mortal humans, in a living or drawing room, with a mix usage of everything and don't pixel peep looking for that perfect blacks, you will live happily with QLED or high end LED and save few bucks vs OLEDs.

I am on the second boat myself. I look for large viewing experience than an infinite contrast experience. Colors, motion and ease of use is lot more important than a great black sky. I tried budget LED brands from TCL, VU and Mi. I am very happy with those. All three of them are comparable to each other in PQ. TCL and VU have a QLED option, I haven't demoed them.

If you love infinite contrast and don't have lot of cable TV use and have a moderately dark room setup - OLED is for you. The PQ is good and you'll go gaga about its perfect blacks. So much so that your love for OLEDs will make you swear for it and rest every other TV will look like burden on earth.

If you want to use your TV like other mortal humans, in a living or drawing room, with a mix usage of everything and don't pixel peep looking for that perfect blacks, you will live happily with QLED or high end LED and save few bucks vs OLEDs.

I am on the second boat myself. I look for large viewing experience than an infinite contrast experience. Colors, motion and ease of use is lot more important than a great black sky. I tried budget LED brands from TCL, VU and Mi. I am very happy with those. All three of them are comparable to each other in PQ. TCL and VU have a QLED option, I haven't demoed them.

Just adding that OLED isn't just about perfect blacks. It also has the best viewing angles. Only IPS can compete with it, but IPS has really bad contrast. VA panels have better native contrast but with bad viewing angles, so much so that on large TVs, even if you sit in the center, the corners will be darker and colors will shift. A few high-end models come with wide angle filters, but those also smudge a few details, leading to loss in sharpness and lower effective resolution. Will everyone notice it? No idea. I do, but I'm a video editor. I do. My parents couldn't care less about it. They just know OLED looks better.

QLED is just normal LED LCD panels with quantum dot filters. Sony Triluminos is also technically QLED. So are some LG sets. QLED itself doesn't mean much than slightly better color gamut in case of lower end panels. That's it. Samsung QLEDs are VA panels. Sony has a mix of IPS and VA. LG is all IPS now for LEDs.

Now for SDR, VA panels will offer a decent experience as long as you view mostly from center. For HDR, you need at least full-array local dimming. Otherwise the blacks rise a lot. This one reason why TVs without local dimming or edge-lit dimming with low zones don't go above 400-500 nits, even Samsung Q60. This also one reason why many report that HDR looks washed out and SDR looks better. That's a combination of tone mapping for a lower nit display and then raised blacks.

If you want a good HDR experience, FALD is the minimum that you should look at. We don't have budget FALD sets currently by TCL or Hisense, unlike abroad, so your starting options are limited to Q70 or X950G, which are overpriced in India and are priced too close to LG B9.

Now for burn-in, I won't type again, just go through my previous posts. Commented multiple times on the forum. Easy to search. Basically, if you're cable viewing time is limited to 2-3 hours each day, get the OLED. The new panels will be fine for 6-7 years. For reasoning, just search by my name and burn-in.

It basically boils down to 2 things

1)Brightness in your room-if its very bright then definitely go for LED like Q80 or X950G.Both have their pros and cons.Q80 will offer you better viewing angles and X950G will give better upscaling and picture processing.

2)Content-If your family going to watch DTH 5+ hrs everyday then again LED is a better option.

Otherwise OLEDs are great option if you are watching 4K HDR content on Netflix,Apple tv+,Amazon prime etc.specially LG OLEDs.You not only get great PQ but also its future proof with HDMI 2.1 and e-ARC.Also input lag is very low.which means its great for gaming.Sony A8 will offer you slightly better upscaling and motion handling.but honestly its not worth the price difference.also it missed on HDMI 2.1.

It basically boils down to 2 things

1)Brightness in your room-if its very bright then definitely go for LED like Q80 or X950G.Both have their pros and cons.Q80 will offer you better viewing angles and X950G will give better upscaling and picture processing.

2)Content-If your family going to watch DTH 5+ hrs everyday then again LED is a better option.

Otherwise OLEDs are great option if you are watching 4K HDR content on Netflix,Apple tv+,Amazon prime etc.specially LG OLEDs.You not only get great PQ but also its future proof with HDMI 2.1 and e-ARC.Also input lag is very low.which means its great for gaming.Sony A8 will offer you slightly better upscaling and motion handling.but honestly its not worth the price difference.also it missed on HDMI 2.1.

You will get a better HDR experience in Q80 due to a higher native brightness level (1500 nits). Also, playing games with static content for prolonged hours may cause image retention/burn-in on an OLED panel.

Flatpanelshd:

"We reiterate this because it seems that many do not fully comprehend peak brightness for HDR. While 1% of a screen sounds like a small area, it is actually not very small (for example, the bright spots in the photo of the lady below are far smaller than 1%). A 1% window takes up 82944 pixels on a 4K panel. Many of the brightest elements in an HDR picture fall within such small segments. Stars, lamps, reflections in surfaces, subtitles etc. So while some LCD TVs today can theoretically hit 2000-4000 nits peak brightness, the limited luminance control of all commercial LCD panels mean that they often produce visibly lower peak brightness than OLED in actual HDR viewing, unless a much larger segment of the picture is bathed in light, for example a bright sky or a big explosion that takes up a considerable amount of screen estate. But then again, that bright sky is very unlikely to coded to 1000 or even 600 nits in the content. That is not healthy to look at and most organizations involved recommend that content creators reserve those peak brightness pops for specular highlights in the picture.

