DIY audiophile rack

If you are using wood, why not use wooden legs instead of nuts/bolts? The whole setup will look uniform and nicer too.
Also, I believe the circular logs are for speaker stands. Ain't they too low for BS and too high for FS?

~dich

Then thats making a regular table - m not a carpenter.

Borrowed the design from here: The TNT FleXy Table

Here is an acrylic design : diyrack

The logs are 2 ft in height. Quite sufficient. Actually I was regretting not making them 1.5 feet. Is for book shelfs not floor standers - they don't need stands as the name suggests.

HTH

Hi
As i told glass look good and I want to place the stand near my 42" LCD ...
Thee will Be AV Amp, another Sony Mini System, Pioneer DVD , STb & WDTV on it --so I am not bothered about audiophile qualities !!!Least for now..

Looks is important to me ..I understand that stainless steel rod and shining nuts would be great but unfortunatly i was not able to procure it.

One of my friends have a factory unit and told that he will arrange hrad crome plating but I need to carry hardware from Vashi ( Navi Mumbai) to Dahisar check naka !!!!:mad::mad::indifferent14:

I'll explore the possibality later...

Anyway how about painting the stud and bolt......

Using the glass -

When you use the glass there is not much DIY remaining - only pain I had to take is to cut studs - rest is all assembly.

In case of wood /ply you need to
1) Cut
2) Prepare corners
3) Planing -( most painful task)
4) Applying polish or laminate
5) Coner polish or laminate
6) Drilling holes

Another option is to paint

Or get it all done by carpnter...

NOw in mumbai labour rates are increasing and many times you do not gate partial material ( you are forced to buy 8 x 4 Sheets )

I was not able to locate reasonaball=y prised acrylic dealer - and then have no expereince or expertise working with acrylic ...

Hoping to finish the stand in 1 week as first I've to paint the nuts -will keep you posted

Hemant

Here is a pic of the tools and equipment I got to make mine

Note the nuts and steel rod (my nuts are shinier than yours :) )

http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/7223/toolsj.png

Regards

"my nuts are shinier than yours :"

I hope people will not find any "ANOTHER " meaning!!!:clapping::eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah:

Or in plane Hindi ( Moderator please excuse) a homage to Vintage Rin Ads-

"Bhala tera rod mere rod se chamkila kaise?????" ( No double meaning please !!!:cool::cool::rolleyes::rolleyes::eek:hyeah:

" Woh toooools muze de de thakur!!!"

:cheers::cheers::thumbsup:

Do not attempt to make this rack with glass shelves. It's not safe and it could crack/ shatter because of pressure on holes by the steel rods.

Already done - different expereince
sorry due to my laziness not posted photographs -will post soon

Guess what? Looking for a better rack and this thread is immensely helpful.

I think I'm going to go with the 'solid wood' school of rack-making as the first priority is to ensure that heavy components are securely placed.

Dinyaar, if you don't mind can you post some close-ups of your rack? Is that 2 columns supporting the shelves? Also what's the strongest way to fasten the racks to the columns (name of joint etc. sorry my knowledge is scant in these things)

I must say deeply impressed by your DIY skills! Thanks mate.

Thank you for the info. I finished building the flexi rack yesterday and here are the results. :D

Pics are 640x480 res.

Appreciate your posting the info - I had few reasonable choices in the market and really enjoyed making the rack.

Cheers

Hi Gobble,

I liked your speaker stands.Can you please provide more details.

Hi Gobble,

I liked your speaker stands.Can you please provide more details.

Hey Iyer

Just go to any Timber yard and ask for the smoothest and evenly rounded log of wood you see. Mine is Sal wood, 2ft tall and 15" diameter. total 4ft cost me 5500/- and each 2ft trunk weighed 78kgs in the yard. Now it has dried a bit so must be 70+ still. If you live on top floor and no lift in your apartment then you are out of luck and simply forget about it. Even dragging them up one small flight of stairs was a huge task. Threateningly back breaking and you have to watch out for your fingers getting jammed when it rolls. :)

A 5mtr thick rope 1" dia is needed to loop it around and drag it + 3 people.

Actually an 18" long trunk is sufficient or you can go for a lighter lower quality wood - it should still weigh 30kgs I'm sure.

