DIY audiophile rack

@ gobble

Hi gobble, i have been following this thread, and i need to ask-

is there an evidence based protocol for the construction of these racks for audio
equipment ?

or is it like black-magic?

Suri

You are the master builder. I'm just a novice. I go by superstition not evidence, hence I cut my sheets per the golder ratio :) just kidding. No protocol, I just used all the advice given by more experienced members on this forum and decided on the following

1. Core advice was Anil Kumars link to FlexiRack
2. Ensured Spiked feet after following this forum (well atleast 2 legs have 2mm spikes). Stupendous/Massive improvement over placing amp/cdp on floor :)
3. Struggled with paint finishing MDF and discovered only velvet roller works (towards the end). Browsed a lot of websites to figure how to apply finish on mdf.
4. Rest all advice is flexi rack instructions. Since I discovered it sways sideways on 3 legs, adviced 4 legs to Krishna.

The only magic mantra I can recommend is spikes.

HTH
Cheers

hi anandkrishnantc,

True, and i now wonder if the entire audiophile experience (this being subjective) is based on black magic!!:)

I built my rack over 3 to 4 weekends. all this while the amp+cdp was on the floor.
Comparing spiked feet (minimal upward path for vibes) to "floor" effect heard over one full month I will swear by spiked feet for equipment anyday!!!

Thats the only blackmagic I will recommend. :licklips:

Cheers

PS: the idea of 3 legs is to minimize contact points with the floor.

I thought of cutting into 29"x18"

But I guess my maths gone wrong..(as usual :))
u said the sheet is 32 Square feet. 8' long and 4' wide. How many 24"x15" pieces can be cut from it?
then 24x15 x5, u used almost the whole sheet? Let me know your computation.

29x18 looks too large. Think about aesthetics. My equipment fits perfectly within 24x15".

I recall leaving no significant mdf wasted.

Cheers

Interesting DIY racks:clapping:.

Here is a pic of my semi-DIY rack that I got made to my specs from a fabrication chap near my house, let me know what you think. The rack is made of two layers which can be seperated. The spikes of the top half fit into a hole drilled into the top of the lower half. From what I remember, the size if 47 by 20 inches. The picture is an old one and all the equipment except the TV has been removed and stored safely - away from my one year old son:). My dedicated Media Room is is almost complete, will post better pics later.

152126d1245853624-building-home-the.jpg

You can also see my semi-DIY Speaker stands on my intro thread below:
http://www.hifivision.com/introductions/5057-gday-all-you-av-enthusiasts.html#post59646

Last edited:
And moreover being in IT job, doing something creative with real-world stuff is thrilling....
+ 1 to that. Biggest stress buster these are.

If we just walk thru SP road once, can understand, the amazing world of metal and tools. Now want to quit the IT job to become a carpenter.....
Even I find it difficult to come out of SP Road/NR Road/JC Road without spending more money and time there.

29x18 looks too large. Think about aesthetics. My equipment fits perfectly within 24x15".

I recall leaving no significant mdf wasted.

Cheers

Now I got it. You have mentioned its a 6x4 feet sheet. Not 8x4. So it wont be a problem with your size. I will also take the same size.

Last edited:
santhol2 ,
pretty cool unit ....seperation idea is very good for easy moving ,cleaning but it dint got proper shot ..telling about the pic...

i hope to see a better pic..

possible additions. .

keep a dark colored small synthetic carpet below ..
may be a few blue/orange LEDs focussing downwards at the corners..a small mod with SMPS 50Rs +10Rs LEDs..

santhol2 ,
pretty cool unit ....seperation idea is very good for easy moving ,cleaning but it dint got proper shot ..telling about the pic...

i hope to see a better pic..

possible additions. .

keep a dark colored small synthetic carpet below ..
may be a few blue/orange LEDs focussing downwards at the corners..a small mod with SMPS 50Rs +10Rs LEDs..