Having once again had some of the latest and greatest OLED and LCD TVs in our lab at the same time, we are once again reminded that the pixel-level luminance control of self-emitting display technologies such as OLED and microLED trump the higher, often theoretical, peak brightness of LCD TVs for HDR picture quality. We maintain that OLED TVs currently produce the best HDR picture quality, which is actually astounding when you consider that OLED panel development hit a roadblock 3 years ago. Apropos, Rec.2020 color coverage remains unchanged for OLED at around 69%."

You will get a better HDR experience in Q80 due to a higher native brightness level (1500 nits). Also, playing games with static content for prolonged hours may cause image retention/burn-in on an OLED panel.

FYI...

FYI...

I have read this article. Not even once have they mentioned that compensation cycles, are a part of tech lent to LG display by IGNIS Innovation, which takes care of differential aging. Moreover, thanks to increase in aperture/fill ratio without any brightness increase, there's more headroom for that tech to take care of the panel.

Burn-in is already entrenched in minds of prospective buyers. Do you have any reports of HDR viewing causing differential burn-in in general? I bet not. Rtings burn-in test and hundreds of user reports for 2016-2017 sets, 2016 without compensation cycle, 2017 with compensation cycles but still a smaller red subpixel, have had burn-in from static elements or elements that repeated stay on screen, such as bright faces of Caucasian newscasters. As I have mentioned multiple times, 2019 sets will last 2-3x even with that usage. So 4-5 years easily even if they watch news.

Please go for LG C9 as I am personally using LG c8 FOR MORE THAN YEAR.No burn in issues ,LG oled is awesome on orginal 4k content with HDR ,sony is very costly and except sound nothing special and brightness is somewhat inferior to LG in few cases.

Let me know if anyone wants to read patentd about this too. I think I posted one in the OLED uniformity thread.

Samsung Frame TV could be a very good option too. For those who wants a real show piece and good working QLED panel. Currently on offer at Flipkart for 1.4L for 65in.

I was tempted to go for it, but then, my budget conscious brain told me to get the Mi 4x 65 instead and save 85k :)

Waiting for it to be back in stock with some offer.

Samsung Frame TV could be a very good option too. For those who wants a real show piece and good working QLED panel. Currently on offer at Flipkart for 1.4L for 65in.

I was tempted to go for it, but then, my budget conscious brain told me to get the Mi 4x 65 instead and save 85k :)

Waiting for it to be back in stock with some offer.

Except that there's a whole thread about why it was not for this one user who bought it. He's now a happy OLED user. Frame is like Q60. Just a basic LED TV with VA panel and slightly wider color gamut. Best VA panel without FALD that you can get...probably. Worth the cost? Nope. Samsung is way overpriced here.

Samsung Frame TV could be a very good option too.
Your recommendation is based on personal experience or just going by the specs?

If it's later, then my sincere advice is do not recommend this TV, in fact do not recommend anything based on just specs. This particular TV is just garbage!

If anyone wants specifically QLED then, then minimum they should look for Q80... Anything below is waste and i can say it's garage!

@smnrock, @Marakk - guys, I respect your thoughts, but can you pls stop correcting me? I gave my opinion on this forum like everyone else. You disagree, it is fine. Why go ahead with a personal attack?

I have taken a demo of Frame and I found it to be good enough. What may not work for one user need not to be generalized to all. Pls guys - if you have useful to share, pls share it politely and with respect. Not everyone can afford a 6 cyl engine. Please learn to respect others and learn to live with others opinions.

I don't need to be told about greatness of OLEDs and FALDs sets all the time. PLS, spare me.

@smnrock, @Marakk - guys, I respect your thoughts, but can you pls stop correcting me? I gave my opinion on this forum like everyone else. You disagree, it is fine. Why go ahead with a personal attack?

I have taken a demo of Frame and I found it to be good enough. What may not work for one user need not to be generalized to all. Pls guys - if you have useful to share, pls share it politely and with respect. Not everyone can afford a 6 cyl engine. Please learn to respect others and learn to live with others opinions.

I don't need to be told about greatness of OLEDs and FALDs sets all the time. PLS, spare me.

Contradicting your opinion is not a personal attack. What personal attack has been made against you?

Informing people with accurate information is necessary for good decision making. Why even have an enthusiast forum otherwise?

@rksingh1 Please explain, what you term as the personal attack in my post? So that i can correct that myself in future. And i very clearly mentioned, if its based on your personal experience or just by specs.. if its former, then its fine!

BTW, frame tV was not sold offline AFAIK, not even in samsung opera center.

HDR is not about brightness only.it just one of the factors.check this video.

Not only that, the q is very long.Realme,appo,mi qled, Xiomi oled,compaq ,huwai honor etc.

You will see lot many players in March.hisence h8f is coming with name change.it is value for money product.but i am waiting for duel cell xd.

Although only if it was an h9f, h8f isnt that great or worth the wait. Wonder why tcl wont launch the panels like the roku 6 series here that are the best in budget to mid tier.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back