DIY 100inch projector guide with pics and estimate

Me and my cousin did one such LumenLab projector 2 years ago just for fun. We Incurred the following costs

Used 15.6" Samsung 16:9 LCD - Rs. 3000
400W MH Lamp + Ballast - Rs. 1800
Fresnel lens + Triplets from old projectors ~ Rs. 1000
Cooling fans ~ 300
Construction materials + Carpentry labour ~ Rs 4000 (MDF, fasteners, tempered glass, threaded rods etc. Had to get a carpenter since we didn't have power tools to make it. The vertical build increased the cost).

The end result was perfect too with almost uniform brightness even towards the edges. However the downsides were
1. Bulky projector. Occupies considerable amount of space.
2. Heats up very bad and fan noise is audible. Comsumes a lot of power
3. Fixed focus

The projector now probably is lying with my cousin unused and looking back we've spent well over Rs 10,000..Good enough to get a used 1024x768 projector today.

The only advantage these DIY projectors is the cheap replacement lamp. But to me the drawbacks seem to overshadow this sole advantage.

Most of these drawbacks will go away once higher power LEDs are affordable. We can replace the MH lamp with an array of LEDs thereby reducing the build size (length), power consumption as well as heat generated. Further reduction in size can be achieved when small size high definition display panels become affordable.

Last edited:
The end result was perfect too with almost uniform brightness even towards the edges. However the downsides were
3. Fixed focus

The projector now probably is lying with my cousin unused and looking back we've spent well over Rs 10,000..Good enough to get a used 1024x768 projector today.

Same case here - DIY projector image looks great etc, but it is lying unused due
to the bulk.

Most of these drawbacks will go away once higher power LEDs are affordable. We can replace the MH lamp with an array of LEDs thereby reducing the build size (length), power consumption as well as heat generated. Further reduction in size can be achieved when small size high definition display panels become affordable.

Hertzblaster from Manila has been making cool LED projectors, like what you say.
Check out the pics via google, or on diyaudio, if you haven't already seen.

diy projector from the Philippines - Page 82 - diyAudio

The results look too good for a DIY. Would like to do something like that when I can get a 1080p 5" panel and some 20+ 1000 lumen led to build a light array. That would be too good but still needs to be cooled though.

Me and my cousin did one such LumenLab projector 2 years ago just for fun. We Incurred the following costs

Cooling fans ~ 300
Construction materials + Carpentry labour ~ Rs 4000 (MDF, fasteners, tempered glass, threaded rods etc. Had to get a carpenter since we didn't have power tools to make it. The vertical build increased the cost).

3. Fixed focus

The only advantage these DIY projectors is the cheap replacement lamp. But to me the drawbacks seem to overshadow this sole advantage.

Hi,
read you post.i like it.i am also starting to build my diy pj.i arrange allomst part.i am confuse to build light house.which metirial i used for it.i have 150w MH u/v bulb-Double Ended.and also have condenser lens.can you give me idea how i build it light box.can you plz uplod u pj pics with inside view

many good pjs come in 20k range in wxga resolution ,many of lamps last 5000hours ,
cost 4k that too after 3 years
you will replace,so DIY is not worth.

the awesome looking ready PJ has remote,resalable etc so if u invest 25k in one reselling you will just loose 10k,diy unit has to be thrown loss of 10k is therein bothcases

Cooling fans ~ 300

3. Fixed focus

Hi man, Please let me know if i can get them in coimbatore? if not can you help to get them from chennai.

Hi man, Please let me know if i can get them in coimbatore? if not can you help to get them from chennai.

If you want I am selling my DIY PJ parts:

Its a very sparingly used (hardly 25hrs max) LumenLab S15 full kit along with the LCD panel with controller and Osram HID kit and the kit is in Bangalore. It can be shipped to coimbatore.

It is kept in the original packing as I got another PJ. Its in READY TO ASSEMBLE condition as I had assembled it for checking (even the panel is in stripped condition with protective tape for the FFC cables, you can directly use it). Make the box and fix the kit as per the instructions and you are ready to go...

Shipping charge will be extra if it is very high.

- Lumen Lab S15 kit

- 15" / 1280x720p native / 16:10 / fully stripped / ready to use for PJ / only used for ~20hrs

- 400w Osram MH bulb (used less than 20hrs, 25hrs max) + ballast

For the full kit, the price can be 11K + shipping (Osram 400w bulb free)

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back