Diy HT Room

Pretty cool isnt it. Would want to do it.

I think he used fabric to cover the glass wool. Is that a possibility. Is there any other way to covering the glass wool. Instead of getting the Anutone boards cant we do it this way. We can buy glass wool locally. Use the carpenter services to do it.

This should cut down significant amount of costs. In addition your argument holds good where in we can experiment with the placement of these panels.

I have already started thinking about these. WIll want to think about the disadvantages.

Our forum experts inputs are appreciated.

George,

I remember you wanted to do your room treatment done some time back. Has it got done. If not this is the way to go Unless there are serious disadvantages in this method.

Inputs from sidvee, esanthol, subash, venkat cr, cmsajith and others will be appreciated.

Thanks
Pandu

Pandu - This is an excellent way to get into inexpensive acoustic panels. In fact my very first experiences 10 years ago was through DIY. I even built the frames myself buying 2'x4' lumber from home depot and using a circular saw to make cuts. As I said in another post the only concern that I had - was that I used pink insulation for the filling - and this was very itchy. Anyways it is a good start. Make sure that the panels you build or get built are atleast 4" thick so they absorb lower frequencies as well.
Cheers
Sid

Hi Pandu

I havent been able to start as yet because there is some work that needs to be done in my basement before I can start, and the contractor who was supposed to complete that work has been dilly dallying. Once that job is done I plan to get started on my HT room the very next day. In the mean time I am researching and monitoring all threads( including yours!)

George

Nice info GeorgeO. 1000w (Manish) also did a similar DIY. Would be interesting to know his review. He is inactive on HFV these days though.

I think he used fabric to cover the glass wool. Is that a possibility. Is there any other way to covering the glass wool. Instead of getting the Anutone boards cant we do it this way. We can buy glass wool locally. Use the carpenter services to do it.

This should cut down significant amount of costs. In addition your argument holds good where in we can experiment with the placement of these panels.
Go for it mate, it is not very difficult if you have a willing carpenter. Buy your carpenter and everyone involved a pair of gloves(surgical gloves should suffice) and eye protection like I did. I have used a "fiberglass tissue cloth" to prevent the fiberglass flakes from flying. They are available at the local Twiga dealer. Let me know if you find difficult sourcing it, I can send you a roll.

Inputs from sidvee, esanthol, subash, venkat cr, cmsajith and others will be appreciated.
esanthol = esanthosh of santhol2?. If it is me, just call me Santhosh:)

Pandu - This is an excellent way to get into inexpensive acoustic panels. In fact my very first experiences 10 years ago was through DIY. I even built the frames myself buying 2'x4' lumber from home depot and using a circular saw to make cuts. As I said in another post the only concern that I had - was that I used pink insulation for the filling - and this was very itchy. Anyways it is a good start. Make sure that the panels you build or get built are atleast 4" thick so they absorb lower frequencies as well.
Sid, the pink insulation is not found here, but I can assure you the yellow is equally itchy:eek:hyeah:. I came across a thread by IndianEars where he had used the pink insulation by Dupont. On contacting Dupont, they could not point me to anything in India, so went ahead with Twiga which is also of very good quality. Yup, make the panels 4 inch deep. Use two layers of glasswool - 50mm(2 inches approx) of low density(25 or 32 kgm) glass wool for the layer facing the room and another 50mm of high density(48kgm).

Link below should give you a fair idea of NRC of various products. Not everything is available here, but one can draw a parallell:
http://www.bobgolds.com/AbsorptionCoefficients.htm

Sid, the pink insulation is not found here, but I can assure you the yellow is equally itchy:eek:hyeah:. I came across a thread by IndianEars where he had used the pink insulation by Dupont. On contacting Dupont, they could not point me to anything in India, so went ahead with Twiga which is also of very good quality. Yup, make the panels 4 inch deep. Use two layers of glasswool - 50mm(2 inches approx) of low density(25 or 32 kgm) glass wool for the layer facing the room and another 50mm of high density(48kgm).

Link below should give you a fair idea of NRC of various products. Not everything is available here, but one can draw a parallell:
http://www.bobgolds.com/AbsorptionCoefficients.htm

Santosh/George - great info.:thumbsup: Seriously without members like yourself there would be no interest/information in acoustic treatment which IMO is the most important "equipment" in a media room and unfortunately costs a bomb.
I just got a quote for 8 (24" x 24") GIK D1 diffusers - The diffusers themselves cost $100 ea. for $800 total but shipping to hyd. is $450:mad: and does not even include customs.
Cheers
Sid

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back