DIY audiophile rack

12mm Glass is strong enough, but glass has a fear of cracking. I'd proceed with caution! Plus, glass resonates at high frequencies - but I wouldn't worry about that too much unless you have a very very resolving high end system.

I've seen an audiophiles high end setup costing 4 lacs around, where the Linn Floorstanders were further isolated on a glass mounted stand with spikes.

should not be a problem on hi-res systems I suppose.

cheers

@gobble, In the third image you posted shouldn't the rubber washer come below the metal washer ? In other words shouldn't the rubber washers be in contact with wood ?

@hemanth.hg - 12mm float glass from Saint Gobain costs Rs. 90/Sq. ft in my place. They can cut the sheets free of cost. For polishing the edges they charge between Rs. 5 - 12 per foot. The real challenge when you use glass to create this stand comes in drilling the holes :eek: I'm not sure how much they would charge for drilling holes.
Also with glass plates the setup will look gorgeous when you cover the threaded rod with stainless steel tubes.

Last edited:
Well, i exactly intend to do that, get 12MM glass ( which again is ~ Rs 95 / sq FT ) and get the sides polished and the holes drilled.

If possible, the Stainless steel tubes for the Threaded rod as Mod-the-PC has mentioned. Also, to get spikes make from Brass to minimize the contact, custom made once the Rack is ready.

Additionally, What is the height that you would suggest between two rackshelves ? If this is fixed height, considering the sizes of most AV Gear that is used, the Stainless Steel tubes could be made accordingly :cool:

1 more question, how do you define a "high resolving system", coz i literally have no idea of this.

If you keep a 4 inch long thread on your custom steel tubes, you will have the freedom to move them up or down as required. 8 inches between shelves should suffice I think.

Regards

Also, to get spikes make from Brass to minimize the contact, custom made once the Rack is ready.
@prashant_dv, why can't you get the spikes by taper turning the stainless steel rod in a lathe ? Is the Brass spike necessary ? How would you attach it to the rods (screw them ?) ?

@mod-the-pc:

No such specific reason to use Brass for the spikes, only that i had custom made such spikes for my Floor Standers.

I dont think we can screw the threaded rod with the spike, what i was intending is to have a threaded hole in the spike such that the threaded rod can be screwed directly onto it ( maybe 1/2 or 3/4 inch long thread hole )..

Not that this is the only way, i am open to suggestions.
Am planning to build this next month..

@mod-the-pc:

No such specific reason to use Brass for the spikes, only that i had custom made such spikes for my Floor Standers.

How much did the brass spikes cost you per piece? What are the dimensions? Are they more expensive than S.S and M.S ?

cheers

I am wondering is Marble will be better than Glass. Surely that must be a 'deader' and heavier base for the equipment?

I am wondering is Marble will be better than Glass. Surely that must be a 'deader' and heavier base for the equipment?

I tried an experiment with a marble roti roller base for my speakers - the sound changed - the high-mids were being swallowed. Not sure if it is "dead" material.

Cheers

I tried an experiment with a marble roti roller base for my speakers - the sound changed - the high-mids were being swallowed. Not sure if it is "dead" material.

Cheers

I am surprised... One often reads that HiFi equipment are best placed directly on the floor (so long as its not wooden) etc... :confused:

Granite slabs are a better idea.

HI SHAHRUKH,
Was reading the thread when i saw your post about the granite
i have made a granite spring-loaded audio rack.
these are the pictures
each rack can bear 35 kg and each rack has device for levelling
the top shelf has two slabs of granite with half inch springs in between the slabs, and the other three slabs are suspended from the top shelf by springs which run the whole length from top to bottom.
cheers
Suri

Attachments

• P1030836.jpg
    P1030836.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 277
  • P1030838.jpg
    P1030838.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 271
Last edited:
The granite has a wooden edge jointed to the legs ? Or is it free to move and adjust?

Can you provide more details like an How-To article on how to construct a spring loaded one embedded in a wooden frame? It looks very nice and decent enough for the living room.

Regards

Hi gobble,
the granite shelves are completely free to move and adjust
once the component is placed on the granite it moves downward and then with a spirit level placed on the component adjustments are made at the four corners with locatable stoppers on the springs under the granite to get a perfect horizontal relative to gravity
the granite slabs are rimmed with wood and this is separated from the corners of the uprights by teflon slices
cheers
suri
yes , i will post detailed diagrams and pictures to enable construction

Hi Suri,

I love the idea of a suspended rack. And I must say it's very very finely crafted. However this is the first time I'm seeing springs on a rack. Any particular reason why you opted for this instead of damping the two shelves with something like cork or bitumen?

Also, do you like the difference in sound produced by the granite? Do let me know!

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back