If you see a carpenter working in the corner of the yard, ask him to level and polish the top and bottom surfaces with a grinder there itself. I rented the electric grinder and polished it myself. You will need 3 or 4 no:20 or 30 circular 3M grinding paper that costs 10 rupees each. Grinder can be rented for Rs. 50/- a day.

I procured the 15" dia 12mm glass rounds and suckers from Mr. Murthy who polished them for me. Don't recall the price now but maybe less than 800/- or something.

HTH
Cheers

Last edited:
avoid acrylics is u can .. they attract more dust ...if u clean also..they will become like blurred cheap plastic on the long run

if some one can hide the screws that will give awesome look like this one
Isorack%203%20level,%20resized_1.jpg

Last edited:
If you are using wood, why not use wooden legs instead of nuts/bolts? The whole setup will look uniform and nicer too.
Also, I believe the circular logs are for speaker stands. Ain't they too low for BS and too high for FS?

~dich
If a person knows how to make wooden legs and shape it, then y people need to visit this thread? Wood work is the ultimate luxury.Even you make golden legs, it cant beat high quality wood in look and luxury.

Last edited:
threaded S.S Rod one meter length, 19mm dia ( 3 nos). Rs. 27 per S.S Nut (20mm I.D), Rs. 8 - 11 (don't remember) per M.S Washer (20mm I.D), Rs 4 per Rubber washer ( 6 nuts/washers per panel, again 20mm I.D), Rs. 80 for 500 ml paint, Rs. 70 for primer, Rs 170 for roller handle with 4 velvet (do not get foam) rollers (Rs 40 per roller), Rs. 20 - 35 for brush ( don't buy - I found the velvet roller better), Rs 10 per sand paper (buy a few sheets of 3M brand 320 and 800 nos), 6x4 feet MDF, Rs 32/Sq.ft, Rs 40 per panel for cutting, drilling and shaping the MDF ( total 5 panels), Rs. 45 for half round file ( the 20mm bore in the MDF panels needs to be carefully filed from inside so it will slide through the rod without having to screw rotate it, Rs 10 for wooden handle for file.... half liter of blue ration Kerosene for thinning primer, paint ... did I miss anything? Will post later if I remember.

Where did you source the raw materials in Bangalore(planning to take this weekend). Especially the rods and nuts?
If u use 3 legs, is there any tendency to topple the whole thing?
Why u didnt use Plywood? is the MDF is better (or cheaper)?

Where did you source the raw materials in Bangalore(planning to take this weekend). Especially the rods and nuts?

I walked the bylanes of the hardware market asking around. It took 3 hours in total to find whatever I needed. The place is very dangerous to walk around with people moving and turning with sharp objects, rods and stuff carelessly on very narrow roads. The 3 legged rack sways sideways and I would recommend 4 rods. Ensure you buy all 4 rods with a 2mm protrusion at one tip (from the casting process?). Two of my rods have it and saves me from fitting spikes. Believe me tiptoes are good for hifi equipment. Flat Rubber washers can be had from Vohra traders on the left side of main road some 300 mtrs after you walk away from the computer market - the only one I found after 3 visits. SS rods from Mehta traders, I believe tucked in one of the numerous bylanes midway towards the end of the main sp road - you will have to search I'm afraid.

Cheers

I walked the bylanes of the hardware market asking around. It took 3 hours in total to find whatever I needed. The place is very dangerous to walk around with people moving and turning with sharp objects, rods and stuff carelessly on very narrow roads. The 3 legged rack sways sideways and I would recommend 4 rods. Ensure you buy all 4 rods with a 2mm protrusion at one tip (from the casting process?). Two of my rods have it and saves me from fitting spikes. Believe me tiptoes are good for hifi equipment. Flat Rubber washers can be had from Vohra traders on the left side of main road some 300 mtrs after you walk away from the computer market - the only one I found after 3 visits. SS rods from Mehta traders, I believe tucked in one of the numerous bylanes midway towards the end of the main sp road - you will have to search I'm afraid.

Cheers
Ok. I have good experience in searching these kind of areas. So I will take the challenge.

:)

MDF is supposed to be acoustically "dead". Shouldnt matter too much, but then small differences matter a l:)ot in hifi ...

Be prepared to have your brain fried on SP road. It is a mentally exhausting process. :)

Cheers

Hai Hifiashok,

I can see a NORGE amp & EQ, pl let us know what are those models and from which year of mfg.

N.Murali.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back