DIY - Acoustic Transparent screen

Ok.. Good one.. I have already used double layer of spandex over the frame and the center channel speaker is abt 2 inches behind the screen.. If i add an other layer behind the frame, sure it would look good, but it may affect the sound from center channel...
Won't the AVR's room correction s/w pick it up and suggest you the remedy?

The electrical wiring is something that we can hide using casing, but the speakers wires are very difficult to hide in a Tiled floor, brick wall.. Sure, i will check for bigger casing material..
I have abt 5 cables running behind the screen from left to right, and they are thick as well.. Gypsum walls would have been easier to do all these...
My suggestion would be along the brick wall, without disturbing the flooring. Anyways, you know your room better than me. :)

When the screen is flipped up, the tip of the screen is abt 9'7" off the floor.. Just kissing the ceiling.. Hooks near the tip is fine, but accessing them will be a challenge..
What I mean is that when you flip up the screen itself, you might be able to feel how the left & right corners of the tip of the screen start moving on their own. It's a huge screen, indeen. So the hooks I'm talking about need not be on the tip (near the ceiling); but somewhere near halfway mark or better somewhere between 1/2 and 2/3 mark.

And by the way, looks like I should plan a visit to your place :)

Won't the AVR's room correction s/w pick it up and suggest you the remedy?

Yes.. I think so..

My suggestion would be along the brick wall, without disturbing the flooring. Anyways, you know your room better than me. :)

Yeah got it.. the standard wall casing that you get at the local hardware is abt 1 inch thick.. They have 1 1/2 inch thick.. Any more thick, they don't have it..

Am considering if i can use a PVC pipe that is used for plumbing, behind the screen to tuck away the wires..

What I mean is that when you flip up the screen itself, you might be able to feel how the left & right corners of the tip of the screen start moving on their own. It's a huge screen, indeen. So the hooks I'm talking about need not be on the tip (near the ceiling); but somewhere near halfway mark or better somewhere between 1/2 and 2/3 mark.

Got it.. Mostly the screen is in viewing position 95% of the time... Juz only in case, we need to access the space behind screen for dusting/cleaning, we flip up.. But yes, hooks at the 1/2 to 2/3 mark of the screen, should hold it firmly..

And by the way, looks like I should plan a visit to your place :)

Sure.. You are welcome any time..:thumbsup:

Hi Elango,
Nice meeting you last evening. It was a pleasant movie experience for us, my friend & myself. :clapping: No words for your enthu in explaining about audio, video, projection in general and about your DIY efforts, AVR, Sonodyne Avant in particular. :clapping: We had wonderful time and hope you had too! :D
Thanks again!
BK
:eek:hyeah:

Hi Elango,
Nice meeting you last evening. It was a pleasant movie experience for us, my friend & myself. :clapping: No words for your enthu in explaining about audio, video, projection in general and about your DIY efforts, AVR, Sonodyne Avant in particular. :clapping: We had wonderful time and hope you had too! :D
Thanks again!
BK
:eek:hyeah:

Hi BK,

Yes.. Same here..Pleasure to have you & your friend.. Will try your idea of screen with rope & pulley some day ..

@ elango

Are these the same speakers for which I shared the Golden Ratio dimensions? Curious to know.
Cheers,

@ elango

Are these the same speakers for which I shared the Golden Ratio dimensions? Curious to know.Cheers,

I hope you are referring to front left & right..If so, they are Sonodyne Avant LCR 250..

The dimensions i got from you was for ceiling speakers..Here is the speaker mounted on the ceiling..
b92b56c2f5491b0a3509698f5f50fd99.jpg

Juz completed installing the Acoustic Transparent screen..
Cost of the spandex (Lycra fine) material = Approx 600 Rs for 8 x 6 feet screen..
I plan to use a dark curtain cloth behind the screen to cut day light out..

Suggestions to improve the viewing experience are welcome..

Hi elangoas

From where did you get the spandex (lycra fine) material and how thick is the
black curtain cloth what material.

Should we go for spandex material (double layered) only if we need a transparent screen..i.e center spk behind..or can use it in a normal way i.e
center spk in the front below the screen.

How abt carls screen flexi white as per link below,how far will it be superior to your spandex screen????

FlexiWhite Projector Screen Material

rajesh

Hi elangoas

From where did you get the spandex (lycra fine) material and how thick is the black curtain cloth what material.

Hi Rajesh

I procured it thru my friend from Tiruppur (Textile Town of Tamilnadu).. The top layer (matte Ivory spandex) and the bottom layer(matte black spandex) are of same thickness, but not sure on how thick they are..Am guessing same thickness as an undershirt..

Should we go for spandex material (double layered) only if we need a transparent screen..i.e center spk behind..or can use it in a normal way i.e
center spk in the front below the screen.

