DIY Active Ambilight- All video sources

Amarendra

Hi,

Happy to announce the completion of my new active ambilight project for all video sources. As mentioned in my previous post I had worked on an ambilight kit which could only accept videos on xbmc running on raspberry pi 2.
However this new build now accepts all sources. I have checked the following:
- XBOX 360
- Google Chromecast
- Laptop
- Blu ray player

Of course videos played through the raspberry pi 2 through xbmc continue to be supported.

This new build uses the WS 2801 instead of the WS2812 B LED strip used earlier allowing me to eliminate the need for a separate arduino kit in the chain.

Needless to say gaming and movies come to life with the ambilight. The only thing which took time was fixing the light bulbs string behind the TV since each bulb had to be sewn individually to a cardboard to maintain durability.

The pictures are screen shots taken while playing Tomb Raider on XBOX 360 and you tube as well as the wall papers on Chromecast.

Enjoy and happy to note any suggestions

Last edited:
Hi, I have put up an ambilight kit for sale, please refer to the "for sale" section of the forum for details.

Cool project. I didnt see a price tag on it. what would it be for a projector screen 65 inches.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back