Disappointed with RT3 as no surround effects except on Clear Voice

Chulbulee

Very excited buying Sony RT3, but disappointed on the surround channels performance. I ran Dolby Atmos and other Dolby surround files downloaded from their website, and tried different modes like Movie, Sports, Music but the surround speakers are shut off, except on Clear Voice. IDK what people listen and give so many positive reviews, probably only look at the bass and get overjoyed.

I previously used Sony HT RT 3, it supports only optical and HDMI ARC

And it can decode only Dolby Digital 5.1 (AC3) & PCM 2.0 . It does not support other audio codec like DTS or Dolby TruHD or DTS-HD or PCM 5.1

How did you connect sound bar to source (TV or media player or streamer).

Using HDMI first. Then after finding this anamoly, tried using optical, then bluetooth too, but the problem appears the same. I was fine with 5.1, which shows on TV on HD channels. But saw the surround channels on clear voice.

Can you confirm if the speakers are connected to the right speaker terminals on the sub woofer?
Surround is not always active. You'll need to try with a streaming provider, dvd or blu ray that has 5.1 channel decoded content.
How are you playing back this content? Using the TV?

The system was installed by Sony technicians, so I doubt any incorrect connections.

I am also well versed in audio, I have double checked after you asked. I know surround is not always active.

I am using TV channels in HD, wherein it shows 5.1 on screen. I even tried dolby 7.1.2 content and knew when the speakers skipped, I also played downloaded Mandalorian, which played in perfect 5.1 on my neighbour's system, though he has Samsung, it played well in all modes. Here, it played 5.1 on Clear Voice only. I don't have either blu ray or DVD player. Thanks @sandeepmohan

The system was installed by Sony technicians, so I doubt any incorrect connections.
What is the method of connection between TV and RT3 and your brand of TV?
There might be some parameters that need to be changed on the TV.
Don't worry. Should be easy to sort out.
Before you do anything, ensure every sound mode is switched off, such as Clear Voice, etc.
We don't want that interfering with the setup.
Lets start with bare bones 5.1 before we jump to anything higher.

TV is LG (7780), set top box (DishNXT HD) to HDMI IN port, HDMI ARC from TV to RT3.

The manual says "Depending on the input signal and the sound field setting, surround sound processing may not work effectively. The surround sound may be subtle, depending on the program or disc"

Did you try connecting the optical from set top box to sound bar? Optical out on set top box set to multi channel.

MaSh

HDMI ARC should work.
You want to go into the Sound setup on your TV and look for Digital Audio output or something worded in a similar way.
Settings>Sound>Sound Out -> Switch Between Auto and PCM and check. Auto should work.
Look for Digital Sound Out and set that to Auto.
I assume ARC Mode is ON on the TV.
Try some streaming content which says 5.1 available. Something as basic as The Office has it but this show hardly ever uses surround channels. You'll need some action flick you are familiar with to check.

One problem I identified. Everything is connected to one electricity outlet, BUT when I switch On, RT3 by default is off. TV searches for devices, finds STB first and then I have to through a long exercise of assigning everything again.

Please read my earlier answers, it is awkward to repeat same messages again and again.
I ran Dolby Atmos and other Dolby surround files downloaded from their website, and tried different modes like Movie, Sports, Music but the surround speakers are shut off, except on Clear Voice
I also played downloaded Mandalorian, which played in perfect 5.1 on my neighbour's system, though he has Samsung, it played well in all modes. Here, it played 5.1 on Clear Voice only.

If in Setup I say that all-front setup, then different modes do work (though I have placed surround channels at my back) but same sound comes from left channel & left surround, which defeats the purpose. If I say the other option, the surround speakers don't work.

Last edited:
One more thing, STREAM on the subwoofer display shows LPCM and in manual it says LPCM 2ch is supported. Should it be showing something else here like Dolby Digital and this is where my problem is? TV HDMI input format is set as Bitstream for all inputs.

Yes the sound bar is receiving only LPCM 2.0. If the sound bar is receiving 5.1 it shows DOLBY DIGITAL in stream.

Check the HDMI ARC settings, use optical for better results

Okay, changed to AUTO in TV ARC settings. STREAM in subwoofer display shows Dolby Digital for apps like youtube and SONY LIV. Still, surround speakers are inactive in every mode but clearaudio+. For my dishtv set top box, sound doesnt come until I disconnect the STB HDMI from TV a couple of times.

I think its best you call Sony and sort out the issue. The RT-3 is under warranty after all.
Beyond what I have written above, there is no further action required.
I am not sure how you are going to get surround speakers to work from a set top box, unless the source is encoded in 5.1. I have not come across terrestrial TV with 5.1.
It is quite evident the speakers are working. If it did not, then it should not work even when you use Clearaudio +. To me, it still sounds like a source issue.
LPCM support on the RT-3 is only 2.0 channel. 5.1 or 7.1 is not supported.
Speaker placement should be left as Standard.
Also check if EFCT is "ON"

Okay, changed to AUTO in TV ARC settings. STREAM in subwoofer display shows Dolby Digital for apps like youtube and SONY LIV. Still, surround speakers are inactive in every mode but clearaudio+. For my dishtv set top box, sound doesnt come until I disconnect the STB HDMI from TV a couple of times.
Youtube & Sony LIV stream only 2.0 audio. They doesnt support 5.1 surround in anyform

Youtube & Sony LIV stream only 2.0 audio. They doesnt support 5.1 surround in anyform
Dolby 5.1 footage downloaded from their website also doesnt work on any sound mode except clearaudio+. In that too I hear the left channel on surround left speaker and LFE is silent.

It is a 19000 product. Just better than a 2.1 channel sound bar. But it is still a limited fragile product with a subwoofer integrated amplifier. Probably class D amp.

Back