White/ivory spandex stretched over black spandex would be a good solution for a DIY screen (Fixed frame).. A center behind the screen is great as you can bring down the screen height to the floor for more comfortable viewing.. My DIY screen starts 12 inches off the floor..

BTW these DIY AT screen (Spandex) has a gain < 1.0.. Probably 0.7 (or) 0.8 gain.. (read thru AVS forums)

How abt carls screen flexi white as per link below,how far will it be superior to your spandex screen????

FlexiWhite Projector Screen Material rajesh

I haven't used these.. But they look like Vinyl screen with a gain of 1.1..

With DIY screen, you have the benefit of keeping the center channel at ear level behind screen.. With Vinyl screen, you will be forced to keep the center below the screen.. The bigger the screen, lower the center channel..

Hi Rajesh

I procured it thru my friend from Tiruppur (Textile Town of Tamilnadu).. The top layer (matte Ivory spandex) and the bottom layer(matte black spandex) are of same thickness, but not sure on how thick they are..Am guessing same thickness as an undershirt..

White/ivory spandex stretched over black spandex would be a good solution for a DIY screen (Fixed frame).. A center behind the screen is great as you can bring down the screen height to the floor for more comfortable viewing.. My DIY screen starts 12 inches off the floor..

BTW these DIY AT screen (Spandex) has a gain < 1.0.. Probably 0.7 (or) 0.8 gain.. (read thru AVS forums)

I haven't used these.. But they look like Vinyl screen with a gain of 1.1..

With DIY screen, you have the benefit of keeping the center channel at ear level behind screen.. With Vinyl screen, you will be forced to keep the center below the screen.. The bigger the screen, lower the center channel..

Thanks elangoas for your feedback,,

will keep in touch with you when i will be doing diy screen..please pm me your contact number..

thanks
rajesh

Awesome DIY Elangoas!! I am also considering going for Egate 513 soon. As of now looking at some 6*4 ft tripod mount screen available on Amazon.

@elangoas
Finally, our friend has confirmed stocks are ready. I have a question. If acoustic transparency is not a factor - is there a material better than spandex for DIY? Is spandex "good enough" if acoustic transparency is not important at all.

Currently I have a laminate screen (ivory) full ply backing with borders et al. And it is crushing blacks from my JVC LXUH1B. And, to get the details I have to lower the gamma to 1.8 (yes, that's right). Also this projector is bright and at 10 feet for a 100", I can see some screen texture if I run it in normal mode, and so run it in economical mode(this is not really a problem). Hence considering something else.

@elangoasFinally, our friend has confirmed stocks are ready.

Ok Great..

I have a question. If acoustic transparency is not a factor - is there a material better than spandex for DIY? Is spandex "good enough" if acoustic transparency is not important at all.

Am not aware of a better material then spandex for DIY screen.. Have used only spandex.. May be Vinyl screen also could work here.. Map type (or) something which you can pin to walls..

But why do you want to skip AT screen?.. You can place the center channel behind the screen at ear level.. You would miss that with other material..

Currently I have a laminate screen (ivory) full ply backing with borders et al. And it is crushing blacks from my JVC LXUH1B. And, to get the details I have to lower the gamma to 1.8 (yes, that's right). Also this projector is bright and at 10 feet for a 100", I can see some screen texture if I run it in normal mode, and so run it in economical mode(this is not really a problem). Hence considering something else.

A laminate screen, i guess must be glossy surface and on top of that you have higher brightness projector.. May be could lead to eye fatigue..

With a higher brightness capable projector, better to match it with spandex which is a low gain screen.. So it will compensate for higher brightness of lamp projector.. Just my thoughts..

My AT screen was abt 2 yrs old since i last built it for my living room.. I don't have an Air conditioning room, only a fan.. And probably due to that, the screen had accumulated lot of very fine dust.. Thought of washing the fabric in luke warm water to get rid of the dust effectively..The screen also had thin borders which i removed..

lFHEaye.jpg

Also noticed that the center speaker was roughly 2 inches lower than the L/R.. Gave it some wood packing at the bottom to get it to the same height as L/R..

wIaDNrw.jpg

Washed only the white fabric and pinned it back to the frame.. Black fabric (1st covering on the frame) remained as is.. Didn't remove it..
TYonFTg.jpg

1SywBAV.jpg

Had an option to mount the projector, very close to the wall, there by sequeezing some more bigger diagonal screen from abt 96 to 103 inch.. This prompted me to remove the borders on the frame to accommodate the slightly bigger image..

Now the AT screen is without borders.. Images from left to right fit to screen exactly without any noticeable gaps making it border-less.. There was just 1/2 inch gap on the top & bottom of the screen without image being filled.. Kind of fine with me..

piHFGXS.jpg

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back