DIY - Acoustic Transparent screen

If you can color the back wall behind the screen with a real black color , that would ensure no stray light and image shall appear more sharper.

Isn’t removing the fabric and putting it back on painful . How do you manage without creases ?

Yes, it is a bit painful.. But have the experience of unpinning the fabric from the frame when i did it incorrectly for the first time.. Used a kitchen knife to lift the staples off the frame.. Bit tedious and takes bit of time.. Have to do it patiently..

Regarding creases, the cloth was air dried without forming wrinkles.. When pinning, a gentle stretch removes the creases.. Best would be to steam iron it before pinning as it would remove the wrinkles completely.. Have done that in the past.. Didn't get much time this time around..

Why dont you paint the entire room walls in black and possibly either use a black carpet on floor or change the tiles to ful black.

Why dont you paint the entire room walls in black and possibly either use a black carpet on floor or change the tiles to ful black.

It is a living room and painting black for walls is not even remotely possible for aesthetics reason.. But i have managed to cover the entire glossy floor with back mat/carpet, which was of benefit to picture quality on the screen.. Also have covered 70% of ceiling with black fabric (which holds rockwool)..

Just by covering the whole glossy floor with black mat/carpet, i get weird looks from guests/ relatives and questions on why black colour for floor :D

Hi,
elangoas,

You using double spandex material(Black & white) as ATS covering the LCR,dont

Hi Rajesh,

For now, i have only the center channel behind the screen.. The screen isn't large enough (in my room) to accommodate L-C-R behind screen.. If i had that big screen, i would have defnetly gone for L-C-R behind screen..

you feel they hamper the sound quality coming from front..

Don't think so, not at-least with center channel behind.. I haven't been to a place where they had L-C-R behind screen, so not really aware of downsides.. But, from what i have used in my room, (center behind screen), i haven't noticed any issues..

Double layer spandex is said to reduce the speaker output (in the high freq) by 2dB, but i believe they should get adjusted when you turn up the volume..

This was pointed out by Kannan,few of his friends had this issue i.e LCR behind Double layer ATS,single layer no issue.

I am also into this,so making sure using double layer wont effect LCR sound.

This was pointed out by Kannan,few of his friends had this issue i.e LCR behind Double layer ATS,single layer no issue.

I am also into this,so making sure using double layer wont effect LCR sound.

Ok.. Given a choice and space permitting, defnetly L-C-R behind screen at ear level..

Built one more AT screen, this time for my brother with some changes to his living room..

I7zECNm.jpg

DdC4rwk.jpg

Below image is what my brother had sometime back, with manual pull down Vinyl screen..

vXb9VA3.jpg

Got 3 pc's of Taga Harmony TAV OW60 LCRS speakers to place it behind the planned AT Screen..

SF4XWbD.jpg

I had initially planned to paint the wall behind the screen black..

SzELtyW.jpg

Picked Asian paints emulsion (Rs 200 / litre), aval locally.. This was the darkest/deepest black i could make out from the colour palette brouchure aval in the local hardware store.. (Raven Song - code 8253)

bzlY6SA.jpg

I thought i was crazy to paint the living room wall with black colour.. Initially painted the wall behind the screen and the nearest place to the projectors screen with black..

28dhLEW.jpg

But my brother was more crazier and wanted to try black for half the room length from the projectors screen.. Helped him to paint the walls..

E8bwtcq.jpg

Picked some wood from nearby scrap wood dealer to build the frame and some waste plywood to cover the windows ( to block light from the windows behind).. That window was anyway not used since Vinyl screen has put up there earlier..

v3jfNMX.jpg

We did cover the windows with waste plywood and painted it black with the same asian paints emulsion, just to see how it holds up..

xrND6Dk.jpg

Using the waste wood, we built a wooden support for speakers to be placed on it..

jXsGk3u.jpg

Then placed the speakers on the wooden support

9adDaoU.jpg

Then we made the frame to pin the screen..

I7zECNm.jpg

Call it the greed for more/bigger screen size, used some extra space besides the wall to stretch the frame max..

DdC4rwk.jpg

The width of the screen is 144 inches and diagonal should be approx 165 inches.. Pinning the fabric to such huge size was a task..

With margin of errors and the projectors adjustment, usuable screen size are should be approx 160 inches, viewing distance approx 15ft from the screen..

Money spent to paints the walls black, approx Rs 1,000 (includes 3 ltrs of paint, roller brush)..

