Disappointed with the noise out of the speakers

I mostly listen to music and I don't know how to describe when so I'll give an example. The noise is very dominant at songs like 'Blue eyes crying in rain' - Willie Nelson. I think the noise is more prominent around high notes.

Check the speaker cable connections especially at amplifier end. Tighten them if loose. Try expandable banana plugs for better fit. If you already have them, check if the amplifier terminals are screwed in tight. Even small play can lead to cracking noise.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello folks

I have a Marantz NR1509 connected with Elac cinema 5. I've been noticing a rattling noise from the speakers every now and then. I ran Audyssey few times but it doesn't go away. Is it possible that either speakers or the receiver is faulty? Or is it that Marantz and Elac dont go together well?

Hi are u driving the AVR beyond the limits ?

What is the volume level u are driving the speakers.If it reaches to the edge it might clip .Distortion is coming in low volume level?

Eco mode is available in the AVR ? if yes can you try disabling it and give it a try?

If nothing helps out most likely this could be AVR issue.

Anyways you would have tried speaker cables connection as mentioned by other FM

if you have any other bluetooth speakers with Aux input u can try using pre-out of AVR to bluetooth speaker aux connection and try to play thru blue tooth speaker( not thru AVR speaker ) - Remove all speaker cables from back side of the AVR and play the same content and observe - Hope i am not confusing here with this work around we could make out the issue with AVR ( preamp section) for sure .

atb

I had the technician visit from the dealer today and we tried replacing the speakers and replacing the AVR. It still didn't work out. Couple of days back I connected the speakers to a rather small, less powerful amp which a friend of mine got from Vietnam. The sound wasn't as immersive as Marantz however there was no crackling noise anymore. Today I also spoke to a guy who recently bought the same speakers with a Denon AVR and he too wasn't much happy about the speakers. At the end I concluded the speakers are not powerful enough for my room and I've been driving them at higher volumes and they can't handle it well. Now I regret being impatient and going against the suggestions of building a good system in phases. I spoke to the dealer and he's ready to take back the speakers and I can choose any other model and pay the difference. The bottom line is I am looking for suggestions again. I've decided to go for a pair of bookshelves and a sub for now. I am looking for an immersive and dynamic pair of speakers for a budget of about 30K-35K and a sub for about 20K. The important thing is My Marantz NR1509 should be able to drive them easily. After some research Elac Unifi B5 seems to be the ultimate speakers for my budget however I noticed they have 4 Ohms impedance and probably hard to drive. I am not sure if they are a good choice. I am planning to go on an audition spree coming week but before that I should know what I am looking for.

I had the technician visit from the dealer today and we tried replacing the speakers and replacing the AVR. It still didn't work out. Couple of days back I connected the speakers to a rather small, less powerful amp which a friend of mine got from Vietnam. The sound wasn't as immersive as Marantz however there was no crackling noise anymore. Today I also spoke to a guy who recently bought the same speakers with a Denon AVR and he too wasn't much happy about the speakers. At the end I concluded the speakers are not powerful enough for my room and I've been driving them at higher volumes and they can't handle it well. Now I regret being impatient and going against the suggestions of building a good system in phases. I spoke to the dealer and he's ready to take back the speakers and I can choose any other model and pay the difference. The bottom line is I am looking for suggestions again. I've decided to go for a pair of bookshelves and a sub for now. I am looking for an immersive and dynamic pair of speakers for a budget of about 30K-35K and a sub for about 20K. The important thing is My Marantz NR1509 should be able to drive them easily. After some research Elac Unifi B5 seems to be the ultimate speakers for my budget however I noticed they have 4 Ohms impedance and probably hard to drive. I am not sure if they are a good choice. I am planning to go on an audition spree coming week but before that I should know what I am looking for.
For 30-35k budget you get good speakers such as the Dali z3 and q acoustics. There are few other models as well but I haven’t heard them. Z3 and q acoustics sound good and perform well. Coming to sub you won’t get a decent subwoofer for 20k. You need a budget of atleast 30k. Bic f12, Yamaha sw300, Taga platinum v2 sub are decent entry level subs available in 30k budget.

