DIY audiophile rack

@ all thread participants,

came across this -

AudioFederation - Catalog of High-End Audio Equipment Racks, Stands and Platforms

interesting designs that S. Patrappa road in bangalore can supply material for!:clapping:

oh yes sardar patrappa road - i lived in basavanagudi for many years, and my favourite places were the (1) the park, with it's table tennis building and (2) sardar patrappa road and the area behind canara bank head office, exiting at the george oakes building
thanks for the link. and many more here StudentMarket.com, Inc.

You are paying hefty amount...

let me tell you 4 legged rack with rounded legs...
glass fittings lpads done(glass/mdf extra),awesomely polished(mirror)..
was quoted 2k to me..!

with 4 raw legs 2k + gone?
So be careful;)

If u dont want SS, then a lot of cheaper option are there, you can take just normal steel rods (threaded/ or not). normal GI pipe, and fantastic steel clamps are there to hold the racks,
but I put the price of stainless steel rods, 20mm threaded 1mtr + SS nuts and washers.. Even a shop cant sell below 5.
And glass is difficult to handle. If you have your own home and no need to house shifting (like me), then its okey.

If u dont want SS, then a lot of cheaper option are there, you can take just normal steel rods (threaded/ or not). normal GI pipe, and fantastic steel clamps are there to hold the racks...

All were stainless steel ... no offense meant , i never go for cheap looking parts... they were used in the glass dining table making etc..shiny crome finish like mirror. like these
http://www.solidsteel.it/home.php?lingua=ita
.shop keepers raise prices if diy guys come..while fabricators get these for less...a little check at 2 - 3 places is good so added.

just a small thought i am adding ...plain (not threaded) rods look smooth and easy 2 clean..
threads can be done at a metal shop 'only' at the joints and will hide after fitting, as in the picture in the above link...
..my opinion only :)

Last edited:
All were stainless steel ... no offense meant , i never go for cheap looking parts... they were used in the glass dining table making etc..shiny crome finish like mirror. like these
::: Solidsteel :::
.shop keepers raise prices if diy guys come..while fabricators get these for less...a little check at 2 - 3 places is good so added.

just a small thought i am adding ...plain (not threaded) rods look smooth and easy 2 clean..
threads can be done at a metal shop 'only' at the joints and will hide after fitting, as in the picture in the above link...
..my opinion only :)
Kaushik, I agree with you. The manufactures (business buyers) will definitely get less. But if they sell outside definitely the price increase. The full threaded rod reduces a lot of hassles. And glass is out of question in my case.
My seller told me if I take more number of rods, the price will come down. Thats where the manufactures get the discount.
(Even for a restaurant this is applicable. They buy vegetables and grocery at damn cheap rate than we do. :))

good luck with the rack ..
if you want to add fancy LED mods..
i am here (net is full of these,but practically how-to do here in INDIA );)

I think I am currently out of luck. Local dealers are not ready to give half sheet of MDF (18mm 8x4 sheet). If anybody knows any dealer who is ready to sell in small quantity in Bangalore, let me know. Or If any body ready to take half sheet, I am happy.

Last edited:
I think I am currently out of luck. Local dealers are not ready to give half sheet of MDF (18mm 8x4 sheet). If anybody knows any dealer who is ready to sell in small quantity in Bangalore, let me know. Or If any body ready to take half sheet, I am happy.

If you don't mind buying used MDF, PM me and I shall share info of a chap dealing in scrap wood. You will have to pick and choose the good pieces from a lot. Should not be too difficult as the quantity you are looking to buy is less. This chap undertakes dismantling and buying entire offices and sell them at dirt cheap prices.

check in bamboo bazaar..
Hi,
I went to bamboo bazaar (parallel to KR market flyover, consists of great tools dealers in town with massive displays), and at the end I could find a dealer for MDF and other stuff. Got 18mm MDF cut into 24x16" six pieces(half sheet from 8x4')
Including cutting Rs. 770. If I take full sheet, price will come down by Rs7 per square feet.

Now filing, painting, drilling (I have a driller, need the bit). and finals....
dont know when will do...

Thanks Kaushik for suggesting the place. Hope you have suggested the one where I went, but according to the traffic police man standing near the "bamboo bazaar", the bamboo bazaar is near Shivaji Nagar !!!
He is not aware of any Bamboo bazaar in KR market.....:rolleyes: I asked a pan shop waala, and he showed the exact place... Even the googlemaps shows the place.

Thanks Kaushik for suggesting the place.....maps shows the place.

thats the other one.. near shivaji Ngr was the one i was pointing ..u get all old wood and mdf furnitures ,pieces also have all metal cutters ,welders etc

job done thats good ....near forum mall also there are many
mdf shops, big door like sheet 3/4 mdf were approx Rs1080 a year back

I had been to a shop on S.J.P Road yesterday to buy some allen bolts and found that they stock the long bolts that are used in this DIY rack. Just thought I'll share this info for anyone interested in a DIY rack. The contact details are:

Shabbir Enterprises
64/7, Silver Jubilee Park Road,
Bangalore-560 002
Tel: (080)22237427, 41243674
Cell: 09341251127

They also deal in all kinds of bolts/fasteners, castor wheels and stock brands like TVS, APL etc.

Hi,
I went to bamboo bazaar (parallel to KR market flyover, consists of great tools dealers in town with massive displays), and at the end I could find a dealer for MDF and other stuff. Got 18mm MDF cut into 24x16" six pieces(half sheet from 8x4')
Including cutting Rs. 770. If I take full sheet, price will come down by Rs7 per square feet.

Now filing, painting, drilling (I have a driller, need the bit). and finals....
dont know when will do...

Thanks Kaushik for suggesting the place. Hope you have suggested the one where I went, but according to the traffic police man standing near the "bamboo bazaar", the bamboo bazaar is near Shivaji Nagar !!!
He is not aware of any Bamboo bazaar in KR market.....:rolleyes: I asked a pan shop waala, and he showed the exact place... Even the googlemaps shows the place.

The cop is right, Bamboo Bazaar is near Shivajinagar. Pricing of the MDF is good, considering you got it cut to size also.

I got it drilled @ a Grill making shop yesterday. Rs.100 for 20 holes.
And thanks a lot Gobble for mentioning to take a round file which helped me a lot in inserting the rodes thru the panels. I just connected and checked. Will sand and paint next week after removing the panels again.

sharp spikes can be made using the machine used to sharpen the drill bits for lathe, all lathe shops have these

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back