Dish TV launches USB recording on existing HD STB via firmware upgrade

I have this feature for about 3 months now. I bought this because i was used to this feature in US and UK. Iam disappointed due to these reason
1. Only 1 tuner available i.e. i can watch and record the same program. In US there are at least 2 tuners and some vendors provides upto 5 tuners. You can watch a program and at the same time can record upto 4 programs.
2. Recording is limited by your USB/HD and also this USB/HDD cannot be used elsewhere. Internal memory is very fast and can record more than 1000 hours. With an USB/HD you need to do regular house keeping.
3. I have observed that the recording is erratic and sometimes the program fails to record completely. I haven't figured out the pattern yet, but iam sure there seems to some pattern to it.
Overall its a disappointment if you are used to recording feature abroad. I heard that the TataSky's feature is more advanced is has internal memory with 600 hours of HD recording. This should be good as i think they are partners of SKY in UK who have had recording features for years now.

mshekhar, i think point 2 is for copyright protection. This is not possible with other DTH providers in India as well. If you want copy capability, better look for tuner / capture cards with PC.

Regarding point 1 and 3, I agree but 2600 for a HD STB is around 45 USD. How much did it cost in US with 5 tuners and what was monthly charge.

Is there any chance dish will rethink on recording a different channel than the one you are watching? THis option is ridiculous. You would want to record a different channel than the one your watching.

Srini

Is there any chance dish will rethink on recording a different channel than the one you are watching? THis option is ridiculous. You would want to record a different channel than the one your watching.

Srini

This would invariably increase the cost of your stb like that of tata sky. Or you might think of buying a seperate dvr that you can use to record a host of other programs and not remain limited to your d2h subscription

This would invariably increase the cost of your stb like that of tata sky. Or you might think of buying a seperate dvr that you can use to record a host of other programs and not remain limited to your d2h subscription

Thanks, didnt know we could buy a separate dvd, will i be able to connect this to my dth? where can i buy this?

Srini

I think that it is very cool feature that non-DVR customers are able to record programs on DishTV STB. But DishTV should also provide the proper DVR option.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back