I didn't expect the thread to move the direction it's headed. Anyway coming back to the topic, I had the technician visit from the dealer today and we tried replacing the speakers and replacing the AVR. It still didn't work out. Couple of days back I connected the speakers to a rather small, less powerful amp which a friend of mine got from Vietnam. The sound wasn't as immersive as Marantz however there was no crackling noise anymore. Today I also spoke to a guy who recently bought the same speakers with a Denon AVR and he too wasn't much happy about the speakers. At the end I concluded the speakers are not powerful enough for my room and I've been driving them at higher volumes and they can't handle it well. Now I regret being impatient and going against the suggestions of building a good system in phases. I spoke to the dealer and he's ready to take back the speakers and I can choose any other model and pay the difference. The bottom line is I am looking for suggestions again. I've decided to go for a pair of bookshelves and a sub for now. I am looking for an immersive and dynamic pair of speakers for a budget of about 30K-35K and a sub for about 20K. The important thing is My Marantz NR1509 should be able to drive them easily. After some research Elac Unifi B5 seems to be the ultimate speakers for my budget however I noticed they have 4 Ohms impedance and probably hard to drive. I am not sure if they are a good choice. I am planning to go on an audition spree coming week but before that I should know what I am looking for.

Oh, that's sad. However, good that there is a solution.

What are the options available with the dealer? Stay away from Elac Unify. They are great with a Stereo/power amp or a beefy receiver. Look at fairly efficient speakers, 87db+ sensitivity and 8 ohms impedance.

MaSh

The dealer mostly has Elacs and Polks. However he can get me Dalis and Wharfedales.

How are JBL bookshelves?

It's quite possible your installer/dealer was right - I just looked up the ELAC cinema 5 and it is a barebone speaker system with tiny 3" drivers - they are bound to distort at high power levels.
You could possibly get away with using those by setting the crossover to 160+ but that would be injustice to your AVR which is a capable one.

I am not sure how much you want to spend on the speakers but it may be worthwhile to do a step upgrade
egg, get a capable sub and set your crossover high with small speakers
or better still, get a good set of L-C-R speakers and basic surrounds and add a sub later

The dealer mostly has Elacs and Polks. However he can get me Dalis and Wharfedales.

I would choose from Polks and Dalis to match with the Marantz. Polk Rti Series or the Dali Zensor. Both go well with Marantz NR.

MaSh

How about JBL or Wharfdale diamond series?
I have not heard any JBL so cannot comment on that. Wharfdale are known to have a warm signature, combine that with marantz which has a warm to neutral signature, could make the whole signature in my opinion a bit too warm and dull. Polk and Dali are lively speakers, hence the overall signature remains balanced with marantz.

That said, I would suggest you audition all possible combinations at the dealership and pick the one you find best sounding. Do keep in mind the sensitivity.

MaSh

How are JBL bookshelves?

If the Dealer has Polks....

Audition the T series..... T15s Bookshelf and T30 Center..... it will definitely be better than what you had.....look at Polk Sub HTS 10......

Another combo..... Polk RTi A1 Bookshelfs and Sub HTS 10 or HTS 12....... some dealers offer 10% off on mrp of Polk products (sometimes more also)...ensure you avail the discount and pay the less difference...

Suggest you audition the same music / movie content on T series and RTiA series and decide for yourself.

The Wharfedale Diamond 8 and 9 series were very good...cant comment on the latest ones available......it may also get expensive for you from a budget perspective.....

Before sealing the deal, consider placement areas and mounting options.....dont regret later if the speakers cant fit etc....please dont rush...measure available space and see how you can mount these speakers well.....

All the best

I spoke to the dealer today and he has Elac Debut available. I noticed they can be placed near the wall, a feature I would prefer. What do you guys think of debut series?

