DIY input selector with ON-OFF-ON switch question.

sim_tcr

Is it possible to build an INPUT selector with ON-OFF-ON toggle switch ?

312oOxOJzRS.jpg

The need is,
I have an amplifier which only takes one audio input (left and right).
I want to connect two inputs to it (using above switch) , So that I can either choose the first input or second input.

I am not able to figure out how the wiring would be.

Last edited:
Yes it can be done with the appropriate switch.

Keep in mind the following:

1. The switch you have shown is a Single Pole Double Throw (SPDT) Switch.... ie it can select any one of 2 inputs.

2. BUT.... Stereo is 2 Channels (left & right)
So you will need a Double Pole Double Throw (DPDT) Switch..... also easily available.

Yes it can. The relay board noted above is an enhanced solution that keeps the audio signals confined to a small area of the box versus having to run line level audio cables around inside the box. But plain switches have been used for over 80 years switching line level audio signals in millions of products and work just fine.

Yes it can be done with the appropriate switch.

Keep in mind the following:

1. The switch you have shown is a Single Pole Double Throw (SPDT) Switch.... ie it can select any one of 2 inputs.

2. BUT.... Stereo is 2 Channels (left & right)
So you will need a Double Pole Double Throw (DPDT) Switch..... also easily available.
I have two of these switches, I was hoping one for left channel and another for right channel.
Are you able to please help me with a simple wiring diagram ?

Are you able to please help me with a simple wiring diagram ?
Diagram Attached..... I hope its self explanatory :)

Simply Joint all Grounds (The Shield or "Jali" wire ) together.... ie Join / twist together the Shields from the Amplifier, RPI & Laptop

Attachments

• dpdt-1.jpg
    dpdt-1.jpg
    358.4 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Diagram Attached..... I hope its self explanatory :)

Simply Joint all Grounds (The Shield or "Jali" wire ) together.... ie Join / twist together the Shields from the Amplifier, RPI & Laptop
So the grounds from each signal combined need not connected to the switch at all? As if they are directly connected without switch.

Last edited:
My DIY amp (ELekit TU8200) has a DPDT switch for two inputs. The issue is I find signal "leak" from the input 2 when there is no signal on input 1. Probably due to common ground.

My DIY amp (ELekit TU8200) has a DPDT switch for two inputs. The issue is I find signal "leak" from the input 2 when there is no signal on input 1. Probably due to common ground.
Or just simple crosstalk inside the switch. If you turn the volume all the way up switched to a dead input while the other has a signal playing, it's not at all uncommon to have some bleed through. But under normal listening conditions, this really isn't an issue. The music or whatever will swamp out the minuscule crosstalk.

If this is still a problem for anybody, you can make T type switch configurations that short all unused inputs. But be careful with that as there you can have crosstalk through the ground system. There is no such thing as a dead short or zero ohms resistance in the real world. Perfection is never easy or cheap and all fields of engineering are based on compromises.

I tried the same for an DIY preamp, I ended up shorting for one input. May be because of cramped space to work in that cabinet soldering went wrong.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back