Money spent to build the 160 inch frame approx Rs 1,700 (60 Kgs of wood including additional wood for support for speakers)..

Money spent for fabric, approx Rs 2,500..

Totally Rs 5,000 and change for the entire DIY effort.. We didn't employ carpenter.. My brother was semi skilled and myself extending support to him to complete this task..

There were some errors with dimensions due to bend in the wooden frame, and we had to make last minute adjustments.. A carpenter would have done it neat/better, but DIY experience was good learning.. All in all happy with what he had pulled off over the last weekend..

First half of the floor (glossy tiles) would also be covered with black mat, to make the reflective surfaces from the screen dead.. Half bat cave :p

Last edited:
How is the screen standing ? Is it attached to the ground or the back wall ?
Painted half the living room black ! :) Very enterprising indeed

How is the screen standing ? Is it attached to the ground or the back wall ?

Idea was to attach the frame to the nearest surface with window stopper hook.. Since there were errors to the edges of the screen, it is almost hugging the surface and now free standing :) ..

Painted half the living room black ! :) Very enterprising indeed

Thanks.. Just a try, to experience how it would be.. With all lights off in the living room, movie watching is just superb..

Built one more AT screen, this time for my brother with some changes to his living room..

I7zECNm.jpg

DdC4rwk.jpg

Below image is what my brother had sometime back, with manual pull down Vinyl screen..

vXb9VA3.jpg

Got 3 pc's of Taga Harmony TAV OW60 LCRS speakers to place it behind the planned AT Screen..

SF4XWbD.jpg

I had initially planned to paint the wall behind the screen black..

SzELtyW.jpg

Picked Asian paints emulsion (Rs 200 / litre), aval locally.. This was the darkest/deepest black i could make out from the colour palette brouchure aval in the local hardware store.. (Raven Song - code 8253)

bzlY6SA.jpg

I thought i was crazy to paint the living room wall with black colour.. Initially painted the wall behind the screen and the nearest place to the projectors screen with black..

28dhLEW.jpg

But my brother was more crazier and wanted to try black for half the room length from the projectors screen.. Helped him to paint the walls..

E8bwtcq.jpg

Picked some wood from nearby scrap wood dealer to build the frame and some waste plywood to cover the windows ( to block light from the windows behind).. That window was anyway not used since Vinyl screen has put up there earlier..

v3jfNMX.jpg

We did cover the windows with waste plywood and painted it black with the same asian paints emulsion, just to see how it holds up..

xrND6Dk.jpg

Using the waste wood, we built a wooden support for speakers to be placed on it..

jXsGk3u.jpg

Then placed the speakers on the wooden support

9adDaoU.jpg

Then we made the frame to pin the screen..

I7zECNm.jpg

Call it the greed for more/bigger screen size, used some extra space besides the wall to stretch the frame max..

DdC4rwk.jpg

The width of the screen is 144 inches and diagonal should be approx 165 inches.. Pinning the fabric to such huge size was a task..

With margin of errors and the projectors adjustment, usuable screen size are should be approx 160 inches, viewing distance approx 15ft from the screen..

Money spent to paints the walls black, approx Rs 1,000 (includes 3 ltrs of paint, roller brush)..

Money spent to build the 160 inch frame approx Rs 1,700 (60 Kgs of wood including additional wood for support for speakers)..

Money spent for fabric, approx Rs 2,500..

Totally Rs 5,000 and change for the entire DIY effort.. We didn't employ carpenter.. My brother was semi skilled and myself extending support to him to complete this task..

There were some errors with dimensions due to bend in the wooden frame, and we had to make last minute adjustments.. A carpenter would have done it neat/better, but DIY experience was good learning.. All in all happy with what he had pulled off over the last weekend..

First half of the floor (glossy tiles) would also be covered with black mat, to make the reflective surfaces from the screen dead.. Half bat cave :p
Amazing DIY you could start your own shop in future .

Hi Elangoas,
Very impressive and you seriously motivate many people to go your route. Keep up the good work.
Speaker stand doesn't look strong. Will it hold?

Hi Elangoas, Very impressive and you seriously motivate many people to go your route. Keep up the good work. Speaker stand doesn't look strong. Will it hold?

Thanks for the kind words.. The speaker stands are provided with firm support to side walls as well as from the floor.. After placing speaker, we checked and it feels like it can take some more weight too..

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back