DIY audiophile rack

Hi,
Just planned and started working on DIY stand
Now some observations
1) Threaded pipe is called "STUD" I found 16 MM Dia 1 Meter length , MS ( Not stainless steel) @ Rs 80 ( 2 Pieces)
2) Nuts I found in MS only , not very shiny and some rusted,ditto about so called plated washers , also bought rubber washers
3) A spanner for Nuts

Total above hardware RS 500

Now there is shocker!!

Plan is to build 50 cm stand with 4 planks 22 In X 18 In with 4 studes in corner.

My first plan to use glass as It looks cool and I am not good with wood

Now I require 4FT x 3 Ft sheet ( Total)
The quotes are

10 MM Glass appx 65 to 75 Rs PSF
Polish Rs 10 Per running feet ( appx 7 FT per Sheet)

AND cost of drilling - Rs. 50-60 To Rs 100 PER HOLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A sheet comes to around Rs 500 far ahead of my budget !!!

So guys now planning with wood only!And thinkso need to locate a carpemter....

I am from navi mumbai and will be greatful if anyone can direct me to lowest priced glass shop ( target price - Total glass cost Rs 1000)

Will keep you posted about the progress!!

Looks like you did not scout the right market. dunno where in Mumbai the big hardware market is so can't help there.

Just find a electric power tools rental and get a power drill. Rental is Rs. 50/- per day if you return tool by 7 to 8 pm. A drill bit should cost 20 rupees. Get 3 or 4 to spare are you are sure to blunt the edge being a novice.

Regards

Looks like you did not scout the right market. dunno where in Mumbai the big hardware market is so can't help there.

Just find a electric power tools rental and get a power drill. Rental is Rs. 50/- per day if you return tool by 7 to 8 pm. A drill bit should cost 20 rupees. Get 3 or 4 to spare are you are sure to blunt the edge being a novice.

Regards

measure 10 times and drill once. Also make sure to use a diamod head bit as others might crack the glass depending on the angle you may go into the glass.

drilling glass is not as easy as it seems

the largest commercial glass market in mumbai is "jamli mohalla" close to duncan road off mohammedali road.

however i know where you can get hold of used glass sheets.(its the lane off bharat bazar at duncan road)
i use them myself.
once they arepolished they are as good as new

i got hold of 4 pieces of glass
2 nos 19mm thick 8*10 inches with a centre hole drilled
2 nos 12 mm 6*8 thickness with hole drilled
glass was cut from larger sheets and polished
All for half price

if you come to south mumbai
give me a buzz , and ill help you out

Last edited:
Centre hole? Why?

whats the mumbai price of 12mm glass? Didn't know 19mm is available. Nobody in Bangalore seems to mention it.

Regards

Hi Hemant,

Magma has mentioned the places to go for glass in bbay. Apart from that for small quantities one can also go to Nana chowk/grant road.

PLEASE DONT TRY DRILLING HOLES IN GLASS YOURSELF. Not as easy as it seems.

Rgds

Thanks thanks...

I myself have a power drill - Black & Decker one ( Indian Bajaj B & D - with warentee!)

But I do not think drill bits for glass so cheap ( in fact branded masonary bits are Rs 40-50.)
Also cutting glass is too difficult - I tried it once. I bought a chinese glass cutter and I was unable to make a singe scratch!!!!:mad::eek:

I think drilling glass is skilled work with expensive bits ( that is the reason given)
?

Anyone has first hand glass drilling xpereince?Or anyone got very low quotes??

Or I think I have to work with wood only - get it cut and laminated

Hi
The glass fetish was too difficult to remove :eek:hyeah::cool::sad:
So near oshiwara I found low cost ( relatively ) solution

Heavy 12 mm glass @ 85 Rs psf
Polishing 10 Rs per running foot ( perimeter)
Holes Rs 25 per hole!!:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Now 4 sheets of 22 Inches x 18 inches ( appx 2 ft x 1.5 ft) cost is 1700 RS..
50 Rs discount ( to keep my "maan":licklips::licklips::D) - 1650 Rs

I am certain he saw the desparation in my eyes :indifferent14:;) and earlier rates given were lesser....
So I think 1550 - 1600 or even lesser may possible.

It was at Behram baug, Oshiwara , Betwwen Jogeshwari and Lokhandwala( for details please contact)

Let me find batteries for digicam and I'll post pictures...
Nuts and stud looks LOUSY but plating is option I cannot consider
I am planning to paint the bolts..( silver finish paint - 200 ML @ RS 45)

will keep everyone posted

Hi

Nuts and stud looks LOUSY but plating is option I cannot consider
I am planning to paint the bolts..( silver finish paint - 200 ML @ RS 45)

will keep everyone posted

I think you need to search the right place for them. I got shiny S.S ones @27/- for 19mm inner diameter.

cheers

@hemantwaghe
Why don't you use acrylic sheets instead of glass? They can be safer than glass?

theoratically rack is easy to disassamble -i'll get it hard chromed later.
fir lemme assemble it

Acrylic will flex and introduce vibrations if used by itself (even if you use 19mm sheets)

However if you are gonna lay a sheet of acrylic over say a teak wood shelf then thats a good deadner
it can take out the ill effects of wood or glass ( if anyone beleives these materials to have any that is)

i have used acrylic caosters between my amp and cdp ( in stacked position)

Also i wanted to get some guru opinions on the following
Has anyone tried stacking their AMP over their DVDP or CDP
(normally i see people doing it the other way round, to which i see advantages.Instead the heat from the top of the amp will not be ventialted and instead will heat the cdp up too)

i found two advantages to what i suggested
1) the top of your amp is open for better ventilation
2) the wieght of the amp on the DVDP acts as a deadweight stopping small jitter vibrations to an extent
(i have seen people adding wieght to the top of their CDP for the above purpose too)

The above is applicable only if you are gonna stack your components one on top of the other ( ofcourse not recommended if youve go the space to place them seperately)

Here is a pic of the tools and equipment I got to make mine
If you are using wood, why not use wooden legs instead of nuts/bolts? The whole setup will look uniform and nicer too.
Also, I believe the circular logs are for speaker stands. Ain't they too low for BS and too high for FS?

~dich

What you say makes sense. But here it seems fine: diyrack

man if he could place so much weight on 12-15 mm acrylic sheets
wow
i take my words back.

ive made a sub box ( ICE ) using acrylic. i found it to flex a bit compared to glass or wood

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back