Will definitely post better pics soon. Thanks for the LED idea, will implement shortly. Is the carpet to avoid resonance?

Now I got it. You have mentioned its a 6x4 feet sheet. Not 8x4. So it wont be a problem with your size. I will also take the same size.

did I? sorry about that, frankly I dont remember myself. Take a 2x2 feet long sheet. 6 sheets can be cut from a 6x4 board correct? now we dont want squares, so 14.7" sides width should suffice. This will make golden ratio.

Keep one spare in case the paint finish job gets messy. :)

Cheers

Will definitely post better pics soon. Thanks for the LED idea, will implement shortly. Is the carpet to avoid resonance?

just to give better contrast to the rack...as it will hide the floor and a rich view of hifi equipment ...for sound i think
full carpet layout is needed..i am a noob in room treatments:)!

Anand can you enlighten us on the shop location/name and the pricing?

~dich

Sofar: 4 SS rods (20mm) 580 each
40 SS washers(20mm)-10 each
40 SS nuts(20mm) -22 each

There are a lot of shops in SP road area. I just walked straight on SP road. after some distance, the road becomes narrow and immediately widen in a small crossing. take left from there you get a shop immediately leftside.

And many shops have brass rods also, but without thread. If you have enough money, buy SS / MS rods (Normal steel rods comes with a decent coating, so bangalore weather , no rust will come, and cheaper also.), and buy brass pipes, available for around 400 per KG,in many shops. and the rack will be ultimate luxury... :)

Brass roads are around 350 per KG.But need to take to a fabricator to get threads. 1 mtr, 19mm rod may cost 750 +.

Best is brass pipe.

If dont buy, no problem, just walk around and see the world of metal...

Unfortuantely, I dont have a vehicle. So need to depend on public transport. Otherwise I would have bought a lot of stuff from there..

The SS rods seems to last for my lifetime. And I can keep a small elephant also on the rack.

Last edited:
Thanks. This is extremely useful.
And many shops have brass rods also, but without thread. If you have enough money, buy SS / MS rods (Normal steel rods comes with a decent coating, so bangalore weather , no rust will come, and cheaper also.), and buy brass pipes, available for around 400 per KG,in many shops. and the rack will be ultimate luxury... :)
Do you mean put brass pipes over the steel to make it look nice?
Will not that leads to vibrations?

~dich

Thanks. This is extremely useful.

Do you mean put brass pipes over the steel to make it look nice?
Will not that leads to vibrations?

~dich
the brass pipes should be upto the Steel washer. So the other parts are isolated from the pipes.so the weight is only on the rods dampening the MDF boards with rubber/polyester washers. But from outside , it will look like the pipes are the pillars :)

Last edited:
Sofar: 4 SS rods (20mm) 580 each
40 SS washers(20mm)-10 each
40 SS nuts(20mm) -22 each
You are paying hefty amount...

let me tell you 4 legged rack with rounded legs...
glass fittings lpads done(glass/mdf extra),awesomely polished(mirror)..
was quoted 2k to me..!

with 4 raw legs 2k + gone?
So be careful;)

Anand,
Please post some pictures of what you have procured, progress and addresses of shops. I am sure this information will help others interested:)

Last edited:
You are paying hefty amount...

let me tell you 4 legged rack with rounded legs...
glass fittings lpads done(glass/mdf extra),awesomely polished(mirror)..
was quoted 2k to me..!

with 4 raw legs 2k + gone?
So be careful;)

How many levels? 2 or 5?

Cheers

@ all thread participants,

came across this -

AudioFederation - Catalog of High-End Audio Equipment Racks, Stands and Platforms

interesting designs that S. Patrappa road in bangalore can supply material for!:clapping:

oh yes sardar patrappa road - i lived in basavanagudi for many years, and my favourite places were the (1) the park, with it's table tennis building and (2) sardar patrappa road and the area behind canara bank head office, exiting at the george oakes building

Last edited:
Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back