How about JBL or Wharfdale diamond series?
I’m using wharfedale diamond 225 with Marantz pm6004. Excellent synergy and non fatigue inducing combination

I spoke to the dealer today and he has Elac Debut available. I noticed they can be placed near the wall, a feature I would prefer. What do you guys think of debut series?
Elac debut b6 v1 had excellent bass. Haven’t heard the new version though

No Avoid. They are not the most efficient of speakers. They will play well, but will never sing to their potential with a receiver. If you intend to add a power amp or a beefy integrated then they are a good choice, else pick an efficient speaker. Speaking from experience of using Elac Debut B6 with my NR series. Sold them in 2 months.

MaSh

So I auditioned some of the speakers today and here's what I thought
1. Elac Debut B5 and B5 : With Marantz I found them dull and boring. They lacked punch and sharpness. The only good thing about them is they can be placed near a wall. Price quoted for B5 is 24,500INR.

2. Q Acoustics 3010i: I almost ended up buying them. Compared to Elac, they were much cleaner and sharp. They appeared to me like a safe bet. Price quoted: 22,500INR.

3. KEF Q800DS: After listening to them I forgot about Q Acoustics. They are a little bright but with Marantz they sound clean, balanced, soothing and crisp. Sadly they did not have any other KEF model to audition. Price Quoted: 42,000INR.

So, I concluded the audition with KEF Q88DS along with Polk Audio HTS 10 subwoofer ( Price quote: 29,900INR).

Now, few things I have to clear before I make the payment. The KEF Q800DS are surround speakers and I am looking for front speakers. Are they a good choice or should I check any KEF Q series bookshelf like Q150? Also I noticed they are bipolar speakers and I have no idea what that means. On internet some folk recommend to install one the speakers upside down because of the polarity. This model doesn't have any mention on KEF's website as well.

I have to finalize it tomorrow and I really could use some help. Also, what do you guys think of the price?

They did not have Dali, Wharfedale and B&W. However the dealer recommends KEF over Dali and Wharfedale.

Last edited:
Hi,

Surround speakers may sound nice...but ideally should not be used as fronts as they cannot fulfill the duties of the front speakers...

Did you audition any Polk speakers? S series T series or RtiA series?

Hi,

Surround speakers may sound nice...but ideally should not be used as fronts as they cannot fulfill the duties of the front speakers...

Did you audition any Polk speakers? S series T series or RtiA series?
I could not because of the time constraint.

Before you finalise....please hear them...dont rush...... I feel the T 15s should suffice......RtiA 1 for sure.....

So I auditioned some of the speakers today and here's what I thought
1. Elac Debut B5 and B5 : With Marantz I found them dull and boring. They lacked punch and sharpness. The only good thing about them is they can be placed near a wall. Price quoted for B5 is 24,500INR.

2. Q Acoustics 3010i: I almost ended up buying them. Compared to Elac, they were much cleaner and sharp. They appeared to me like a safe bet. Price quoted: 22,500INR.

3. KEF Q800DS: After listening to them I forgot about Q Acoustics. They are a little bright but with Marantz they sound clean, balanced, soothing and crisp. Sadly they did not have any other KEF model to audition. Price Quoted: 42,000INR.

So, I concluded the audition with KEF Q88DS along with Polk Audio HTS 10 subwoofer ( Price quote: 29,900INR).

Now, few things I have to clear before I make the payment. The KEF Q800DS are surround speakers and I am looking for front speakers. Are they a good choice or should I check any KEF Q series bookshelf like Q150? Also I noticed they are bipolar speakers and I have no idea what that means. On internet some folk recommend to install one the speakers upside down because of the polarity. This model doesn't have any mention on KEF's website as well.

I have to finalize it tomorrow and I really could use some help. Also, what do you guys think of the price?

They did not have Dali, Wharfedale and B&W. However the dealer recommends KEF over Dali and Wharfedale.

The reason Elac sounded like that is what I mentioned in my previous post. They need power.

Yes once you hear a Kef you are hooked for good. I use a lovely pair of Kef iQ5 towers.

However, since you need a proper home theater, I would suggest you go all around with QA speakers. Buy 2 pairs and have them as Front and Rear. Get a matching Center and you are Super Golden. They might be a bit low on Bass, however, with a Sub in place, that would actually make integrating the Sub easier.

MaSh

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back